The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Morsul the Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,448
Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
American Readers(and others too)

Perhaps it is only because I live n Rhode Island but when Reading TH for the first time I was amazed at how many "cakes" the dwarves ate because I pictured a cake as a birthday cake not a (as Im assuming was meant) a biscuit did anyone else due to dialects misinterpret something as funny or unusual?

I put this here because although about the books it is a not serious
__________________
Morsul the Resurrected
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart
 
Lalwendė's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: under the bed
Posts: 4,737
Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I thought a biscuit in the US was something you poured gravy on (we pour it on chips, but then your chips aren't big chunky greasy yet strangely tasty things are they?....). What the dwarves ate would I suppose be equivalent to cup cakes in the US? Like birthday cake, but about small enough to put in your mouth all in one go. (I hasten to add, you would only put them in your mouth in one go if you were trying to snaffle them before your mother catches you stealing from the pantry.)
__________________
Gordon's alive!
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm
 
Shelob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the abysmal Abyss Mall.
Posts: 276
Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Morsul The Dark
Quote:
when Reading TH for the first time I was amazed at how many "cakes" the dwarves ate because I pictured a cake as a birthday cake not a (as Im assuming was meant) a biscuit
I assumed that by 'cake' it ment something which was easy to pack, lasted long, and was generally usefull in that sense (I can picture it but not describe it, sorry...though I guess an american biscuit would be close...maybe more of a scone in terms of texture) I just kind of ruled out stuff like birthday cakes because it would be really crumbly and therefore not much use for traveling or anything as well as being rather a strange thing to eat on a regular basis...

Lalwendė
Quote:
I thought a biscuit in the US was something you poured gravy on (we pour it on chips, but then your chips aren't big chunky greasy yet strangely tasty things are they?....).
After much thought, and trying to sort out in my ever-confused-mind the american definition of 'biscuit' yes, american biscuits are something eaten with a meal (I'm used to eating them with soups and stews but one could easily pour gravy on them). As to the chip thing British Chips are like American French Fries (not thin little McDonalds ones, but thicker like steak fries...) and an American Chips are like British Crisps (though we've nothing nearly as cool as Walkers Crisps).

Morsul The Dark
Quote:
did anyone else due to dialects misinterpret something as funny or unusual?
I can't say that I ever have, I mean I probably have, I just can't think of it now. I do have to Thank You though Morsul the Dark, Now I'll forever have the image of the Dwarves sitting around eating birthday cake after birthday cake in my mind.
__________________
A signature always reveals a man's character - and sometimes even his name ~Evan Esar.
Pan for Everyone!
Shelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom
 
mark12_30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
Posts: 4,349
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Well, maybe not birthday cakes, but you know, pound cakes or so. Yeah, great big things. I just figured Tolkien was showing what massive appetites dwarves had. They ate Bilbo out of house and home.

But that was a good thing, becaues if they hadn't, hen while Bilbo was away the Bag End pantries would have sat and festered for two YEARS eeeeeewwwwww.
__________________
...down to the water to see the elves dance and sing upon the midsummer's eve.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Nimrodel_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Utah
Posts: 734
Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
1420!

Quote:
What the dwarves ate would I suppose be equivalent to cup cakes in the US? Like birthday cake, but about small enough to put in your mouth all in one go. (I hasten to add, you would only put them in your mouth in one go if you were trying to snaffle them before your mother catches you stealing from the pantry.)
Me, steal a cupcake before my mother catches me? Never....

Can't say that I thought of it being a whole birthday cake! More of a cupcake. Let us hope so! Ouch! My tummy would hurt if I ate a whole cake! Hmmm... I'll have to add that to my to do list.
__________________
*.:A friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart:.*
Nimrodel_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dūm
 
AbercrombieOfRohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 311
AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

maybe it was a wedding cake.... (even more enjoyable to think about dwarves carrying around)
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:52 AM   #7
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer
 
Rune Son of Bjarne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Posts: 3,844
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Perhaps it is only because I live n Rhode Island but when Reading TH for the first time I was amazed at how many "cakes" the dwarves ate because I pictured a cake as a birthday cake not a (as Im assuming was meant) a biscuit did anyone else due to dialects misinterpret something as funny or unusual?

I put this here because although about the books it is a not serious
Here (in Denmark) birthday cakes are not necessarily the norm, so I always assumed it was a cake of a more moderate size (like pastry or a custard pie). I was however thrown of by the outlandish nature of the cakes, one was translated as a "cumin cake" which I thought sounded dreadful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Rune is my brother from another mother.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.