PDA

View Full Version : Tech probs with forum

The Barrow-Wight
08-12-2003, 07:36 AM
People have been reporting some problems with the forum, but I haven't seen any yet. Please report any error you encounter HERE. Cut and paste the error you get.

I have limited access to the internet, so I may not be able to respond quickly, but it looks like UNderhill is also working on things.

Thanks

Eruwen
08-12-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm not getting any certain error, but in the Movies forum on the topic of Hetty Wainthropp, it won't let me edit my original post, and whenever I go to post again, the post doesn't show up on the thread. I don't know if it just isn't showing up for me, but I don't see it. I'm also not sure if it is the whole Movies section for I'm afraid to post anywhere else because of this reason. Just wanted to let you know.

piosenniel
08-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Am unable to retrieve my old PM's:

Content-type: text/html
Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/U/00004718.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

Child of the 7th Age
08-12-2003, 10:48 AM
I also do not have access to my pms. I get the following error message:

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/Z/00004722.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

Since Pio's pms are also out, none of the Shire moderators can currently receive pms.

Sharon

Nurumaiel
08-12-2003, 10:49 AM
I'm getting a message of the same nature as Pio. Quite unable to access my PM box.

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/K/00004720.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress
08-12-2003, 11:23 AM
I am recieving the same error message in my PM box also.

Rumil
08-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Hi there, had an odd problem yesterday, I was posting to the 'Eagles-heroes of Middle Earth' thread on Books forum, but only half of the message appeared when I submitted it (its the one involving pubs!), then I wasn't allowed to edit the post ???

piosenniel
08-13-2003, 03:32 AM
Trying to PM this member from the Shire - Arien_Tinuviel - # 8190 – unable to reach her from her post in the Green Dragon Inn. Received this message:

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_users/00008190.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/ubb_pm.cgi line 273.

1:23 PM Pacific Time – 08/13/2003

The Barrow-Wight
08-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Looks like private message were affected the most by our latest technical glitch, and I can't do a thing about it until the end of August.

Make do as well as you can, and keep reporting specific errors so I know exactly where to look when I get back to the barrow.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Bęthberry
08-13-2003, 10:13 AM
This one is a tad weird. I received an email notification of a PM this morning, of a PM sent to me last night, but when I tried to access the PMs I got this message:

/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/L/00004746.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

Wednesday, August 13/03. 12:07 pm BD time.

Bethberry

Lyra Greenleaf
08-13-2003, 11:42 AM
My PMs show this:
Software error:
Can't find string terminator "|" anywhere before EOF at /home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/E/00003908.cgi line 37.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@forum.barrowdowns.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
08-13-2003, 07:52 PM
About a month ago, if i went anywhere other than the Books, a message would pop saying that internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. It gave me the option to send or not send an error report. After I chose it would shut down the internet explorer. Well, I tried going around this after a while by shoving the message to the very bottom-right corner of my screen and navigating throught the forum anyways, but it would either cloase ofter a while, or close immediately after viewing certain threads. The only thread that I can remember is this one- LotR: the anti-drug -or something like that. It was really getting me angry since it lasted for like a week and a half, but it worked fine after that.

Then, a couple of days ago, I couldn't get on the Books, or this section. When I clicked to go to either, a blank, white page would load. But that doesn't happen now.

Alkanoonion
08-14-2003, 01:38 AM
on the 11- of Aug I had the problem that when I clicked on this topic all I got was a blank, white page, I used my work computer and my home computer both with the same result.

Kaiserin
08-14-2003, 01:59 AM
I had a similar experience as Rumil's, also at the "Eagles" thread in Books. My message was not truncated though; it would not appear. When I exited, it was indicated that the last post was made by me, though my post was invisible.

The Barrow-Wight
08-14-2003, 03:58 AM
I only need to know what problems are persisting. If the problem has gone away, there is no need to report it.

Lush
08-14-2003, 08:12 PM
The "white screen of death" is haunting me as well. Most of the time it's on the second or third page of a particular thread. Mithadan explained that a large number of posts at one time can cause this, but that was back in May, and on the BD birthday party RPG, which made sense, because of how crowded that thread was. Now the white screen seems to appear randomly throughout. It's happened at least 10 times in the past five days, so I am reporting it.

Estelyn Telcontar
08-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Here's the error message I'm still getting when I try to access my PMs on my personal profile: Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/C/00004745.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 08:16 AM
Lush (and others), what you describe may be a problem with the thread's file being corrupted. If you post the specific topics that are giving you the white screen of death (aka "Beatling", aka "beckoning you to step into the light"), we can either manually doctor them or attempt to restore them from backups once BW gets back to his computer.

Esty (and others with PM problems), I may be able to make a fix that will allow you to start using PMs again -- the rub being that all of your saved PMs will probably be wiped out.

Here's what I suggest: BW probably has backups which can restore most or all of your saved PMs. If there's stuff in there you simply cannot stand to lose, wait for BW. If, on the other hand, you don't care about losing the old PMs, sound off here and I'll try to fix you up as time and opportunity allow.

piosenniel
08-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Mr. Underhill

I don't care about the saved PM's - please restore the function to me.

Thanks!

~~ Pio

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Try it now pio, and please check back to let me know if works. If it does, people who want a fix can post their specific error messages and I'll do a big batch later on.

piosenniel
08-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Still showing this message:

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/U/00004718.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

with 5 old messages unaccessable.

Lush
08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Here's one URL for the latest "white screen of death" incident:
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002226&p=2

[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]

Sharkű
08-15-2003, 11:48 AM
That topic only has 40 posts and therefore only one page.
However, if a post to it has previously been deleted or sth. like that, the topic's 'internal' post count is off, and a blank second page is opened up (at least that's how I understood BW).

nb.
As far as I know, BW's backup of PMs is already around two weeks (maybe just one?) old, and I made one only the other day. Chances are that you might lose any PMs sent inbetween the two backups anyway, but I'm no expert.

[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Sharkű ]

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Believe it or not we're making progress, pio. Try it now.

P.S. - That's pretty much on the money, Sharkey.

[ August 15, 2003: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]

piosenniel
08-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Mr. Underhill

All is restored - including the stored PM's.

Thank you!

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Stored PMs still there -- even better!

Still, I offer no guarantees. If you want to go for it, remember to post the exact error message you're encountering.

Nurumaiel
08-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Mister Underhill,

I like to take the chance of losing current PMs and go for it. I have the important ones saved, so if they're lost it won't affect me too much.

The message I'm getting is exactly as follows:

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/K/00004720.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.

Child of the 7th Age
08-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Here is my error message again:

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/Z/00004722.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@forum.barrowdowns.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Mr Underhill,

I would really appreciate getting my pms restored, even if the old ones get eaten.

Cami, Shire Mod

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Cami and Nurumaiel, you two should be good to go. Let me know if you receive further errors.

Child of the 7th Age
08-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Mister Underhill,

I'm not sure that it worked. This is what the page shows:

Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/K/00004719.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@forum.barrowdowns.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Then it shows this--that I still have 10 messages, but I can only scroll down to the top one which says it is recently deleted. I can't see the normal bottom of the page:

Private Messages: 10 Unread messages are in bold.
Del? Subject From: Date
This Private Message Not Found (perhaps recently deleted)

I'll have someone send me a pm and see if it works, but it looks strange.

Cami

Child of the 7th Age
08-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Mister Underdown,

Good try, but it definitely doesn't work. When someone tried to send a message, they got a note saying my mailbox was full.

Cami

piosenniel
08-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Child

No - the message still states your PM's are full

Estelyn Telcontar
08-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I'd like to have my PM function back as well - this is the error message I'm getting: Content-type: text/html
Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/C/00004745.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232. I have the e-mail notifications of my messages, so I'll risk losing them; however, it might take time to find the members who wrote them, therefore answers may be slow in coming.

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Bear with me. Sometimes more than one file is affected and we have to track them all down. Give it a try now.

Child of the 7th Age
08-15-2003, 07:03 PM
PM's and messages are back!!! Thanks!

Mister Underhill
08-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Good deal. Esty, you should (hopefully) be fixed up now too.

Estelyn Telcontar
08-16-2003, 03:08 AM
Underhill, my PM box is still showing this (slightly changed) message: Content-type: text/html
Software error:
/home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/Q/00004729.cgi did not return a true value at /home2/barrowwight/www/ubb/Templates/public_my_profile.pl line 232.
One e-mail has been restored; the other shows this message: This Private Message Not Found (perhaps recently deleted) The other 6 (I had a total of 8 when I came back from my trip) have not showed up again. Thanks for all of the effort you are putting into this chaos!

08-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Mr. Underhill-

It would be absolutely splendid to have my pms working again, if you could.

The error: Content-type: text/html
Software error:

Thanks a bunch!

Sophia

Lyra Greenleaf
08-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Another problem (unless I'm going round the bend- which is quite possible) is that I just posted here yesterday and my post has been eaten! I'll try again.

Could you please restore my PMs, it doesn't matter about deleting the old ones. I'm fed up of only having two spaces.

EDIT: Phew, at least this one shows up!

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]

Mister Underhill
08-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Okay everyone. Give it a try. Lyra, if you're still getting a PM error, you're going to have to post your specific message here as the others have done.

Estelyn Telcontar
08-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks, Underhill - I have my PM box back again, functioning well, as far as I can see. I lost several messages, not all though. Appreciate your help!

08-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Blessings on Mr. Underhill! smilies/smile.gif My PMs are functioning again as well. Thanks so much.

Sophia

Nurumaiel
08-16-2003, 12:45 PM
Mr. Underhill,

All working perfectly now! And only one PM was lost. Thank you ever so much!

Lyra Greenleaf
08-16-2003, 03:36 PM
No they aren't fixed. I actually put the error message in my first post, but I should have done it again, sorry!. Here it is: Content-type: text/html
Software error:
Can't find string terminator "|" anywhere before EOF at /home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/E/00003908.cgi line 37.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@forum.barrowdowns.com), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Aug 16 17:35:09 2003] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't find string terminator "|" anywhere before EOF at /home2/barrowwight/cgi-bin/Members/pm_topics/E/00003908.cgi line 37. Compilation failed in require.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]

Mister Underhill
08-17-2003, 11:45 PM
You should be fixed up now, Lyra. Missed that first post -- the thread has gotten somewhat cluttered. Post here again, of course, if my tinkering still hasn't solved the problem.