PDA

View Full Version : Of Eagles and, well, eagles...

Elerrina
07-21-2001, 09:38 PM
<BR>Just curious to see if anyone knows...<br> <br> Have we heard any news about the eagles in the trilogy? I just realized that I've yet to see any depiction or casting on voices or whatnot. I don't really know how they'd rework an 'eagleless' story, but I imagine they could. It's not a huge deal; I'm just grateful that such a substantial amount of work was put into the movies, though I am mourning poor Tom. I was just looking foward to seeing them rendered on screen, and was wondering if anyone knew anything..Thanks. <p>~ Elerrina ('Crowned with stars'; a name of Taniquetil; Only thing that wasn't taken) 'Many are the strange chances of the world,'said Mithrandir,'and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter."</p>

Malagaerion
07-22-2001, 08:00 AM
<BR> Re: Of Eagles and, well, eagles...</b><br><br> Which brings up another question. Will they show Gandalfs imprisonment at Orthanc? If they do they will somehow have to show how he escaped (hopefully it will be by eagle airlift) <p></p>

LionPixie
07-22-2001, 11:23 AM
<BR> Eagles</b><br><br> How else would they save Frodo and Sam from the mountain? Unless, of course, Arwen saves them. (Don't cringe, I jest.)<br> <br> Mithrandir may only describe his rescue when Galadriel asks Gwaihir to look for him, but Return of the King clearly describes the rescue of Frodo and Sam.<br> <br> Computer generated, or real eagles (in the distance).<br> Pictures may not be ready yet if not needed till near the end of the 3rd movie. <p></p>

Enedbelethiel
01-10-2004, 12:23 PM
This is actually a newbie kind of question, but I figured it fit better under this category since it has to do with the RoTK movie. In the end when the eagles swoop down to pick up Sam and Frodo from Mordor, I couldn't help but wonder why the eagles couldn't just pick them up from Rivendell in the first place and take them straight to Mordor. I guess that obviously would have killed the plot of the story but I still couldn't help thinking about it. In fact, I could ask this same question from the book sense, too. The eagles actually seemed invincible to orc forces, and I doubt that any of the fell beasts could have done much damage to them. Anyone with an answer?

Iarhen
01-10-2004, 01:09 PM
One Reason: Sauron.<P>My guess is that Sauron has some kind of protective girdle around Mordor, that kept everyone out. Remember that he places shadows upon his realm for his protection. If an eagle wanted to do such a task, not only would the eagle have to overcome the power of Sauron protecting the land (infinite shadow, heat, the Will of Sauron against you and a fat chance to get alive to Mt. Doom... thanks to all the lava, heat, smoke, etc), but the Nazgul on their winged beasts and the orc's arrows.<P>Maybe the fell beasts could not do much by themselves, but the cries of the Nazgul scared everyone, including animals.

Estelyn Telcontar
01-10-2004, 01:37 PM
For an interesting discussion on the book aspect of the topic, take a look at this Books discussion:<BR> <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000779" TARGET=_blank>The Great Eagle Mystery</A>. Enjoy!

Enedbelethiel
01-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Iarhen and Estelyn! I'll definitely peruse that thread for more answers to satiate my eagle questions