View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I don't know why, but I got a rather odd sense of being in a dark, hidden world no man was meant to be in when reading about Aragorn and company passing through the Paths of the Dead. Tolkien did a terrific job of making time seem foreign there, and, if I recall, there was some village located there, cut off from the rest of the world, which mistook Aragorn as the King of the Dead and entered a panic. Very creepy, and it seemed like a different world altogether.

The Nazgul gained my respect as the book went on. From normal men who hissed when they spoke, they basically became Middle-Earth's personal Grim Reapers who could go anywhere incredibly quickly thanks to the fell beasts that they rode. Infact, whenever a Nazgul "entered the scene" everything seemed to become more interesting. In ROTK, the parts with the Witch-King in them just seem to glow with an aura of awesomeness.

Sauron, however, did not seem frightening at all. When Sauron fought with the Ring, two minor characters (Elendil and Gil-Galad) slew him in combat. Right off the bat, that made me think that the Ring wasn't so mighty, and since minor characters are typically less important than major characters (they are minor characters after all,) it made me think that Sauron was a pushover. Throughout the entire story, Sauron is just some dude sitting in a large tower we only see once (the tower, not Sauron.) In the end, Sauron just seemed like a weakling who hid from everybody and waited until his armies killed everything before he'd come out. He was only a figurehead and, like Big Brother, felt like he was not real and only a symbol to rally under. He was like Gollum or Grima, but without the will to take action on his own (Gollum) and without the trickery (Grima.) He corrupted Denethor, yes, but Denethor was already rather unstable, and it felt more like Denethor was insane than corrupted.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote