The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2022, 02:28 AM   #3961
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
The umbrella line is a separate entity, as are the rest. There is an overlying connection, but each line has a separate "mini-answer".
Hmmm... okay, so is the answer Bilbo's farewell gifts?

Danceless and dishless, but never more dull, - silver spoons, given to Lobelia S.B.
Weapon fell in the hands of a crone, - umbrella, given to Adelard Took
Neither of Lorien, nor Dimrill Dale, - mirror (but not Of Galadriel or -mere), given to Angelica Baggins
In Mundburg or Imladris would be at home, - could be the bookcase, given to Hugo Bracegirdle; both those places are noted as stores of knowledge
Something to carry, to store, or to hold, - ????
A sword of speech, a well of words. - pen and inkwell, given to Milo Burrows

The ???? ought to be the wastepaper basket for Dora Baggins. It would fit "basket", but the specific type doesn't quite line up. The other option would be the One Ring, which was given to Frodo with an attached note (well, letter), and is at various times carried, stored, and held.

hS
Old 09-21-2022, 05:58 AM   #3962
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That is correct, and perfectly explained! I was thiking the more general "basket" for the ???. I could not think of any basket references elsewhere in the text to use as the clue, hence more of a general description - can you think of any?

Now back over to Hui!
Old 09-21-2022, 07:06 AM   #3963
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
That is correct, and perfectly explained! I was thiking the more general "basket" for the ???. I could not think of any basket references elsewhere in the text to use as the clue, hence more of a general description - can you think of any?
Do the mushrooms from Mrs. Maggot come in a basket? I feel like they do, but this worked well anyway! It was fun seeing bits and pieces come in, finding the link between seemingly disconnected parts, then verifying it by filling out the list. I think the mirror was my favourite part to solve.

I'll try and put something together; not sure what just yet, but I'll try!

hS
Old 09-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #3964
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Okay, here we go:

Red for fire, burning fierce
From forge to raging final cost.
Black for kinship's oath renewed,
A crown unsought 'neath shadow lost.
Silver shining for the gold
That lingers when all hope is gone.
Thrice we chose - but at the last
What choice shared we, all three, ere dawn?

hS
Old 09-22-2022, 03:40 AM   #3965
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.

These sound like Feanor.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:49 AM   #3966
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post

These sound like Feanor.
At least some of those lines refers to Feanor, but Feanor is not one of "we, all three".

hS
Old 09-22-2022, 04:24 AM   #3967
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Red, black and silver...

Old 09-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #3968
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The gold one initially reminded me of Aragorn - all that is gold does not glitter - and thus potentially Men of Dunharrow fulfilling their oath before the dawn from the Orodruin cloud, but can't really fit that to the rest of the lines.

Kinship's oath renewed sounds like Fingolfin's assurances that he will follow his elder brother, and his unexpected and unsought title of High King (but beneath shadow lost? No idea).
Old 09-22-2022, 08:08 AM   #3969
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Red, black and silver...
Yep. Though technically black is an assumption, and red could be more precisely described.

Quote:
The gold one initially reminded me of Aragorn - all that is gold does not glitter - and thus potentially Men of Dunharrow fulfilling their oath before the dawn from the Orodruin cloud, but can't really fit that to the rest of the lines.
None of those, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Kinship's oath renewed sounds like Fingolfin's assurances that he will follow his elder brother, and his unexpected and unsought title of High King (but beneath shadow lost? No idea).
This, however, is exactly what "kinship's oath" and "crown unsought" refer to (and how did Fingolfin's reign end? "...shadow like a thundercloud / and o'er the the gleaming king it bowed...")

hS
Old 09-22-2022, 10:57 AM   #3970
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If red is Feanor, black is Fingolfin and gold is Finarfin, then who are the 'three'? It could be three of them, but you said Feanor isn't one of the three. Hm, maybe their children...but that doesn't work either, because while Feanor and Finarfin have a surviving child, Fingolfin does not...

Unless it's that choice, but if it were that choice, there should be five, not three...Or, it could be three, because three were in the last set, and each set chose once, making in three sets with three choices...

Last edited by Urwen; 09-22-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:01 PM   #3971
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
If red is Feanor, black is Fingolfin and gold is Finarfin, then who are the 'three'? It could be three of them, but you said Feanor isn't one of the three. Hm, maybe their children...but that doesn't work either, because while Feanor and Finarfin have a surviving child, Fingolfin does not...
Red and Black are not Feanor and Fingolfin, though "the gold" is Finarfin. It's not their kids either.

hS
Old 09-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #3972
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, if these lines don't mean either Feanor or Maedhros, then what could they mean...?

Orodruin, perhaps...?

Old 09-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #3973
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:

Well, if these lines don't mean either Feanor or Maedhros, then what could they mean...?

Orodruin, perhaps...?
"For" does not mean what you think it does in this line (or the other comparable ones).

hS
Old 09-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #3974
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

What else could it mean then? Some other meaning in another language?

Old 09-22-2022, 04:21 PM   #3975
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, wait, something is nagging at my brain...

And I think I know what it is, thanks to your explanation of 'silver for gold' line to mean 'silver for Finarfin', and there is only one silver in Finarfin's life, his spouse. Feanor's spouse happened to have red hair, and Fingolfin's had black hair, presumably. But then, what was the choice? I know that all three chose to stay in Aman. Would that be the 'choice' you are talking about?

Last edited by Urwen; 09-22-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM   #3976
Huinesoron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Oh, wait, something is nagging at my brain...

And I think I know what it is, thanks to your explanation of 'silver for gold' line to mean 'silver for Finarfin', and there is only one silver in Finarfin's life, his spouse. Feanor's spouse happened to have red hair, and Fingolfin's had black hair, presumably. But then, what was the choice? I know that all three chose to stay in Aman. Would that be the 'choice' you are talking about?
Correct! Red(dish)-haired* Nerdanel for - ie, marrying - Feanor, (probably) black-haired Anaire for Fingolfin, and silver-haired (per UT) Earwen for Finarfin. They each chose their spouses separately, but they all chose the same fate: to stay in Aman while their husbands and children departed.

Over to you!

hS

*Technically Nerdanel has brown hair - I think according to the Shibboleth - but I take that to be a reddish-brown or russet.
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #3977
Urwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I like that riddle. And now here is the one of my own

The sorrow of the Elves is they live beyond their time
Until the world forgets them, save in tales and rhyme
The sorrow of the Elves is that all they love must die
Time withers all about them, yet the Elves it passes by
The sorrow of the Elves made them seek another place
And I alone remain, on these shores, I am the last of my lost race
Now I, alone, remain to mourn and count the cost
Of wars fought and lives lost
The sorrow now is mine, and it cannot heal,
For how long will the pain remain real
And how long must I bear the stamp of sorrow’s seal?