View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Well, it's been argued that Glorfindel merited a resurrection and returned to Middle Earth for his deeds.
Re-embodiment was not uncommon among Elves. Ecthelion almost certainly enjoyed this service of the Valar as well, although he may have had to wait until the ban on the Noldor's return to Aman was lifted.

It seems to me that the account actually specifies Ecthelion as the greatest warrior of the Noldor, but it has been a very long time since I have read it.

Since you (ecthelion) share my interest in Elf lords, you might be interested in the fact that there was a Galdor who dwelt with Cirdan at the Grey Havens, and there was also a mighty Elf lord named Galdor of the Tree in Gondolin at the time of its fall. At the Council of Elrond, the comment was made that "what power still remains [in Middle-earth] lies [...] in Imladris, or with Cirdan at the Havens, or in Lorien." Clearly Cirdan kept company with other mighty Elves. Galdor of the Tree returned?

I think Tolkien actually quashes this speculation regarding Galdor in his discussion of Glorfindel's identity, but I prefer to think he is wrong.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote