View Single Post
Old 03-24-2002, 06:36 AM   #5
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dűm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The answer (or as much of an answer as there can be to such a question) probably lies in the quotes you gave.

Quote:
And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'
Melkor, because of the dischord which he put into the Music of the Ainur, marred Arda before it had begun. He was, it seems a necessary part of creation: Chaos. Because of his evil, many great and wonderful things came to pass which would not have happened otherwise. His evil often turned ultimately to good.

In the Ainulindalë it is said that the Ainur 'did not yet comprehend the words that were said to them' in the about quote. It is possible that the moment Manwë finally understands these words comes when he hears Fëanor's answer to the Doom of Mandos:

Quote:
But at that last word of Fëanor: that at the least the Noldor should do deeds to live in song for ever, he raised his head, as one that hears a voice far off, and he said: 'So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been.'
It seems that, in Tolkien's world at least, evil deeds are fated to only further the cause of good in the end. The rising of the sun and moon to illuminate Middle Earth is another example of how good proceeded from Melkor's destruction of the two trees.

Finally, here's a rather interesting quote, spoken by Ilúvatar to the Ainur, from the very earliest version of the Ainulindalë. It's not canonical, of course, but it might shed some light on things.

Quote:
"Through him [Melko] has pain and misery been made in the clash of overwhelming musics; and with confusion of sound have cruelty, and ravening, and darkness, loathly mire and all putrescence of thought of thing, foul mists and violent flame, cold without mercy, been born, and death without hope. Yet is this through him and not by him; and he shall wee, and ye all likewise, and even shall those beings, who must now dwell among his evil and endure though Melko misery and sorrow, terror and wickedness, declare in the end that it redoundeth only to my great glory, and doth but make the theme more worth the hearing, Life more worth the living, and the World so much the more wonderful and marvellous, that of all the deeds of Ilúvatar it shall be called his mightiest and his loveliest."
Whew! That was a long post.