Thread: The Palantiri
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2002, 07:43 PM   #6
Belin
Shade of Carn Dm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Sting

Now, Gandalf, be nice to Pippin; I wouldn’t say you’re terribly adept at staying away from trouble yourself. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And now for Belin’s wild hypothesis about Pippin (and, trust me, I have a lot of those): Maybe, since the stones called to each other, Sauron was reaching through them to exert a similar pull on their users. Denethor seems to have been more and more drawn to and dependant upon his, after all, and before Pippin looked in the Orthanc-Stone, Gandalf was thinking of looking in it, even though he afterward admitted that it might not have been such a good idea for him to have done so, so perhaps it was working on his mind as well after he’d touched it. Pippin, as usual, was in the wrong place at the wrong time (or maybe it was the right place at the right time, after all).

And on the other hand, stepping from a literal level to a literary one, I wonder if it isn’t somehow parallel to Frodo’s experience with the Ring, in its own small way.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote