PDA

View Full Version : Apperance of Arwen

Rochelle
03-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Throughout TTT my dad was complaining about the liberties that Peter Jackson took, and things he left out/rearranged/added *lol*<P>One of them was the apperance of Arwen, since she wasn't a part of TTT at all. I finally finished ROTK and was reading the appendices and found something dear dad might have missed. It said that Arwen watched over Aragorn in her thought. <P>Do you think I'm right in assuming this is how PJ came to put Arwen in the form of dreams? (Aragorn's almost-death scene & dream)<P>I also finally pieced together Eowyn's speech in Edoras from the movie...the one between her and Aragorn. Each of those lines were scattered throughout ROTK *lol* I'm glad they were somewhere to be found.<p>[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: Rochelle ]

Eruwen
03-03-2003, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Do you think I'm right in assuming this is how PJ came to put Arwen in the form of dreams? (Aragorn's almost-death scene & dream)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not sure if PJ was putting that scene in that way or not. I don't think anyone could say but PJ himself. It could be a possibility, and it's something cool to think about. It gives us one more reason to give credits to the writers of the movie in that they went by the books. I like it when writers throw in stuff like that. <P>For instance, in FOTR, Sam runs in to Frodo's room in Rivendell and grabs his hand. Most people would not have taken any thought to that at all, but it's in the books. That shows that the people making the movie cared enough about sticking to the books that they added in such a small feature as this to make it more interesting.

Rochelle
03-03-2003, 08:18 PM
*lol* I think we have Ian McKellen to thank for that hand-holding bit

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
03-03-2003, 09:15 PM
You beat me to it, Rochelle (the hand-holding bit and who is to thank for it). <P>I think you may be right, however, in assuming that the writers put those scenes in because of the appendices.

Scott
03-04-2003, 12:21 AM
I think that, with all of the ardent fans of the books (you know, such as ourselves), Peter Jackson knew he would have to be pretty cognisant of what he may or may not have been able to get away with. I'd be suprised if he hadn't read the appendices over just as many, if not more, times as any one of us has. That's why the movies did so well!

Burzdol
03-07-2003, 03:35 PM
He still could have done better.<P>~Burzdol~

Rochelle
03-07-2003, 06:11 PM
In my opinion, Peter Jackson did as well as movies will allow. <P>His greatest accomplishment was getting me to read the trilogy after seeing the movies! I think that compliments his work more than anything else...

Himaran
04-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Aye, Burzdol, the job was done well, but I think PJ underestimated how fans would be disappointed at even the slightest change from the book...

Arafangwen
04-05-2003, 02:12 AM
I think PJ could have stuck a little more to the books, but he pulled it off and I think it was great even though he did stray in more than one section. And some of the stuff he added like the whole Aragorn~Arwen sceen could have been, oh shall we say, "more subtle"? But it was good no matter how hard you try to critiscize it.

HCIsland
04-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Speaking of Arwen, I figure it's a given that she will be bringing Narsil/Anduril to Aragorn towards the beginning of RotK, but getting her from there to Minas Tirith after the battle is problematic. Does she take the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn? Does she travel with Theoden and company? Both don't really work.<P>My wife and I were talking last night about this and what we could see happening is this. She delivers the sword, but Aragorn tells her that she needs to go. This is his battle, etc. She then goes to Lorien to talk with grandma (Galadriel) regarding what she is to do (don't we have scenes with the two of them?). Even Elrond could show up there by the end and he and Arwen could reconcile. Elrond and Arwen can then arrive at Minas Tirith after the battle.<P>It solves some problems. It keeps these three characters in the movie and it gets Arwen to Minas Tirith with her neither seeming the Trophy Bride or the Warrior Princess.<P>H.C.<p>[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]

Carorëiel
04-07-2003, 12:19 PM
I think both FotR and tTT are excellent movies. I, as a person who has known these stories since I was about five, have a few issues with some of the changes he made. But I recognize that a movie is not a book. What works on the page may not work on the screen. Thus far, all of the changes seem only to make the story work better as a film, and I applaud PJ for doing what he thought would make a good movie and not worrying exclusively about what the fans wanted. If you're going to create art, you can't pander to your audience.

Burzdol
04-07-2003, 12:27 PM
I change my first statement. Peter Jackson did do an unbeleiveable job. Though, major things were changed for the worse.<P>~Burzdol~

Heathie4479
04-09-2003, 07:19 PM
I agree Burzdol! I think PJ did a tremendous job at captuing the books, but could have changed some things to make them better. But it would be so hard to make the books into movies that would let everyone enjoy them. I think that if they followed the books exactly, first of all they would be about 10 hours long each (no exgaeration) and second of all, it would then only appel to people who have read the books or were planing on it. Just my thoughts.