View Single Post
Old 03-28-2002, 12:57 AM   #23
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

inglorion, sweetie, look at it from Tolkien's point of view. Good ol' J.R.R. was a Christian. One of the pillars of Christianity is adherrence to the law of God. The trick is, no one is forced to obey. We are all given a choice, and thus may be seduced by our own selfish desire, which is what happened to Melkor. Melkor here is a manifestation of Lucifer.
Further, Jesus wanted people to follow him out of their own free will and love. Humanity tends to twist that concept around, as brilliantly demonstated by Fyodor Dostoevsky in the chapter entitled 'The Grand Inquisitor' in The Brothers Karamazov. This is great reading for everyone who is pondering the Melkor/Ilúvatar dilemma, particulalry the question of whether or not we can blame Ilúvatar for what happened to Melkor, which, apparently, you are trying to do (though this chapter is much more complex than what is written in The Silmarillion.
Personally speaking, I think Melkor's greatest problem was his lack of love..."And the greatest of these is love," remember? Of course, this is just your friendly neighborhood Russian Orthodox Christian speaking, and God knows, I don't have it all figured out, but I am trying, and hopefully will be for the rest of my life.