PDA

View Full Version : What does the TWO TOWERS symbolize??

archangel00
01-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Hi.<P>Is there a meaning behind the TWo Towers??

Elrian
01-16-2002, 01:35 AM
The Towers of Orthanc (Isengard) and Baradur (Mordor)<p>[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Elrian ]

Nazgūl Queen
01-16-2002, 01:38 AM
Actually... i thought it symbolised the two towers that originally guarded Mordor: Minas Tirith "the White City of Gondor" and Minas Morgul which was overtaken by the nazgul

amyrlis
01-16-2002, 02:09 PM
Hhmmm... I kind of thought the same thing as Nazgul Queen, but always wondered about Orthanc too. Hadn't thought about Barad-Dur as well, but that makes 4 and now I really don't know!

Eowyn of Ithilien
01-16-2002, 02:55 PM
In a sort of after note in the Fellowship of the Ring it says that the next part is called the Two Towers because it is dominated by events in Orthanc and Minas Morgul.

Keeper of Dol Guldur
01-16-2002, 02:55 PM
I'd say Orthanc and Minas Morgul-the two towers that were seen in the book by the characters, and under lead by the two beings most influenced to evil by Sauron and most powerful (even though Saruman wasn't under Sauron's dominion, he was influenced through the Palantir-which also is a good point, Orthanc had a Palantir that still exsisted and Morgul still probably had one-I think that is where Sauron got his.

Elrian
01-16-2002, 04:39 PM
I didn't figure Minus Morgul since it was a fortress and not a tower, but my book says the same as yours.

Elendur
01-16-2002, 05:29 PM
It means Barad-Dur and Isengard. They housed the two main enemys of the Quest.

Nazgūl Queen
01-16-2002, 06:43 PM
<center> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Elrian:<BR><STRONG>I didn't figure Minus Morgul since it was a fortress and not a tower</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>True.... then again, Barad Dur is also more of a fortress than a tower IMO

SlinkerStinker
01-17-2002, 03:37 AM
***Opens The Fellowship of the Rings book to the last page (It's the one that says THE END on it)***<P>Reads aloud: <P>"Here ends the first part of the history of the War of the Ring. The second part is called The Two Towers, since the events recounted in it are dominated by Orthanc, the citadel of Saruman, and the fortress of Minas Morgul that guards the secret entrance to Mordor;"

amyrlis
01-17-2002, 01:29 PM
I think that solves it! Thanks SlinkerStinker! I should pay more attention to my books next time.

Dūrkriswen
01-17-2002, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nazgūl Queen:<BR><STRONG>Actually... i thought it symbolised the two towers that originally guarded Mordor: Minas Tirith "the White City of Gondor" and Minas Morgul which was overtaken by the nazgul</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think this is true because these two towers were most talked about in that book. <P>i.e. Frodo near Minis Tirith with Faramir, Frodo going past Minas Morgul to get to Cirith Ungul.<P>Sauron's tower didn't realy play that big a part in the second book.

Elrian
01-17-2002, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>True.... then again, Barad Dur is also more of a fortress than a tower IMO <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Barad-dur is also called the Dark Tower. See glossary in the Silmarillion.