PDA

View Full Version : Boromir

Arathiriel
08-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Just curious about how many of you liked the character of Boromir just by reading the book or were you one of those fand who didn't care all that much for his character until you watched <I>The Fellowship of the Ring</I>?<P>Personally it took me watching the movie to get me to like him as a character!<P>I must say Sean Bean did a really wonderful job of humanizing the character! <P>

Eruwen
08-08-2002, 08:34 PM
I agree with you, Arathiriel. I didn't really like him in the book. But when I saw the movie, I became to get a love for the character. <P>He isn't my favrite character, but he is up there on the list.

Raefindel
08-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Add me to the count, too. I thought he got what he deserved when I read the book. But Sean Bean played him so well he seemed just a little mis-understood and actually rather likeable.

gayare'dion
08-08-2002, 08:57 PM
i loved how, happy he was when he was teaching the hobbits how to sword fight, and how he was laughing.<BR> and when he charges in to make right the wrong at the end, and died nobely, and fought hard

Lady_Galadriel
08-08-2002, 09:42 PM
I agree in the book i really didnt care much for him, but in the movie sean did such a good job as boromir i now like him more... <BR>And yesss...it was cool to see how happy he was and also aragorn looked very happy in that scene too! It just feels good inside to see the characters happy, when so much is unhappy in the world...

Aroaraniel
08-09-2002, 10:22 PM
I liked him, but yet I didn't like him. In the book I just thought of him as another character, but when I saw the movie, I hated him because...he was...*CAN'T EXPLAIN* but yet I enjoyed him! I like the swordfight lessons with Merry and Pippin, but I thought of him as a fool in a way. I really can't explain. I got mixed feelings for the guy, although I do think it would have been interesting to see what would happen with him in the rest of the story if he hadn't been killed!

Lord Tohlos
08-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I think he should have lived...he is my favorite character, aside from Gili.

orlandoandsaran
08-10-2002, 09:03 AM
I think Boromir was great in the book and i liked him but when i watched the movie like...for 3 times then i started liking his character more.<BR>Boromir should have lived longer.<BR>

randycarrot
08-10-2002, 09:40 AM
I like Boromir but i like Faramir much more, Sean Bean was perfect for the role of Boromir... he was so good. Sean Bean gets everywhere! I like Boromir more in the film.<P>I really need to read LOTR again! The last time i finished reading it was in Jan... sigh.

Ravenna
08-10-2002, 09:59 AM
I never really disliked Boromir in the books, but I think because, in the film you can see his struggles with his consience in his expression, he comes across as a more fully developed character and therefore we are able to like him that little bit more.<BR>I too think that Sean Bean played him really well, especially towards the end from Lothlorien onwards.

elvencat
08-11-2002, 05:31 PM
It was a little more than just the movie. I didn't really care for him in the book, when I first saw him in the movie I thought, "Man, Boromir's hot, bummer he's a jerk and dies." Then I went to my cousin's religion class where they had a speaker on Tolkien who expressed the sadness over Boromir who tryed his best to save his people and ultimately failed at it, then redeamed himself at the very end. THAT was what really made me seem him in a different light and start to really like him as a character. Upon rewatching LOTR I could really see that aspect of it anew in Sean's portrayal of what has become one of my favorite characters.

Emni Windrunner
08-13-2002, 10:36 AM
I don't know exactly when I started liking Boromir as a character, but I never really hated him. I was just ticked off at his lack of foresight. He was really cool until the Ring took him, and even afterward, he died a hero's death. The only bad thing about Boromir is the fact that he was sort of a misguided hero, trying things that wouldn't work to save his people. Admirable, but very tragic.

Shadowstrife911
08-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Sean Bean potrayed Boromir very well, he was a misguided man who just wanted to save his people. As for the book, at first all the events leading up to the ending made me dislike him. However, when he fights and dies to save the Hobbits, the conversation with Aragorn and even his burial were noble and heroic.<P> He's your standard classical hero, specifically Greek. Boromir is a noble and courageous warrior who is desperate to save his homeland and falls prey to the faults of mankind. But as with all classical heroes, he redeems himself in the end for what he does wrong.

Eomer of the Rohirrim
08-13-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised that a lot of you think that Boromir was portrayed better in the film than in the book. I agree that PJ did a great job though.<P>I always liked Boromir, from the first time I read 'The Council of Elrond'

Boromir's Lady
08-15-2002, 06:57 PM
I 'liked' Boromir in the book, but after seeing Sean Bean bring the character to life on screen I 'Loved' him! I hated it that he died. I would have loved to see what his character would have done after he realized the hold the ring had on him.<P>I agree with what so many of you have said about his character!

Dinagariel
08-16-2002, 05:03 AM
The first time I saw the movie, I didn't care for Boromir at all. <BR>Then after reading the books and seeing the movie several times, I felt very sad for him. I think he's a great and noble character.<BR>Sean Bean was perfect for the part.

Lothiriel Silmarien
08-16-2002, 11:40 AM
I liked Boromir, in the book and movie. He was very real, if you get me. He was a human, he had weaknesses, no one's perfect! Even the son of the Stweard of Gondor. But before he died, he realized that what he did was wrong, and he shamed himself. He apologized for that though. I think he is a very respectable character. And Sean Bean did an absolute wonderful job!!!!

Davin
08-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Boromir is one of my favorite characters, and I think that's because he reminds me of myself in a couple of ways. And Sean Bean did a fantasticaliscious job of playing the role. I think he did one of the best (if not the best in my opinion) jobs of acting in the entire film. I only wish he would be in the next two...but if PJ brings him back, there will be lots of angry fans screaming at him.

Arwen Imladris
08-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I never really liked Boromir, before or after the movie. I am not one to hate people but of the fellowship he is at the bottom. I know that it wasn't really his fault but he still did kindof scare Frodo away, I can never like him because of that.

Birdland
08-16-2002, 07:26 PM
I must admit that I was one of those who did not care for Boromir in the book. I use to wonder at Pippin's admiration for him. ("Silly Hobbit, he's gonna sell you all down the river!") I suppose I could understand Frodo's forbearance towards the warrior of Gondor. After all, who better than Frodo could understand what Boromir was going through? <P>But I have to admit that P.J. did the better job of showing the tortured soul of the son of Denethor. And this worries me a little. Is it my own failing that I couldn't appreciate his dilemma more in the book, or is it Tolkien's portrayal that was lacking?

Guinevere
08-21-2002, 08:50 AM
Birdland, you have said exatly what I think, about Boromir in the movie! <BR>In the book we get to know Boromir`s character better in the scene when Faramir talks about him to Frodo and Sam. (Alas! Poor Boromir!) After that I had more understanding for him. I wonder if we`re going to see that scene when Faramir sees Boromir`s funeral boat floating by on the Anduin ?

Calenedheliel
08-21-2002, 09:27 AM
I liked Boromir in the book, but I think the movie brought out his character and inner struggles more. It made him seem more real.

Aubrey
08-21-2002, 01:20 PM
I always liked Boromir and they did EXCELLENT in the movie as Tolkien did with him in the book...he was a bit difficult to understand in the book...for me...because I think, the only person who totally understood him in the book was Tolkien. But I did like him cause I think we all have a bit of Boromir and us. <P>We also have to remember that if the Fellowship would've went to Mordor with Frodo and Sam, it would've probably corrupted them. We just don't know. Boromir really just didn't get it, that he couldn't do ANY good with the Ring, no matter what...like it just didn't register with him. he had good intentions. And when he died....OHHH, that was SO sad...he was so brave and then when he was talking to Aragorn...Ohhhhh, that reminds me of something funny when I say it for the first time....<P>It was opening night and when Boromir died and Aragorn was 'paying his respects' the people were like "Aragorn's CATHOLIC!" and then they were like "OHHHHHH" I laughed so hard after that. I like to call it "The Gondor Thing" (Remember Aragorn at Rivendell with Anduril) Just my thoughts

the phantom
08-21-2002, 11:08 PM
I have always had a special place in my heart for Boromir. <BR>I'm the sort of person that takes an entire day to read one chapter of a book. After every paragraph, sometimes every sentence, I ponder all the possible implications and meanings. I also try as hard as I can to really get to know each and every character. <BR>I personally felt the same towards Boromir after reading LOTR as I did after watching the movie. <BR>When you're reading, you have to give each action and statement by any character some deep thought, and discern what the attitude and character is behind it. If you read the book like this, I think you will have pity on Boromir, and even possibly remember him with kindness, as most of you did after watching the movie.

Lothiriel Silmarien
08-22-2002, 09:59 AM
If I knew how to put a clapping smiley I would! That'll have to do.

Rose Cotton
08-22-2002, 01:50 PM
When I read the books I absalutly hated Boromir. I thought that he was was just a greedy orc in disguise.<P>Then I watched the movie. Up to Lothlorien Sean Bean didn't give me any reason to like Boromir. Everytime he spoke I just wanted to stuff somthing in his mouth. If I had been Aragorn on that mountain when Boromir ruffled Frodo's hair I would have sliced him in two. <P>Then they got to Lothlorien and I still hated him. But when he cried I felt pity for him too. 'Poor demented man can't find his hope.' I realize now I was being too hard on him. I was too eager to judge him before really getting to know him.<P>Durring the breaking of the fellowship when Boromir tried to take the ring and then died redeeming himself, well that's when I said to myself, "You know, Boromir really is a nice guy." It wasn't nessasarally because the movie protrayed Boromir's charicter better then the book it was just at that moment when it hit me.<P>I was amazed at how brave and heroic he was. And it was so sad when he confessed what he had done to Aragorn.<P>I have never felt any bad feelings towards Boromir since. In fact, he's one of my favorite charicters. I think Sean Bean did a great job by keeping my anger going untill the end. Three Cheers for both Sean and Boromir!!<P>Funny how these things work out.

Rosseiliantiel
08-23-2002, 05:16 PM
I can't say I really thought much of the character in the book. It seemed a little 'flat' to me, I don't know. I couldn't really sympathize with him or anything. <P>At the beginning of the movie, I have to say I disliked him. He was acted very well throughout, but I was...ahem...mad at him because he was...er...being mean to Strider! There, I said it! OK anyways throughout the movie he just sort of grew on me, until the 'lovely' climax of his death scene. He's really a very complex character, when you think about it. I cried when he died the first few times I saw the movie

Mattius
08-25-2002, 11:32 AM
Yea, Boromir's inner struggle against wanting to protect his people with use of the ring and the wishes of the council is one of the main plots in the 1st book/movie. Sean Bean is an excellent and most admirable actor. he is from my city (sheffield, england- not Gondor) so therefore he is very cool! i think the whole of the movie was casted extremly well especially the following; Strider, Sam, Gimli and Frodo.

Voronwen Amatiriel Cuile
08-25-2002, 12:04 PM
you know, i liked Boromir's role in the story even when i read the books, but i was just thinking about how if he were a real person, i would definitly feel differently. for most of the book (the first time around, anyway) and the movie he made me so angry! arogance is one thing i can't stand in people, and that was the impression i got from him at first. when he died in the book, i started to feel pity for him, and i supose i saw some of my weaknesses in him (i think every one could say that if they really gave it serious thought). his part was esential and gave the story so much, well, character, and also served as a tragic but somehow all too real demonstration of the power of the Ring. but when i saw the movie, i realized that that arogant attitude was more due to pride for his kingdom. maybe a bit too much pride, but nobler than arogance all the same. anyway, that's when i first started to really like him, in a starange sort of way, as a person. i think this could have been developed more in the book, true, but i think Boromir is one of those characters that everyone makes into what they want him to be. i would jump on the bandwagon and agree that Sean Bean did a marvelous job of portraying Boromir, but that would imply that when i watched the movie, i saw Sean Bean as an actor playing Boromir. not so. Sean didn't play Boromir- he became Boromir.<BR>well, there's my 2 cents worth.