View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 05:54 PM   #28
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Quote:
Lush - Who exactly is Jesus in your view of Middle-Earth?
Humph. I never said that there was any representation of Jesus in Middle Earth. I rather used His example to explain why I think Tolkien had Ilúvatar treat Melkor in the fashion that he did. It's all under the same umbrella of Christianity, you see.
Furthermore, your defense (am I right? Are you defending him?) for Melkor smacks of personal issues for me. Which is all right, because we all identify with characters in different ways. But in Melkor's case, coming from the Christian perspective (and J.R.R., once again, was a Christian), we are meant to pity him, but not to defend him, or make excuses for him. The sadness of his fate in no way excuses the horrible deeds that he preformed after the Music of the Ainur, not for me, at least, and not for Tolkien either, I suspect. In the end, Tolkien's Ilúvatar is the judge, not Man or Elf or Dwarf, etc. (remember what happened to the men that followed Melkor [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )
I think you can take whatever you want to take from the books, and I am not challenging your personal beliefs, but since the books were written by a Catholic, I thought it would be appropriate to bring in the Christian viewpoint here.
(...Wow, it is rare that someone like me will be in apparent harmony with those who walk under the Pope. I guess art is the only force that may bridge the gaps between us from time to time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )