The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril Full-length LotR Parody Movies

One of the things we did at Finlandmoot was to watch a trilogy of parody LotR movies. These were done by a group of Russian fans who had no budget but lots of witty ideas. I don't know whether to mention a few or whether it's best to just let you watch and enjoy the fun. Perhaps one of the main elements may entice you: the Nazgûl (and all other riders) ride bicycles! And also: Glorfindel and Arwen fight over who gets to take Asfaloth and rescue Frodo...

There are several astonishingly good actors in the amateur cast - since the young ladies of the fan group outnumber the amount of female roles, the Hobbits and some other characters are female actors. My favourite is the one who plays Frodo - she does every bit as well as Elijah Wood! Some of the film sites are amazing, and the echoes of Peter Jackson's visuals are easy to spot.

For the majority of us who understand no Russian, there are subtitles in English (and also in German). Fortunately, you don't even have to buy the DVD set, but can watch them online. Here are the links:

LotR 1
LotR 2
LotR 3
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
narfforc
The Dank-lord Sourone

narfforc is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Esty....that has a remarkable amount of similarities to The Lord of the Grins....
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm halfway through FOTR, and it's hilarious! Esty, thank you very much for the links!

Edit: just finished it. My, I like it more than the actal film!!!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-12-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Narnangol has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, these are gold.
Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnangol View Post
Oh, these are gold.
Seconded! These are definitely worth their weight, erm, length, in gold!

ETA: the question of wings&Balrogs finally solved! - them no need wings. Them has elevator.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-12-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien has passed beneath the Argonath.Thinlómien has passed beneath the Argonath.Thinlómien has passed beneath the Argonath.Thinlómien has passed beneath the Argonath.Thinlómien has passed beneath the Argonath.Thinlómien has passed beneath the Argonath.
Thumbs up

Apart from Frodo, Legolas is also priceless.

Thanks for showing us these and now posting this, Esty!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
If I do go to see The Hobbit movies--which I probably will--I will be taking notes to consider how we can parody them here. Thank you, Estelyn, for the idea.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Realization #2: I completely screwed up the melody in Beren's When---in----your---love----I----------rejoiced. I am missing two beats! I have no idea how that happened, I feel like I just forgot how the melody goes.

How do I fix it? "That night when in your love I rejoiced"?

There's a typo in "Taught pride to Elven hearts" (Finrod's Duel)

"Like the Darkness everlasting" (Captivity) appears with a delay.

Also in Captivity, I think it's the only time that Finrod deviates from his "My grief", and I'm thinking it might be better to just let him be consistent. What do you think?

So now my head is filled with a cacophony of Runglish lyrics.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The Rebel Crossover

Insomnia + Google Translate = I translated the Rebel Crossover into a bad semblance of French.

FEANOR:

Le temps est arrivé, vous devez décider:
Rester en esclavage dans cette cage, ou peut-être oser
Partir avec le roi au voyage sur la Mer,
Pour combattre à mort, retrouver les trois belles pierres?

Mes couleurs et mon foi
Sont à vous – suivez-moi!

The time has come for you to decide
To stay in bondage in this cage, or maybe to dare
To leave with the king on a journey on the Sea
To fight until death, retrieve the three beautiful stones?

My colours and my faith
Are yours – follow me!

Rouge!
Le sang déjà versé!
Noir!
Un cœur détruit par haine!
Rouge!
La puissance rassemblée!
Noir!
C’est l’ombre de destin!

Red! The blood already spilled!
Black! A heart destroyed by hate!
Red! The mustered power!
Black! It’s the shadow of fate!

FINARFIN:

Valar nous aideront si nous resterons ici;
Ils vont dissiper la nuit et vont rétablir la Lumière.
Morgoth gagnera si nous suivrons l’Ennemi
Il apporterait fatalité à cette terre.

C’est notre domicile,
Nous devons retourner!

Valar will help us if we stay here;
They will dispel the night and will restore the Light.
Morgoth will win if we follow the Enemy
He would bring fatality to this land.

This is our home,
We must turn back!

Rouge!
Le peuple est en colère!
Noir!
La chaîne sur nos ailes!
Rouge!
L’ère de sang et malheur!
Noir!
La nuit éternelle!

Red! The people is angry!
Noir! The chain over our wings!
Red! The age of blood and misfortune!
Black! The eternal night!

FINGOLFIN:

Finarfin, tu n’es plus un enfant,
Tu es trop vieux pour si rêver,
La destinée doit arriver.
Je l’ai juré, et maintenant
Je marche avec mon frère brûlant –
Marchons, Eldar, vers Porte de Fer!

Finarfin, you’re no longer a child,
You are too old to dream so,
The fate must come.
I swore this, and now
I march with my fiery brother –
Let Eldar march to Gate of Iron!

Rouge!
Le sang déjà versé!
Noir!
Un cœur détruit par haine!
Rouge!
La puissance rassemblée!
Noir!
C’est l’ombre de destin!

Red! The blood already spilled!
Black! A heart destroyed by hate!
Red! The mustered power!
Black! It’s the shadow of fate!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 04-22-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #10
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
If you think we should include the rest of the Lay, then I can easily make it a long one. But equally, if you don't particularly want to do it, I can make it brief. I'm happy to follow whatever picture plan you will pick for when we get there. In fact, I will try to actively NOT plan that part until we get there, so that I would still go down any path with equal ease.
'Actively not planning' might be the best option; ideally we'd want to see how the rest of the musical flows as a single video to figure out how the last song should be paced.

Quote:
I know! I was hoping to finish it before WW starts, under the premise of one guilty pleasure at a time. I made a desperate bid for it today during lunch break, and timing-wise I have all of it until the end, but both the music and the singing will need to be redone. Didn't have time to do Thingol's part, sorry, but hopefully it makes sense; next time I go to record I'll make sure to add his part to see how it sounds when they duet.
I've just listened to this and it's such fun. I can't tell whether you're planning an outro, but the slam-cut on the last line is just fantastic as-is (and would be a perfect straight-to-black). I'll try and record Thingol to go with it and get at least a first-pass of the animation done, but not sure when.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Insomnia + Google Translate = I translated the Rebel Crossover into a bad semblance of French.

So I can't comment on the French except to note that I can make sense of most of it, but I can say that it's very singable. There's a couple of lines that catch me - I think a lot of them want me to pronounce a final -e as a separate syllable - but by and large it flows beautifully. Fingolfin's verse in particular is just perfectly biting (and I always appreciate a good maintenant).

hS
Old 04-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #11
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Huinesoron is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It occurs to me, now that Urwen is around again, that we've gone wrong by trying to tie Les Mis to the Fall of the Noldor when it's quite clearly the Fall of Gondolin.

And Valjean is Maeglin.

They caught me in the mines
They chained me to the wall.
I'm faceless in the dark
Another nameless thrall.

I should have been a prince
With Idril as my bride!
To take her as my own
What is not justified?

If I speak - I am condemned
If I stay silent - I am damned.

I am the master of thousands of miners
The House of the Mole.
Yet they abandon me here in the dark
A tormented soul

If I speak - they are condemned
If I stay silent - I am damned!

Who am I?
Am I content to live in slavery
To mortal Man who has the ears of kings?
The chains of pity he would wield
Are stronger than of iron or steel
Who am I?

Should I forsake myself for Idril's sake?
Protect the city as my own heart breaks?
And must my name as long before
Be Son of Darkness evermore
Here I lie...

Why not ally myself to greater power?
Why should I suffer here another hour?
To make the princess mine alone
My love will break unweathered stone

I pledge alliegance to the King!
I will yield all I know to Him!

Who am I?
I'm Maeglin
Of Gondolin!

And so, Morgoth, you see it's true
I am of priceless worth to you!
Gondolin -
I - will - let - you - in!

^_^

hS
Old 04-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I've just listened to this and it's such fun. I can't tell whether you're planning an outro, but the slam-cut on the last line is just fantastic as-is (and would be a perfect straight-to-black). I'll try and record Thingol to go with it and get at least a first-pass of the animation done, but not sure when.
*happy noises*
I haven't done any work on this since WW started. But eventually - I also did not imagine an outro there, it would cut at the moment it stops now. I was tinkering with the idea of using the echo function on Audacity to make "done!" echo a couple times, but just voice without the music. I haven't experimented with it yet. Maybe it's better to cut the voice there too. Dunno. But I am very excited about this when I get back to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
So I can't comment on the French except to note that I can make sense of most of it, but I can say that it's very singable. There's a couple of lines that catch me - I think a lot of them want me to pronounce a final -e as a separate syllable - but by and large it flows beautifully. Fingolfin's verse in particular is just perfectly biting (and I always appreciate a good maintenant).
Hmm. The only time I make use of the poetic French allowance for pronouncing silent end syllables is with "chaine". The rest I think is legit pronunciation. The stuff ending in -er has a pronounced final syllable. Except, because French pronunciation makes a lot of sense, the nouns ending on -er (eg fer) actually sound like -er, as opposed to the infinitive -er verbs (eg oser), which sound like -eh, making them only half-rhymes. Welcome to Whose French Is It Anyway, where the phonetics are made up and the spelling don't matter.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that "frere brulant" is more likely to mean "burning brother" than "flaming/fiery brother". Which is not untrue, just a bit early in the story. ^.^

Maybe I'll sing it, when I fix the mic! To test out the tech for Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It occurs to me, now that Urwen is around again, that we've gone wrong by trying to tie Les Mis to the Fall of the Noldor when it's quite clearly the Fall of Gondolin.

Not to mention the Downfall of Numenor!

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry Men?
It is the music of the mortals
Who will NOT face death again!
Old 04-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I also did not imagine an outro there, it would cut at the moment it stops now. I was tinkering with the idea of using the echo function on Audacity to make "done!" echo a couple times, but just voice without the music. I haven't experimented with it yet. Maybe it's better to cut the voice there too. Dunno.
I actually get irrationally annoyed at songs that have a solid final line, and then insist on echoing, repeating, or fading it. So I am absolutely fine with a complete hard stop there.

Quote:
Hmm. The only time I make use of the poetic French allowance for pronouncing silent end syllables is with "chaine". The rest I think is legit pronunciation. The stuff ending in -er has a pronounced final syllable. Except, because French pronunciation makes a lot of sense, the nouns ending on -er (eg fer) actually sound like -er, as opposed to the infinitive -er verbs (eg oser), which sound like -eh, making them only half-rhymes. Welcome to Whose French Is It Anyway, where the phonetics are made up and the spelling don't matter.
Eh, I'm British, we don't pronounce the letter R if we can possibly help it anyway. Also I suspect this stuff changes between the various French dialects; I know Germany doesn't even have a consistent pronunciation of the pronoun Ich ("I"), so I'd be amazed if there wasn't a French-speaking region which does it completely differently.

(My money's on Quebec or Romandy.)

Quote:
Not to mention the Downfall of Numenor!

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the song of angry Men?
It is the music of the mortals
Who will NOT face death again!

hS