View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #2785
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Hmm. 'Long drowned', of a jewel, makes me think of the original Elendilmir, which went into the river with Isildur. It was found by Saruman looking for the Ring, so 'for a jewel [it] was found' would fit.

'Long treasured' also fits: it was an heirloom of Andunie since Silmarien. 'To my heirs a jewel I bequeathed' says the speaker must be one of its bearers before its loss: Silmarien, Valandil, Earendur, Amandil, Elendil, or Isildur.

So 'Nothing, and a jewel incomplete' sounds like a cryptic/spell-it-out line. SILMARIEN? Her name is mostly an incomplete Silmaril, with just 'en/ne' left over as 'nothing'.

hS
You've got it!

However, by "for a jewel my jewel was found" I meant, "to be worn by Elessar" and I was think of the last part of Silmarien's name being "rien" (i.e. "nothing" in French).

Over to you!