The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene
 
Galadriel55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The realm of forgotten words
Posts: 9,590
Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
TIG CXVII: GAME Thread: By the Waters of Tarn Aeluin

It has been told that Barahir would not forsake Dorthonion, and there Morgoth pursued him to his death, until at last there remained to him only twelve companions. Now the forest of Dorthonion rose southward into mountainous moors; and in the east of those highlands there lay a lake, Tarn Aeluin, with wild heaths about it, and all that land was pathless and untamed, for even in the days of the Long Peace none had dwelt there. But the waters of Tarn Aeluin were held in reverence, for they were clear and blue by day and by night were a mirror for the stars; and it was said that Melian herself had hollowed that water in the days of old. Thither Barahir and his outlaws withdrew, and there made their lair, and Morgoth could not discover it. But the rumour of the deeds of Barahir and his companions went far and wide; and Morgoth commanded Sauron to find them and destroy them.
- The Silmarillion, of Beren and Luthien




NIGHT 1 has started.
Seer may dream. Wolves may chat, but there is no kill toNight. Everyone else sleep.


Living:
Boro
Formendacil
Greenie
Huinesoron
Kath
Legate
Lommy
Loslote
Morsul
Pitch
Sally
Soriman



If you have not done so already, please turn on your invisible mode.

EDIT: I still see people appearing under Active Users. PLEASE TURN ON INVISIBILITY MODE!
__________________
You passed from under darkened dome, you enter now the secret land. - Take me to Finrod's fabled home!... ~ Finrod: The Rock Opera

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-19-2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: I am sorry about the title. At least this time I didn't accidentally double the wolf pack!
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene
 
Galadriel55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The realm of forgotten words
Posts: 9,590
Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Day 1

By the will of Sauron, three were chosen to assimilate amongst the outlaws of Barahir. Long they waited, mingling amongst the outlaws, gaining their trust. They sharpened their blades, patiently waiting for the perfect moment to strike. They would not fail their Master. They could not fail their Master!

Finally, in the darkest hour of a moonless night, they struck. Two night watch women stood on top of the great stone wall the outlaws had built as protection from all of the dark and evil creatures that lurk in the Shadows. Little did they know that the evil now lurked within those very walls.

“It is dark tonight,” Blind Guardian said as she watched the silent and black waters of Tarn Aeluin.

“A perfect night for Evil,” replied Galadriel55. “Even the stars seem not as bright…”

“I have a horrible feeling in my stomach…”

“That is just dinner. I told you not to eat Gorlim’s cooking!”

“Well” BlindGuardian started to say. Galadriel looked over at her companion, but she was gone.

“BG? BG now is not the night for games!” She surveyed the nearby tree line with her lantern. The wind rustled the leaves revealing two glowing red eyes. “Oh no…”

----****----


The outlaws of Barahir awoke to the howling of wolves. They quickly realized that their 2 night watchwomen were not at their posts. As the red sun rose, it revealed the terrible truth. A pile of blood and bones was all that remained of their two watchwomen.


++G55

++BG


The outlaws were furious! How dare wolves of all creatures attack two of their own! They quickly identified the paw and claw tracks of 3 wolves.

“Let us take a party and hunt down these animals!” yelled Formendacil.

The others shouted in agreement and took up their swords.

“Dirty wolves!” Pitch yelled.

“Let us form a Great Hunt!” said Gorlim.

But Legate was not so easy to anger. He surveyed the scene. “No, wolves have not done this. This is the work of werewolves!”

And with that the outlaws were afraid. The yelling turned to nervous whispers. They all knew what that meant.

“Regardless, we still have the advantage!” said Gorlim. “Werewolves will not travel in daylight.”

“Unless they are in human form”, Legate countered.

“And there are only 3 of them and 12 of us! I will scout ahead along the northern edge of the lake and return by noon time with news!” he grabbed his sword and shield and left on his mighty horse.


Gorlim was not seen again.


----****----




The Living
Boro
Formendacil
Greenie
Huinesoron
Kath
Legate
Lommy
Loslote
Morsul
Pitch
Sally
Soriman

The Dead
Gorlim (NPC/Ghost)
Galadriel55 (Night 1)
BlindGuardian (Night 1)


It is now Day 1.
Narration credit of BG.
__________________
You passed from under darkened dome, you enter now the secret land. - Take me to Finrod's fabled home!... ~ Finrod: The Rock Opera
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:35 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman
 
Boromir88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 7,446
Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Silmaril

I am saddened. The world is made a darker, with the absence of two of its brightest lights. But where there is darkness there still must be light, even if only a dim light. I will not rest until the devilry responsible for their deaths is found and destroyed.
__________________
Normalizing "changing your opinion, when presented with new information" one post at a time.
Fenris Penguin
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Morsul the Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,467
Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boro posted first.

++Boro

Anyway joke vote aside, here’s a list of players that adds nothing.

Boro-Posted first, in character. Nifty
Formendacil
Greenie
Huinesoron
Kath
Legate
Lommy
Loslote
Morsul
Pitch
Sally
Soriman
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
Formendacil
Dead Serious
 
Formendacil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perched on Thangorodrim's towers.
Posts: 3,261
Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
It is Day 1 and I am around (at least till my very would-be man in his eighties bedtime) but what else is there to say?
__________________
I prefer history, true or feigned.
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion
 
Loslote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 3,031
Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Leaf

I'm here, I'm here! I spent a lovely morning in the garden. It's time to harden off the seeds - I have some truly delightful tomatoes, artichokes, and cabbage, not to mention the wildest looking morning glory seedling! I see I missed - oh my - three people are dead?!?
__________________
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Double Fenris
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler
 
satansaloser2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: from beneath you it giggles incessantly
Posts: 5,810
satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And now that the three wolves have spoken, here I am as well!

Right. Whomever killed my Gal is going to face judgement. Show yourselves now, you curs, so we can be done with this quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible. No takers? None? Fine then. Maximum effort.

Okay, I'm actually off to bed soon, but I'm excited to play Werewolf again, and with some new blood. How lovely! I'll be back come morning with hopefully some posts to chew on.

Obviously don't kill anyone while I'm gone. I'll try to be in early-ish.
__________________
"My heart always cowers behind the defense of my wit."
Friendship is two pals munching on a well-cooked face together.
Fenris bookworm.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman
 
Boromir88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 7,446
Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Boro posted first.

++Boro

Anyway joke vote aside, here’s a list of players that adds nothing.
Nice to see you again too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
It is Day 1 and I am around (at least till my very would-be man in his eighties bedtime) but what else is there to say?
Before the end you will be objecting to the existence of Day 1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I'm here, I'm here! I spent a lovely morning in the garden. It's time to harden off the seeds - I have some truly delightful tomatoes, artichokes, and cabbage, not to mention the wildest looking morning glory seedling! I see I missed - oh my - three people are dead?!?
Hmm...so digging holes have you been? Placing anything else in the ground besides seeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
And now that the three wolves have spoken, here I am as well!

Right. Whomever killed my Gal is going to face judgement. Show yourselves now, you curs, so we can be done with this quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible. No takers? None? Fine then. Maximum effort.

Okay, I'm actually off to bed soon, but I'm excited to play Werewolf again, and with some new blood. How lovely! I'll be back come morning with hopefully some posts to chew on.

Obviously don't kill anyone while I'm gone. I'll try to be in early-ish.
Interesting choice of words...bloodshed, new blood, chewing.
__________________
Normalizing "changing your opinion, when presented with new information" one post at a time.
Fenris Penguin
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:49 AM   #9
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Huinesoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: The north-west of the Old World, east of the Sea
Posts: 3,196
Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Three deaths in the opening narration makes me irrationally panicky. o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Anyway joke vote aside, here’s a list of players that adds nothing.
Given that it comes two posts below the same list in the narration... yeah, that's pretty 'nothing'. So why'd you do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Before the end you will be objecting to the existence of Day 1s.
Given how many Days 1 get derailed into exactly that kind of debate, I find it a little suspicious that you're courting it.

hS
__________________
Have you burned the ships that could bear you back again? ~Finrod: The Rock Opera
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:03 AM   #10
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,560
Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Dorthonion! Ah! the wind and the whiteness and the black branches of Winter upon Orod-na-Thôn!
-wait, wrong character. Anyway, despite being encircled by Wolves, I feel very elated at the prospect of sharing a campfire with y'all again. Well, let's see how long that lasts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I'm here, I'm here! I spent a lovely morning in the garden. It's time to harden off the seeds - I have some truly delightful tomatoes, artichokes, and cabbage, not to mention the wildest looking morning glory seedling! I see I missed - oh my - three people are dead?!?
Well technically, it's two. Gorlim merely left...

Anyways, I realise the waters of Tarn Aeluin are bountiful, but planting? We aren't farmers, we are, well, outlaws! More on the hunter-gatherer side, I'd say. But to each their own, I guess.

And cue in Day 1... (I just realised that we are missing Nogrod, not that there are not plenty of us others to get the ball rolling on the first Day). But so far in terms of attendance this looks promising.

I will hop off to gather some quick breakfast in these bushes over there and I'll be back and around, hopefully more people will also start appearing and we can start talking more.
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:35 AM   #11
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Morsul the Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,467
Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
{quote Morsul}
Given that it comes two posts below the same list in the narration... yeah, that's pretty 'nothing'. So why'd you do it?

hS
Because I’m bad at in character banter but wanted to participate.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:06 AM   #12
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin
 
Thinlómien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 8,362
Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Good morning! err... afternoon?

I can't believe I'm in the blessed/cursed situation that I have an office job that I can do remotely from home so I can ww as much as I... ahem. Now it's my lunch break anyway.

On schedules (since I started): the deadline is 2am Finnish time. Sadly that means I will have to try not to be around for it, at least on weekdays. I will happily be a bandwagon starter then

(Or to be honest, not happily! Remembering how well my intentional bandwagon starting went in the last game And now that I brought up the last game, I can hardly do worse this time. Right? I guess it's a blessing Mac isn't playing.)

I don't have much to say about the Day so far. My reading comprehension is the level of "hmmm suspicious, somebody started making lists very early" ...and turns out it was Galadriel55. *add a laughing smiley because I ran out of the limit already*

I'll be back later with actual thoughts.
__________________
Like the stars chase the sun, over the glowing hill I will conquer
Blood is running deep, some things never sleep
Double Fenris
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #13
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady
 
A Little Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,586
A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Looks like this far we've got Lottie gardening, Sally talking about blood and chewing, Boro trying to lauch the "are Day 1s pointless" -debate, and Lommy wanting to start a bandwagon. Did I miss anything? Also, I see Huin is already edging towards actual on-topic conversation by questioning and mildly suspecting others, which I like. I'm currently at work so can't devote much time to WW, but I'll be back later with (hopefully) something of actual substance.
__________________
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #14
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Morsul the Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,467
Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Seems many of us will be at work til almost DL myself included I don’t to debate the merits of Day 1 other than to say we have a 1/4 chance of getting a wolf if we shoot blindly. I feel those are decent odds.

However the first half of the day has been basically banter which doesn’t give much in the way of information, so I am wary of bandwagons.

Huin so far is the least suspicious but that leaves 10 others (obviously myself excluded)
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Huinesoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: The north-west of the Old World, east of the Sea
Posts: 3,196
Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Because I’m bad at in character banter but wanted to participate.
Which makes sense if you're talking about the joke vote - it's banter and could potentially spook Boro if he's a wolf. But posting a list of names - and lampshading that it adds nothing - seems more like wanting to look like you were participating.

Speaking of lists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I don't have much to say about the Day so far. My reading comprehension is the level of "hmmm suspicious, somebody started making lists very early" ...and turns out it was Galadriel55. *add a laughing smiley because I ran out of the limit already*
Aulë knows reading-comprehension failures can do that to us all, but it seems like a bit of a (?non-)coincidence that you picked up on something that had actually happened, but then decided it hadn't - and then posted about it anyway.

hS
__________________
Have you burned the ships that could bear you back again? ~Finrod: The Rock Opera
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,560
Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Back and reading, this seems to be slowly starting to get lively. Little to say thus far, but these comments caught my eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Before the end you will be objecting to the existence of Day 1s.
Given how many Days 1 get derailed into exactly that kind of debate, I find it a little suspicious that you're courting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Boro trying to lauch the "are Day 1s pointless" -debate
I am not entirely sure how Boro's comment constitutes as "launching a Day 1s are pointless-debate".

Now Hui seems to be poking around inquisitively overall, which is an activity that by itself can serve both good and evil purposes, so if this is just a part of that, whatever; but the formulation (the not-outright-accusing, yet suggestive "I find it a little suspicious", while putting words into Boro's mouth) does not seem right to me. Even stranger is that Greenie basically repeats the same, which just gives me the vibe of "quoting without checking the source", i.e. having seen Hui slightly suspect Boro and just latch on to that. That would be a very good move for a Wolf to pull.

Overall it's just weird because I don't read it as Boro "launching" any "debate" on "Day 1 pointlessness" in the first place.

Clarifications, anyone?

Anyways, I'll be on and off now as I'm at work, but I'll try to keep an eye on here. Also looking forward to see the rest of the people to appear - actually majority of players have showed up by now, which is nice. But still plenty of time until DL, so I hope we'll get some chance for more actual discussion.
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Huinesoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: The north-west of the Old World, east of the Sea
Posts: 3,196
Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
the not-outright-accusing, yet suggestive "I find it a little suspicious"
I mean, it was nine posts into the game. It's hard to imagine anything someone could say that early that would warrant a full-fledged accusation. I just thought it was suspicious - a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Overall it's just weird because I don't read it as Boro "launching" any "debate" on "Day 1 pointlessness" in the first place.

Clarifications, anyone?
Sure. By 'courting' I was thinking 'courting disaster' rather than 'courting the Lady Emeldir'; perhaps 'raising the spectre of' would do as a synonym? Boro wasn't starting such a debate - I agree with you that Greenie overstated that somewhat - but by bringing it up, he made it more likely that it would be a topic of conversation, and thus potentially a day-derailing debate in which the wolves could easily hide.

hS
__________________
Have you burned the ships that could bear you back again? ~Finrod: The Rock Opera
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #18
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady
 
A Little Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,586
A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
I am not entirely sure how Boro's comment constitutes as "launching a Day 1s are pointless-debate".

Now Hui seems to be poking around inquisitively overall, which is an activity that by itself can serve both good and evil purposes, so if this is just a part of that, whatever; but the formulation (the not-outright-accusing, yet suggestive "I find it a little suspicious", while putting words into Boro's mouth) does not seem right to me. Even stranger is that Greenie basically repeats the same, which just gives me the vibe of "quoting without checking the source", i.e. having seen Hui slightly suspect Boro and just latch on to that. That would be a very good move for a Wolf to pull.

Overall it's just weird because I don't read it as Boro "launching" any "debate" on "Day 1 pointlessness" in the first place.

Clarifications, anyone?
Can't speak for Huin, but for myself - in the same sentence I also mentioned Lommy wanting to start bandwagons (which is also quite a stretch) and Lottie gardening (I assume she wasn't, in fact, actually gardening). There was also as a telltale sign that I wasn't being entirely serious. That said, I do like giving the anthill a little poke early on Day 1 to see what comes out. I'm quite pleased with my success if this moves us forward from debating the relative merits of hunter-gathering vs farming!

Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure how latching onto someone else's suspicion without fact-checking would constitute a "very good move" for a wolf.
__________________
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."

Last edited by A Little Green; 04-21-2021 at 08:46 AM. Reason: x-ed with Huin
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #19
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Morsul the Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,467
Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Which makes sense if you're talking about the joke vote - it's banter and could potentially spook Boro if he's a wolf. But posting a list of names - and lampshading that it adds nothing - seems more like wanting to look like you were participating.

Speaking of lists...



Aulë knows reading-comprehension failures can do that to us all, but it seems like a bit of a (?non-)coincidence that you picked up on something that had actually happened, but then decided it hadn't - and then posted about it anyway.

hS
Not going to lie the initial question seemed in good faith but latching on to the list post seems more unsavory . It was a throwaway post like “oh I was gardening, or sleeping, or whatnot.” I know I’m always an easy target as an innocent so I’m not sure if this is misguided innocent doggedness or wolffish attempt at early suspicion and attempted bandwagoning
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman
 
Boromir88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 7,446
Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Looks like this far we've got Lottie gardening, Sally talking about blood and chewing, Boro trying to lauch the "are Day 1s pointless" -debate, and Lommy wanting to start a bandwagon. Did I miss anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Sure. By 'courting' I was thinking 'courting disaster' rather than 'courting the Lady Emeldir'; perhaps 'raising the spectre of' would do as a synonym? Boro wasn't starting such a debate - I agree with you that Greenie overstated that somewhat - but by bringing it up, he made it more likely that it would be a topic of conversation, and thus potentially a day-derailing debate in which the wolves could easily hide.
Huh...interesting. Formendacil asked a rhetorical question about what else is there to say on Day 1. I gave a factual answer, being familiar with Formendacil, who will likely do everything in his power today to look for a reason to vote for no one today. That's not a subject of debate, it's a fact. He will make some sort of justification why he won't vote for anyone today.

But let's say I was trying to start a debate about Day 1s? What's wrong with debate? I mean in the end the only way we can hope to rid our camp of these devils is for everyone to participate and debate.
__________________
Normalizing "changing your opinion, when presented with new information" one post at a time.
Fenris Penguin
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #21
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Huinesoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: The north-west of the Old World, east of the Sea
Posts: 3,196
Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Not going to lie the initial question seemed in good faith but latching on to the list post seems more unsavory.
My question was in good faith; your answer was not reassuring. Reassuring answers could include: 'I always post lists', or 'I wanted it there to copy', or 'I expected there'd be more posts before mine'. To describe my failure to accept your answer as "latching on... unsavory... wolfish... attempted bandwagoning" is, ah... I'm going to go with 'a suspicious overreaction'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
But let's say I was trying to start a debate about Day 1s? What's wrong with debate?
So your 'factual answer' comment made me feel a bit better, but then this happened. What's wrong with that debate (and its relatives) is that it's been done a hundred(ish) times before; everyone knows the steps, and both 'let's discuss this' and 'we should be hunting wolves instead of discussing this' are great ways for wolves to contribute without implicating themselves at all.

Which, incidentally, is also what the "what's wrong with Day 1 Debates?" debate/question does. Which is why your asking the question keeps me suspicious of your motives.

hS
__________________
Have you burned the ships that could bear you back again? ~Finrod: The Rock Opera
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #22
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Morsul the Dark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,467
Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
My question was in good faith; your answer was not reassuring. Reassuring answers could include: 'I always post lists', or 'I wanted it there to copy', or 'I expected there'd be more posts before mine'. To describe my failure to accept your answer as "latching on... unsavory... wolfish... attempted bandwagoning" is, ah... I'm going to go with 'a suspicious overreaction'.



hS
Noted. Next time I’ll Lie and it’ll be better than honesty.

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 04-21-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Editing in “I’ll” for clarity
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #23
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit
 
Soriman the Whide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 88
Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
Oh my, terrible news, I've been busy working the land but now that i've returned I say this crime must be paid for with blood! I feel that a blind 1/4 chance of getting a wolf may be a little optimistic though.
__________________
"And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite... ".
The Silmarillion - Ainulindalë
Soriman the Whide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #24
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin
 
Thinlómien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 8,362
Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hui is giving me vague bad vibes, which is giving me headache. I mean, I got bad vibes from him in the last game too, but I gave him the benefit of doubt because we hadn't played together before - and then he actually turned out to be a wolf. So the million dollar question is: is he a wolf again or is he just the next Eönwë whom I find super suspicious every time regardless of his role? And if I'm tempted to give him the benefit of doubt and waiting and seeing, am I just making the same mistake as last time? Ughhhh.

Anyway, agreeing with Legate that Hui misrepresents Boro's poking fun at Form's werewolf playing style when he frames it as starting pointless debate. I mean how else do you even get the ball rolling on Day1 if not by bullying your old friends?

Greenie seems like her solid self but when does she not.

Morsul's touchiness in #22 is the biggest individual red flag I've seen toDay so far. He implies Hui is suspecting him because his "honest answer" to Hui's question was not satisfactory, but what Hui is actually suspecting him for is being so touchy when questioned. Odd, but not necessarily out of character for an Ordul the Dark either.

...come on, could someone do something actually suspicious? Pretty please? I will give you a... vote as a present if you do.
__________________
Like the stars chase the sun, over the glowing hill I will conquer
Blood is running deep, some things never sleep
Double Fenris
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman
 
Boromir88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 7,446
Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
So your 'factual answer' comment made me feel a bit better, but then this happened. What's wrong with that debate (and its relatives) is that it's been done a hundred(ish) times before; everyone knows the steps, and both 'let's discuss this' and 'we should be hunting wolves instead of discussing this' are great ways for wolves to contribute without implicating themselves at all.

Which, incidentally, is also what the "what's wrong with Day 1 Debates?" debate/question does. Which is why your asking the question keeps me suspicious of your motives.

hS
But we would be discussing something, which I find always more useful than discussing nothing or just conceding to the pack "lay under the radar toDay, because it's Day 1 and they are more likely to just lynch someone they disagree with because they have no other evidence." So really, it's just a disagreement about Day 1 mechanics.

I am of the opinion, the more people say and respond to a topic, the better it is to figure out their motives. You disagree and see it as an opportunity for a wolf to appear actively contributing and thus helpful. That disagreement doesn't make you suspicious in my opinion. I trust you can discern the difference of someone talking just to talk and appear helpful and someone talking to prompt responses and attempt to learn something from the responses. One is a person putting up a flimsy defense only to back away and let other people go at it in a debate. The other is someone who is prepared to get right in the thick of it and defend this silly notion that Day 1s are useless.

So far...

I quite like Morsul's posts. It looks very much like "I'm going about things my way and if you got a problem with it, oh well."

Legate appears sharp and observant, which is a good sign.

Huey is going right in there with questions and accusations, so that also looks like a good sing.

The not so good signs...

Greenie giving a little summation post and going. Looks kind of evil like "here's what's happened so far, but I won't go further into what I think or feel about it." It looks like an attempt to point the day discussion towards certain people (Lottie, sally, myself and Lommy) but not giving her own opinions.

sally, in character banter, but going to have to see more from her.

Edit: Crossed with Soriman and Lommy
__________________
Normalizing "changing your opinion, when presented with new information" one post at a time.
Fenris Penguin
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #26
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth
 
Legate of Amon Lanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In that far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 7,560
Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I mean, it was nine posts into the game. It's hard to imagine anything someone could say that early that would warrant a full-fledged accusation. I just thought it was suspicious - a little.
Explanation accepted, Captain Needa - sorry, wrong fandom - but you realise that at least this part of your answer is very generic. Fair enough if it is genuine, but would serve you equally well as a Wolf. But alright, as clarification, noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Sure. By 'courting' I was thinking 'courting disaster' rather than 'courting the Lady Emeldir'; perhaps 'raising the spectre of' would do as a synonym? Boro wasn't starting such a debate - I agree with you that Greenie overstated that somewhat - but by bringing it up, he made it more likely that it would be a topic of conversation, and thus potentially a day-derailing debate in which the wolves could easily hide.
While I share the sentiment on Day 1 debates, I think you are bringing it back a bit obsessively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Can't speak for Huin, but for myself - in the same sentence I also mentioned Lommy wanting to start bandwagons (which is also quite a stretch) and Lottie gardening (I assume she wasn't, in fact, actually gardening). There was also as a telltale sign that I wasn't being entirely serious. That said, I do like giving the anthill a little poke early on Day 1 to see what comes out. I'm quite pleased with my success if this moves us forward from debating the relative merits of hunter-gathering vs farming!

Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure how latching onto someone else's suspicion without fact-checking would constitute a "very good move" for a wolf.
Well, it could be as easily jumping on something that exists (a "bandwagon", if you will, or something that could easily start one).

As for smileys as telltale signs - even a Wolf with a smiley could rile up public opinion in a "joking" accusation (I'd say even better, in fact, because they could back out on the premise that it was a joke). That being said, mentioning Lommy as "wanting to start a bandwagon" is also a statement that could be interpreted as trying to "paint someone black". But at least she said that, while with the other you literally seemed like you picked up something that somebody said that Boro said.

Otherwise - I see the debate has started more broadly. Hui I see continues to ruffle some feathers. I think a Wolf would not necessarily overdo things in such a manner, however, I am not sure if I have ever seen a Huiwolf and how it would operate. Another possibility that now occurs to me is that this back-and-forth between Hui and Boro is some theatrical Wolf-on-Wolf maneuver.

Anyway I'll in the future try to form my thoughts also on others in some coherent way.

EDIT: x-ed with Lommy, Soriman and Boro
__________________
"But it is not your own Shire," said Gildor. "Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out."
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #27
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest
 
Pitchwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Posts: 3,267
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Here I am, back from work/patrol/hunting&gathering. Now let's see, what do we have so far? *rubs hand, cracks knuckles*


Morsul looks just like Morsul, nothing to worry about.
Formy and Lottie look like nothing particular so far.
sally looks like sally.
Hui is active in pokey mode, which is a good thing at this time of Day, but what are the intentions behind his poking? TBD.
Lommy's #12 struck me as both self-conscious and remarkably content free. "Somebody posted a list... ops, it was G55", when Morsul had actually posted a list and been questioned about it by Hui. Was there really nothing to engage with by that time? Could be a wolf reluctant to stick her head out.
Greenie feels neutral, slightly on the goodish side.
Boro feels good so far, and I was about to say the same of Legate up to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate #26
Hui I see continues to ruffle some feathers. I think a Wolf would not necessarily overdo things in such a manner, however, I am not sure if I have ever seen a Huiwolf and how it would operate. Another possibility that now occurs to me is that this back-and-forth between Hui and Boro is some theatrical Wolf-on-Wolf maneuver.
Now this is a strange thing to say for a player who sniffed out a Huiwolf, on D2, pushed for his lynching and was killed for it just two games ago (granted, that was last year, but still). Actually makes me think whether the two are in cohorts, in which case the Wolf-on-Wolf-scenario could lay the grounds for tarnishing Boro in case Hui bites the noose.
__________________
Und aus dem Erebos kamen viele seelen herauf der abgeschiedenen toten.- Homer, Odyssey, Canto XI
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #28
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady
 
A Little Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,586
A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
But let's say I was trying to start a debate about Day 1s? What's wrong with debate? I mean in the end the only way we can hope to rid our camp of these devils is for everyone to participate and debate.
If you look back, I actually never said there was anything wrong or suspicious about it. On the contrary, I think it's one of the tried and tested ways to get people talking about something, which can then lead to more fruitful conversations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Greenie giving a little summation post and going. Looks kind of evil like "here's what's happened so far, but I won't go further into what I think or feel about it." It looks like an attempt to point the day discussion towards certain people (Lottie, sally, myself and Lommy) but not giving her own opinions.
Fair - though I did mention in the same post that I was at work and couldn't contribute properly until later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Well, it could be as easily jumping on something that exists (a "bandwagon", if you will, or something that could easily start one).

As for smileys as telltale signs - even a Wolf with a smiley could rile up public opinion in a "joking" accusation (I'd say even better, in fact, because they could back out on the premise that it was a joke). That being said, mentioning Lommy as "wanting to start a bandwagon" is also a statement that could be interpreted as trying to "paint someone black". But at least she said that, while with the other you literally seemed like you picked up something that somebody said that Boro said.
Not sure about this argument - especially since, as noted above, there was no "accusation" or even suspicion in that post at all. I also don't greatly love the implication that I'm being careless or not checking my sources. (I'm an academic. I always check my sources. )

On another note, I found this really interesting -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate, re: Huin
While I share the sentiment on Day 1 debates, I think you are bringing it back a bit obsessively.
Legate has a point in that Huin is indeed pursuing it to a noticeable extent - even if I wouldn't go so far as to call it "obsessive". But then, Legate himself is arguably just as keen on pursuing Huin (and to some extent myself) about it. I'm not sure what to make of this yet, except Huin gives me decent vibes so far (the inquisitiveness and getting people talking) and I seem to remember Legate tends to be more abrasive when he's innocent, too.

That said, I'm also somewhat fascinated by this catch from Pitch -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate #26
Hui I see continues to ruffle some feathers. I think a Wolf would not necessarily overdo things in such a manner, however, I am not sure if I have ever seen a Huiwolf and how it would operate. Another possibility that now occurs to me is that this back-and-forth between Hui and Boro is some theatrical Wolf-on-Wolf maneuver.
Now this is a strange thing to say for a player who sniffed out a Huiwolf, on D2, pushed for his lynching and was killed for it just two games ago (granted, that was last year, but still). Actually makes me think whether the two are in cohorts, in which case the Wolf-on-Wolf-scenario could lay the grounds for tarnishing Boro in case Hui bites the noose.
This would be a fabulous scenario - though if they were wolves together, Legate forgetting about having sniffed out a previous Huiwolf would be very odd. As a purposeful deception (pretending not to remember his role in the demise of a past Huiwolf), I can't see what purpose it would serve - especially since they couldn't really count on no one else remembering that. If anything, this leads me to the opposite conclusion from Pitch - that Huin and Legate are somewhat unlikely to be wolves together. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all the possible different configurations of Legate/Huin/Boro and who might be in cahoots with whom (or if they are, as usual, nothing but active innocents trying to get the conversation going), but it's giving me a headache at the moment!

As for everyone else - I don't have a good read on anyone yet (what a shocker, halfway through Day 1). I do second Lommy in that Morsul's defensiveness was eye-catching, but I'm not sure how much to read into it. And - that's about it? Clearly I need to look around more
__________________
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin
 
Thinlómien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 8,362
Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Now this is a strange thing to say for a player who sniffed out a Huiwolf, on D2, pushed for his lynching and was killed for it just two games ago (granted, that was last year, but still). Actually makes me think whether the two are in cohorts, in which case the Wolf-on-Wolf-scenario could lay the grounds for tarnishing Boro in case Hui bites the noose.
I was confused by the very same quote from Legate for the same reason; however I disagree with (and am baffled by) your conclusion. Are you saying Wolfate is intentionally trying to mislead the village that he has no experience of a previous Wolfesoron and expecting no one to remember a game from last year and bust him?


edit: xed with Greenie's novel
__________________
Like the stars chase the sun, over the glowing hill I will conquer
Blood is running deep, some things never sleep
Double Fenris
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #30
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin
 
Thinlómien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 8,362
Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Random note: why am I not surprised that Kath hasn't made an appearance yet?
__________________
Like the stars chase the sun, over the glowing hill I will conquer
Blood is running deep, some things never sleep
Double Fenris
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin
 
Thinlómien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In a far land beyond the Sea
Posts: 8,362
Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Also so far the Day seems to follow a rather predictable course once again otherwise too, with Boro, Legate and Huinesoron drawing a fair bit of attention and suspicion, Greenie and Pitch somewhat detachedly analysing "from the sides", and Morsul causing controversy. Nothing there really that stands out from the usual formula of a Day1. (Makes me think one should write a parody of a stereotypical ww game. )

Morsul being touchy, Huinesoron pinging my vibedar and Pitch making an odd argument about Legate and Hui* are still the only things standing out to me. That's not much to go on.

* I could see Pitch's somewhat contra-intuitive suggestion of a Legate-Huinesoron pack as a wolf tripping over his feet to fabricate a wolf pack accusation. Perhaps especially if one of Legate and Huinesoron was his packmate actually. Or maybe they're Plot Twist all wolves together?

Anyway, I would really really like to see something more from Form, Kath, Lottie, Sally and Soriman in the next 3 hours or so before I have to vote.
__________________
Like the stars chase the sun, over the glowing hill I will conquer
Blood is running deep, some things never sleep
Double Fenris
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #32
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Huinesoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: The north-west of the Old World, east of the Sea
Posts: 3,196
Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul
...latching on to the list post seems more unsavory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
While I share the sentiment on Day 1 debates, I think you are bringing it back a bit obsessively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Legate has a point in that Huin is indeed pursuing it to a noticeable extent - even if I wouldn't go so far as to call it "obsessive".
o.O You're all making me doubt myself - I've had to double-check and confirm that yes, I really do only have four posts in the thread (five now!). If you discount the requested clarification to Legate, I've only 'pursued' and 'brought back' any points once (and in direct reply to the people I originally posted about).

I think what's happened is that it's still been the main topic of conversation, because I was posting (and poking) during a fairly quiet time, so people are flagging that without fully recognising what's happening. But I'm not going to discount a wolf pushing the perception.

... on which point, given that Legate originally said "Even stranger is that Greenie basically repeats the same, which just gives me the vibe of "quoting without checking the source"," I think that exact same phrase could describe Greenie's repetition of Legate's comment on me.

Once is chance; twice is possibly-lupine coincidence, especially when it's used to buddy up to the person who doubted you.

Boro's "we would be discussing something" post makes me feel a bit better about him. Morsul's "Next time I’ll Lie and it’ll be better" sounds fairly sullen-innocent, but still has that 'how people take it is more important than what I say' vibe that whispers 'wolf!'.

I like Lommy's implied point that 'the noisy people all look suspicious' is fairly standard TiG material while the quieter people slip by undiscussed. Not sure what to do about it, but I like it.

Not sure what to make of "forgetting games a plague ago means you're a pack of wolves"...

hS
__________________
Have you burned the ships that could bear you back again? ~Finrod: The Rock Opera
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #33
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest
 
Pitchwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Posts: 3,267
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
This would be a fabulous scenario - though if they were wolves together, Legate forgetting about having sniffed out a previous Huiwolf would be very odd. As a purposeful deception (pretending not to remember his role in the demise of a past Huiwolf), I can't see what purpose it would serve - especially since they couldn't really count on no one else remembering that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I was confused by the very same quote from Legate for the same reason; however I disagree with (and am baffled by) your conclusion. Are you saying Wolfate is intentionally trying to mislead the village that he has no experience of a previous Wolfesoron and expecting no one to remember a game from last year and bust him?
I'm not quite sure what I'm saying. Something like, if a Legwolf thinks Huiwolf is behaving typically Huiwolvish he may want to pretend bad memory as an excuse for not picking it up. It's not an argument that they must be wolves together, but I think it would kind of make sense psychologically.
__________________
Und aus dem Erebos kamen viele seelen herauf der abgeschiedenen toten.- Homer, Odyssey, Canto XI
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #34
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,725
Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Righty ho. Has to be a quick one from me today I'm afraid, so it's going to be a list post with some vague notions about things so far, and then a vote not long after that.

Boro - has Greenie on his not too sure list (post 25) for summing up without opinions and pointing discussion at people. Those people were Lottie, sally, Boro and Lommy. Only Boro I would have said then actually did garner much discussion so certainly not an effective tactic if it was one.

Formendacil - no opinion formed so far.

Greenie - mentions Hui seems ok and Legate tends to be more abrasive when innocent. Not sure if she's meaning he is abrasive at the moment and therefore innocent, or that if he was innocent she'd expect to see him act more abrasively (post 28).

Huinesoron - I had forgotten how aggressively Hui plays. Every game I've played with them I've thought they were a wolf because of the playing style, but sometimes they were one, so that doesn't really help.

Legate - not liking the way Hui is behaving but more concerned about Greenie following a similar line (post 16). I disagree about Greenie just following what Hui said, as Hui was pointing it out as suspicious, while Greenie seemed to be treating it as generic banter. Continues to focus on Greenie and Hui and wondering about Hui/Boro being wolf-mates for the back and forth. Why not Morsul/Hui for the same reason?

Lommy - follows Legate's thoughts about Hui but not about Greenie regarding the Day 1 debate debacle (sorry, I couldn't resist the alliteration). Finding Morsul suspicious for the touchiness (post 24). I read Morsul's reactions as a bit annoyed rather than defensive but I think the interplay between Morsul and Hui bears watching as it's been relatively intense for the small number of posts so far.

Loslote - will have to see more.

Morsul - interesting to note Hui as the least suspicious (post 14). Didn't mention the reason for this assessment which is odd given Hui was focusing on them a fair bit at this point. Then in post 19 throws in the idea that Hui could actually be wolfy. So from most innocent to potentially wolfy rather quickly there.

Pitch - slightly concerned about Lommy, and about Legate not knowing how a Hui wolf would act given he's played with a Hui wolf before. My own memory is so poor that I wouldn't rely on recall of past games for myself, so this is a tough basis for suspicion.

Sally - bloodshed, blood, chew on (post 7) ... do we have a Cobbler in this game? Ah I see Boro pointed out the same!

Soriman - more needed for thoughts.
__________________
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Last edited by Kath; 04-21-2021 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Cross posted since #30
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #35
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,725
Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Random note: why am I not surprised that Kath hasn't made an appearance yet?
Oy!
__________________
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #36
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion
 
Loslote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 3,031
Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Can't speak for Huin, but for myself - in the same sentence I also mentioned Lommy wanting to start bandwagons (which is also quite a stretch) and Lottie gardening (I assume she wasn't, in fact, actually gardening).
I actually was - I spent all afternoon yesterday pulling rocks out of my IRL garden and tending seedlings.

I'm getting a slight vibe from Greenie like she's adjusting her positions slightly as she goes to make them more palatable - nothing concrete, but definitely a kernel of a suspicion. I also thought this by Kath was very interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Morsul - interesting to note Hui as the least suspicious (post 14). Didn't mention the reason for this assessment which is odd given Hui was focusing on them a fair bit at this point. Then in post 19 throws in the idea that Hui could actually be wolfy. So from most innocent to potentially wolfy rather quickly there.
It is a little strange how much Morsul was focusing on Huin early, to the almost complete exclusion of anyone else. In fact, I don't think Morsul has interacted with or mentioned anyone other than Huin, with his throwaway comment about Boro posting first being the exception that proves the rule. I don't know what to make of it. It's not a great strategy if they're packmates, and he switches between suspicion and trust so quickly that it doesn't suggest any special knowledge - if I had to guess, I would say Morsul is either a wolf and Huin isn't, or Morsul is an ordo with a bit of tunnel vision. Definitely the most suspicious thing to happen thus far, although I acknowledge that that's a low bar to clear at this point in the game.
__________________
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Double Fenris
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #37
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness
 
Kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Perusing the laminated book of dreams
Posts: 4,725
Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Not enough info:
Form
Lottie
Soriman
sally
- with a caveat that hiding a wolfy nature under a Cobbler style first post is absolutely a sally way to play the game

Everyone else ... the particular questions I had in my last post point me towards Hui, Morsul and potentially Legate as lines of suspicion.

Hui's latest post (#32) is interesting. Half saying to discount the interplay with Morsul because a bigger deal is being made than it deserved, but then actually continuing the same interplay within said post. I do think though it's unlikely Hui and Morsul are both wolves here - I feel that Hui's playing style would mean they'd have no qualms about throwing another wolf under the bus, and that the suspicion of Morsul is almost too half-hearted by this post for it to be a wolf-Hui doing that. I find Morsul's switch from Hui being least suspicious to potentially wolfy (post 19) more worrisome, particularly because the original statement of being least suspicious didn't seem to have any basis behind it.

So, an early vote from me toDay for the reasons stated above for:

++MORSUL
__________________
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Last edited by Kath; 04-21-2021 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Crossed with #36
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #38
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest
 
Pitchwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Posts: 3,267
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Actually, mind you, I'm not convinced that either of Legate and Hui has to be a wolf. So far I'm more suspicious of Lommy because of #24:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Hui is giving me vague bad vibes, which is giving me headache. I mean, I got bad vibes from him in the last game too, but I gave him the benefit of doubt because we hadn't played together before - and then he actually turned out to be a wolf. So the million dollar question is: is he a wolf again or is he just the next Eönwë whom I find super suspicious every time regardless of his role? And if I'm tempted to give him the benefit of doubt and waiting and seeing, am I just making the same mistake as last time? Ughhhh.

...< agrees with Legate about Hui/Boro, Greenie herself but when does she not > ...

Morsul's touchiness in #22 is the biggest individual red flag I've seen toDay so far. He implies Hui is suspecting him because his "honest answer" to Hui's question was not satisfactory, but what Hui is actually suspecting him for is being so touchy when questioned. Odd, but not necessarily out of character for an Ordul the Dark either.
So she suspects Hui because of bad vibes but not really, and Morsul for being touchy, a bit more really but then again... Seeing how Hui and Morsul suspecting each other had been most of the action so far, this feels to me much like a wolf thinking, "Hmm, either of these could become a promising bandwagon but let's not commit just yet."
__________________
Und aus dem Erebos kamen viele seelen herauf der abgeschiedenen toten.- Homer, Odyssey, Canto XI
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #39
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman
 
Boromir88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 7,446
Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.Boromir88 has passed beneath the Argonath.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
What's this? Kath here...remembers to post and even votes on Day 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
It is a little strange how much Morsul was focusing on Huin early, to the almost complete exclusion of anyone else. In fact, I don't think Morsul has interacted with or mentioned anyone other than Huin, with his throwaway comment about Boro posting first being the exception that proves the rule. I don't know what to make of it. It's not a great strategy if they're packmates, and he switches between suspicion and trust so quickly that it doesn't suggest any special knowledge - if I had to guess, I would say Morsul is either a wolf and Huin isn't, or Morsul is an ordo with a bit of tunnel vision. Definitely the most suspicious thing to happen thus far, although I acknowledge that that's a low bar to clear at this point in the game.
I don't know why that would be considered strange? I mean isn't it a natural tendency to focus on the person accusing and asking you direct questions?
__________________
Normalizing "changing your opinion, when presented with new information" one post at a time.
Fenris Penguin
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #40
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit
 
Soriman the Whide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 88
Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
As I was away working in distant lands and extremely busy, it cannot have been me that commited the foul deed.
I am concerned that wolves are guiding our conversations here Huinesoron
has been very good at this so far... Pitch has made some strange arguments against Huin but I don't believe anyone should read into this.
__________________
"And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite... ".
The Silmarillion - Ainulindalë
Soriman the Whide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.