PDA

View Full Version : It's Tolkien's One-Hundred and Eleventyth Birthday!

Fingo
01-01-2003, 04:28 PM
January 3rd marks J.R.R. Tolkien's 111 birthday, a very important number for Bilbo in the FotR. I was just finished the Hobbit for the umpteenth time, and actually read the short biography about Tolkien in the back when it struck me that he would be having a birthday soon, and an important one at that. So, for the sake of posterity, I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY , PROF. TOLKIEN, Author of great reknown and praise.

Marsyas
01-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Thankyou for this observation!!
Happy Birthday JRRT!!!!!

Merri
01-01-2003, 05:55 PM
But . . . but, it's a bit early, isn't it? It's only January 1st . . .

Anyway:

HAPPY eleventyfirst birthday, Professor Tolkien!!!

Wouldn't it be cool if they threw a party for him the way they did for Bilbo? 'Course, it'd be a little different, cuz he's dead, but . . .

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]

Achika E.
01-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Happy Birthday to one of our favorite geniuses!
Happy Birthday Pro. Tolkien. smilies/wink.gif

Elven-Maiden
01-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Happy B-Day J.R.R. Tolkien! And Happy B-Day to me!! Pretty cool- sharing a birthday with Tolkien, eh? smilies/biggrin.gif

Manardariel
01-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Elven-Maiden, I am WAY jealous!

Anyway, Happy Birthday Tolkien... wish you were alive... or at least your Birthday an international holiday!

Diamond18
01-01-2003, 08:18 PM
I think a better way to put it would be the 111th anniversary of Tolkien's birth, seeing as it's hard to have a birthday when you're dead.

But I did just notice that today as I put up my Ted Nasmith calendar (with all those important Tolkien-related dates made note of). January 3rd also happens to be the birthday of one of my cousins. He'll be 13...but wouldn't it be cool if he was turning 11? Ah, yes. Eleven is a very important number in the Shire. Elevenses! I wonder if there's any special reason for this? Why Tolkien would have an affinity for the number eleven? It does sound somewhat like "Elven". smilies/wink.gif

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Ithaeliel
01-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool that we get to be here and celebrate our savior's 111th birthday... Bilbo Baggins... uncanny smilies/eek.gif Anyway, the 3rd also marks my best friend's birthday (she's a big fan of Tolkien too) so happy birthday to John Ronald Reul Tolkien AND her!

Estelyn Telcontar
01-02-2003, 01:22 AM
This announcement belongs on the Barrow-Downs forum. I'm moving it there and closing the duplicate threads on other forums.

Maeglin
01-02-2003, 06:40 PM
!!! That's tomorrow. smilies/biggrin.gif

Happy Birthday old champ!

Galadrie1
01-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Woohoo! A reason to have cake! I haven't had cake for so long. smilies/smile.gif
Happy birthday, Mr. Tolkien! smilies/biggrin.gif

Aylwen Dreamsong
01-02-2003, 09:40 PM
January 3rd is my cousin's birthday! Cool. We could consider it a deathday, but then, we would have to subtract from how old he was when he died and then....nevermind, you do the math. I hate math.

Happy birth/death-day to J.R.R. Tolkien. Maybe he wanders with the rest of us dead people?

Just kidding. But Happy Anniversary/Birthday/Deathday/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to Tolkien.

Aylwen smilies/rolleyes.gif

HerenIstarion
01-03-2003, 03:38 AM
Seemingly I'm the first to post on birthday itself smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm happy to announce that yesterday night, as clock stroke 12 I raised my glass of Finlandia (choice deliberate, since the Professor liked Suomi so much) to his health smilies/smile.gif

Estelyn Telcontar
01-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Health, HerenIstarion?? What kind of health does a man have who has already died? smilies/wink.gif

Anyway, here's remembering the birth of my favorite author - cheers!

Eärendil
01-03-2003, 07:22 AM
Happy eleventyfirst birthday Tolkien!

amaranth_telcontar
01-03-2003, 07:58 AM
i was just about to post a topic like this, when i realised it was already done - by you! very happy birthday to our dear departed tolkien. i often wonder what he'd say if he were alive now, what he'd think to all these people who've gone completely ape over LotR.
But yeah, he's 111... eleventy one! Yay! smilies/smile.gif

dragoneyes
01-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Happy Eleventy-first Birthday Tolkien! I'm off to have a party now smilies/smile.gif.

Arwen Imladris
01-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Happy Birthday Tolkien! Hope you... enjoy it? Oh well, Rest in peace then.

Daewen
01-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Happy birthday to you...happy birthday to you. Let's go to the Green Dragon for a pint to celebrate!

Sadbh
01-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Happy Birthday, Tolkien! Wow, one-hundred and eleventy years old. I'm so annoyed! Why didn't I realize this before, WHY? Anyways, Happy Birthday.

Galadrie1
01-03-2003, 02:41 PM
We could consider it a deathday I think Tolkien's Deathday would be the anniversary of the day when he died (September 2nd).

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]

Luinsewiel
01-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Happy Birthday Professor! Wish you were here to celerate with us smilies/frown.gif

Diamond18
01-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Last post on this auspicious day (by the BD clocks)! It will never come again, alas. I'm just glad that I'm a part of Tolkien-lovers-community on this most noteworthy of days!

Edit: No, no, no! I don't care what the clock says, it was 11:59 on the 3rd. Bah Dratbug.

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Gorwingel
01-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Happy Birthday, Thank you for everything you gave to us smilies/biggrin.gif

Sleeping Beauty
01-03-2003, 11:49 PM
*bows* I humbly wish you a Happy Birthday Tolkien even though you are no longer with us. We here on Earth will celebrate in our own little ways the influence you have had on our lives. I myself plan to settle down by the err...heater and read a bit of the Hobbit in rememberance. Wherever you are, I hope you are enjoying the fondness people have for your life and your books and characters.

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]

Kalimac
01-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Happy birthday (albeit a bit late, but in some parts of the world it's still January 3rd). I celebrated by going to the library and checking out the books of Lost Tales and a biography of Tolkien (and raising a glass to the Professor this evening, of course).

Estelyn, you could say that wishing him good health at this point is irrelevant because never again will he have to worry about so much as a cold or even the most minor ailment. So in some ways he's in excellent health smilies/smile.gif.

FarathrimMaiden
01-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Well, its quite too late, but i still wanted to wish Tolkien a happy birthday on this messageboard.

Happy Eleventy-First, Professor!

Did anyone hear how an international way to celebrate was to have a toast at 9:00 (eastern time maybe?) and to say "The Professor", well i didnt hear that till to late, but i did celebrate with an unexpected party (hehe it really was) with cake and a Tolkien trivia game and a toast. smilies/wink.gif

(I even recreated galadriels mirror much to the disamay of my mother.

Sindafalathiel
01-05-2003, 05:22 PM
I'm *cough* a bit late, but don't blame me, the only calendar I have is a Shire calendar! they're 9 days off!

HerenIstarion
01-08-2003, 02:47 AM
What kind of health does a man have who has already died?

um...spiritual health, maybe?...