PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the worst part of the movie?

keverzwijn
08-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Well, what's your worst scene in LOTR. For me it is the prologue, I just didn't like the way they left some parts out (smeagol en deagol, isuldur fleeing from orcs, ...) And I also thought Sauron, when making the ring, looked stupid. Throw in your opinion!!

Eruwen
08-09-2002, 05:30 PM
I really didn't have a bad part. I liked all of them. But it there was one I would put at the bottom of my good list, it would be the thing with Saruman and Gandalf. I don't know. I just kinda thought it was boring. {Even if it was a big fight seen.} Cause no offense, but it isn't really that entertaining to see a couple old guys throwing each other against a wall. <P>But I'm not saying that I didn't like that part. Just out of the whole movie of good scenes, that was at the bottom of the list. {So don't kill me!!} <p>[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]

Marileangorifurnimaluim
08-09-2002, 09:11 PM
I loved the movie of course, but the entire scene with Saruman talking to his super-orc, Urukhai (listed in the credits as Lurtz) was very forced and stale. "Do you know how the orcs came to be? They were elves once." There had to have been a better way to convey this info.

gayare'dion
08-09-2002, 09:29 PM
i loved the whole uruk-hai thing, and his speeches to them. and i think that the ending with boromir, fighting, all the orcs, and making right the wrong he did, was THE BEST!!!!!!! i swear that is some of the greatest acting ive seen!

Samwise
08-09-2002, 09:36 PM
Mm. Tough, 'cause I pretty much liked the whole movie, too. <BR>Um...my least favorite scene...<BR>well...now that I've reread the books, I guess the "love scene" between Arwen and Aragorn. <BR>I mean, if you've read the books, it made sense, but if you hadn't before you saw the movie...I don't know. It just seemed out of place. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"That's all I know." stammered Sam, blushing. "I learned it from Mr. Bilbo when I was a lad. " <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aroaraniel
08-09-2002, 09:59 PM
Probably the scene with the Mirror of Galadriel...it just was too wierd...with her becoming all scary looking. But other then that, there was nothing wrong with the movie!

Ladriel
08-09-2002, 11:13 PM
I didn't really like the scene with Galadriel either, she was freaky, I don't remember her being scary in the book.

Gimli Son Of Gloin
08-09-2002, 11:58 PM
Yea, that part was freaky. Galadriel had her hair in such a way, it made her nose look blunt, and she looked, almost ugly! She was supposed to the most beautiful elf, but she wasn't.

Daisy Sandybanks
08-10-2002, 02:19 AM
I think the worst part in the movie for me was the scene between Arwen and Aragorn on the bridge in Rivendell. That never quite happened in the book (then again, a lot of things in the movie never quite happened the way they did in the book). And I just happen to not like Liv Tyler much at all....

Anastasia
08-10-2002, 03:35 AM
I think my worst bit was the bit with the cave troll cos it stood out as being fake and made me think more of the coomputer effects guys than the movie... <P>The best i think was when the black riders first ride out of the black gate.. So Cool

*Varda*
08-10-2002, 03:48 AM
I liked the whole Aragorn and Arwen bit, I thought it was really sweet.<P>The Galadriel bit was too weird, I have to admit. They over did the green freaky thing and made her sound like a man.<P>I also didn't like the way they'd done Sauron, he just wasn't like I'd imagined. But that's just personal opinion.

randycarrot
08-10-2002, 05:21 AM
I didn't like it how they left out farmer maggot... the whole conspiracy thing. I also didn't like the beginning where they just talked and talked (the party, and when theyre setting off to go) i also don't like that bit in the book, it's a bit tedious...<P>I also want to know why the hell they had big lips woman in the film! She's a terrible actress and in the book she doesn't do anything anyway, it wasn't bloody her who helped Frodo!!!!! I hate Tyler woman!!<p>[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: randycarrot ]

Ravenna
08-10-2002, 10:06 AM
Galadriel turns green! I cringe every time I see that bit! Surely they could have found a better way of portraying her temptation than that.<BR>Can't we leave poor Liv Tyler alone now? I mean I know she shouldn't have replaced Glorfindel, and shouldn't have had such a big part, but I think she played it well. If you have to have a go at someone, why not the film makers who instituted the changes in the first place, and not the actress who, in the end was doing what she was told.

Arathiriel
08-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Let's see: The worst part to me had to be Galadriel's mirror, especially when she does that entire freaky thing when Frodo offers her the Ring!<P>But I admit, I didn't really care for Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Galadriel as she seemed a bit more sinister in the movie and I happened to have liked the character in the books!<P>I think Galadriel is the only character I thought wasn't all that well casted...

ElanorGamgee
08-10-2002, 11:39 AM
The only parts of the movie that I didn't like happened to have the only major female characters so far, Arwen and Galadriel, in them. I really can't stand how Arwen sticks her sword up to Aragorn's throat, then steals Frodo, Glorfindel, Gandalf, and Elrond's parts by rescuing Frodo all by herself and calling up the river to sweep away the Nazgûl. Galadriel, I think, is too cold and distant and really not even that pretty. I'm not trying to be very critical, but Galadriel <I>is</I> supposed to be one of the most beautiful beings in Middle-earth. And the way she speaks to Frodo at the Mirror is just plain creepy and emotionless at first and then frightening when she turns green. One would almost think she was an evil character. I really hope that Éowyn is portrayed well in the next movie compared to the other female roles.

keverzwijn
08-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Well, there were alot of lothlorien scenes that didn't make it to the cinema version of Lotr. In the november extented version there will be alot more scenes in Lorien (and Hobbiton). They'll show how Gimli "falls in love" with Galadriel so she will probably be less creepy in the extented cut.

ArwenBaggins
08-12-2002, 02:09 PM
I didnt like the Gandalf/Sarumon bit, or the erie thing with Galadriel.<P>Dont get me wrong, the Movie Rocked!

Durialion
08-12-2002, 02:16 PM
I agree Aro the Galadriel was too weird.

Davin
08-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Elrond has to be the worst! That guy (I can't remember his real name...so I call him <B>Matrix Guy</B>) is a good actor...but he looked just plain goofy. I thought his face resembled the face of an Oopma Loompa from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. His hair looked bad, and he is too sinister. I thought he was gonna kill Frodo or something....jeesh <P>Galadriel looked a little strange with that green glow thing.....but other than that I didn't really seem to have any problems<P>Barliman kinda made me mad...but only for a second. Now I don't mind him...but at first I did for some strange reason.<P>But other than that..THE MOVIE ROCKED

mark12_30
08-12-2002, 03:19 PM
The movie rocked. But it bugged me that movie-Frodo doesn't really get tough until the banks of the Anduin. Book-Frodo gets tough in the Barrow against the Barrow-Wight, he's tough at Weathertop, and stays tough til he confronts the nazgul at the river ford (alone). Another things that bugs me is, PJ only ever gives movie-Frodo one-liners to say. In the book, Frodo is an elegant, gifted speaker, funny, thoughtful, careful, deep. In the movie, all he gets is phrases. <P>I guess he makes up for it with his eyes and body language-- but if you had put it all together, movie-Frodo would have been formidable.

Child of the 7th Age
08-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Another vigette I didn't care for --the scene in Rivendell when Bilbo becomes bug-eyed monster when he wants to get the Ring. You never have the sense of what actually happened in the book which is that Frodo perceived Bilbo in this way, because the Ring was already exerting a pull on him. <P>Lorien was too dark. That went along with a "creepy" Galadriel. <P>Other hobbit scenes were right on, except for the problem with Frodo's characterization which has already been mentioned.<P>sharon, the 7th age hobbit

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
08-12-2002, 11:22 PM
The worst part, well in my opinion, is when Galadriel does her whole "If I had the One Ring I would be an evil queen...blah blah blah." It was corny and stupid...sad really...

dimostwen
08-12-2002, 11:35 PM
hey hey hey

dimostwen
08-12-2002, 11:40 PM
It was clearly the part when that red/brown haired man was talking after they saw the well powered elf lady. I completely dosed off it was like whatever

the phantom
08-13-2002, 03:08 AM
<B>Child of the 7th Age</B> is right, Lorien was way off! I always imagined it as a refreshing place, where the company found peace and happiness. Instead they played this mysterious oriental sounding music, made everything dark and cold, and made Galadriel freaky! Also, one of my favorite elements of the book was the change that came over Gimli during his stay in the golden wood, but that was left out!<BR>They should've just skipped Lorien! Aaaahhh, I can't stand it!

Eomer of the Rohirrim
08-13-2002, 01:15 PM
I would lay off Lothlorien considering they cut out about half of it.<BR>The worst couple of seconds were 'If you want him, come and claim him!' I mean, what?<BR>I thought Elrond was great.<BR>The other annoying bit for me was Lurtz's voice. He sounded like an alien in a cheap horror film.<BR>But the worst bit in the whole film for me was the whole Weathertop scenario with Aragorn taking on and beating five Ringwraiths. I mean, come on...can anyone say 'exaggerated'?

greyhavener
08-13-2002, 01:17 PM
Child and Phantom, I'm with you on Lorien. I expected a place of refreshing. I expected Galadriel to have a more ministering spirit. In fairness I think the gift-giving scene and making the scene at the pool/portal a portrayal closer to the book would have helped her image. I guess it's always difficult to fully portray an inward struggle in an outward way, but I hated the temptation thing where her eyes popped out...too Disney.

marc hoffman
08-13-2002, 02:54 PM
I didn't like the way Sauraman was credited for the stoping them crossing Caradhras, or that he controlled the crows. It made sense to cut down on some of the characters by the use or Arwen but it did wind me up the way she became all powerful. I also think that giving Aragorn a fully forged sword will lessen the impact of his heritage and the part where they go to Rohan and have to surrender their weapons. As a role player though I found it strange that a ranger would patrol with a broken heirloom

DarkRose
08-13-2002, 05:14 PM
I agree with nearly everything said here..<P>I don't understand why poor Glorfindel is never in the movies? In the animated version of the Fellowship that showed in the 70's or 80's is was Legolas saving Frodo and finding the hobbits and Aragorn. In the 2001 movie it was Arwen. Ug. Poor Glorfie! <BR> <P>I also hated the scene where Galadriel is tempted. She looks like an amateur stuck her on Adobe Photoshop and blobbed her up with various tools. It irked me alot that they did that..<P>I also didn't like how they took out the giving of the gifts at Lorien. Instead, they suddenly spliced in a scene where Galadriel gives Frodo the Light, but I was really looking forward to the other gifts. I know they -had- to have Frodo receving the Light in there, but it took be aback and everyone else I talked to. It was out of place. Choppy.<P>Another thing that was choppy and out of place was Arwen and Aragorn's show of affection, love. Well, for one thing, it was uncomfortable sitting next to my brother watching that scene, lol, but that's not the movie's fault, eh. It was just..I don't know..<P>The super orcs looked funny when they jostled from side to side, running. <P>One big thing that bothered me in the movie - Gimli was hardlt shown killing anything! For the Mines of Moria, when the orcs and troll stampede in, he merely hollers while perched atop the tomb, and then gets knocked off and scuttles around, avoiding death. Later, in other fights with Orcs and the like, they only show him doing some axe-rific action once or twice, while Legolas is practically a killing machine! Not that I mind Legoladdie giving the bad uns' their come-uppance..but I wanted to see Gimli clobbering more orcs! <P>

Duramarthiel
08-13-2002, 05:25 PM
The worst part!! When he puts the ring on. It doesn't say anywhere in the book that it gets all windy and stuff like that. Just that it gets shadowed and everything is sorta darker. It should have been windy when he had been stabbed by the Morgul-blade. Thats how it was supposed to have been...<P>I also think that it was kind of important to include Arwen at SOME point. She was barely mentioned in the books, and when she came in in ROTK as queen? I was like, who the heck is that???? She does play a bit of an important role and it was smart to include her so you wont get all confused.

The Silver-shod Muse
08-14-2002, 12:22 AM
The part where Aragorn throws that flaming torch into the Nazgul's hood on Weathertop is <I>awful</I>. The "Nazgul" keeps looking back and tripping over stuff with the stick poking right out of his un-face. Ugh.<P>Also, and this is a much more subtle thing, the characters were over-simplified and over-condensed. Ex: Merry and Pippin = comic relief; Gandalf and Saruman's control of Caradhras (as if Caradhras didn't have a mind of its own); Arwen, Legolas as elven superhunkboy, Galadriel as lofty and mysterious queen, and the list could go on to include most of the characters, with the exception of Gandalf who was absolutely perfect.

keverzwijn
08-14-2002, 03:49 AM
I think they made Saruman lead Caradhras because they wanted to leave out most of the "neutral" characters. In the book there's neutral good (Bombadil, Woses, Ents) and neutral evil (caradhras, old man willow, watcher of the gates). The watcher of the gates and the ents stay in the movie because they're spectaculare. Bombadil and Old man Willow were left out, Caradhras was laed by Saruman. I don't know what happens to the woses

Ringwraith Number Two
08-14-2002, 05:10 AM
The movie was great but-<BR>1. Sauron...when they first showed him, with the Ring in his hand, golden robes a- flutter. He looked like Julius Caesar with a blender on his head..but thats probably just me. <BR>2. Grrr...Arwen. Glorfindel didn't get any glory at all! Poor old Glorfindel. First the animated version, and now this one. Never gets any luck. <BR>Other than that, I thought the movie was great, though Galadriel seemed to confuse my friends who were watching it for the first time, and hadn't read the books. They all thought she was pure evil. I had to convince them that she wasn't.<p>[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]

Boromir's Lady
08-14-2002, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with the scene with Galadriel. I also felt that her character was too 'sinister' compared to how her character read in the book.

Tel'
08-15-2002, 12:17 AM
I like the movie but I think it has two not very good parts:<BR>1. Saruman fighting with Gandalf .<BR> 2. When Galadriel becomes green. <BR>

Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits
08-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Cut the staircase action scene. Go straight to the Balrog confrontation.<BR>Btw, just want to say, I like the Galadrial explosive number. Good things were going on in that scene.

Thinhyandoiel
08-15-2002, 02:19 AM
My only tiffs with the movie was at Weathertop when Frodo just up and drops his sword. He's supposed to stab the Nazgul in the foot (I think).<P>I don't mind Arwen being there, because I understand the reasons for it. I just didn't like "What grace is given me, let it pass to him, let him be spared" bit. I mean, come on! It just makes Frodo seem way too helpless, and the fact that he was saved by an elven-maiden's wish..PSH!

Enyávië Ellerina
08-15-2002, 06:48 AM
i don't think there is any bad bits at all, i don't particularly like watching the Saruman bits but you couldn't take them out though

Limlaith
08-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Thank you randycarrot!!<P>I cannot say that there is a "scene" which I like the least - I do have small quarrels with some scenes - but I cannot stand Arwen! Oh how her portrayel just irritates me!! I want Glorfindel back!<P>Ok, ok if I had to choose a scene, I would say the scene(s) in Lothlorien. They could have done better with Galadriel. They could have done more with her. And Aragorn is entirely unmoved by Boromir during their conversation, which I found odd. He doesn't react at all.

Manwe Sulimo
08-15-2002, 05:48 PM
In order (worst):<P>1) Sauron's appearance, and ensuing portrayal of the battle of Orodruin, with the removal of Gil-galad.<P>2) Gandalf and Saruman's "fight."<P>3) The Ring says "Elessar" to Aragorn...how do any LotR newbies understand...(or anyone hear)?. I only saw that with the captions on.<P>Favorite scenes:<P>1) The dragon firework<P>2) The Bridge of Khazad-dûm<P>3) The Departure of Boromir<P>I know, I know....this is a "worst part" thread....

Road Dog22
08-15-2002, 06:26 PM
when boromir died

Manwe Sulimo
08-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Because he dies? Because of how he died (or how he is portrayed dying)? Because it was in <I>Fellowship</I>?

Belin
08-16-2002, 03:27 AM
There were several scenes that I disagreed with on some level, or in which I wished for more. However, I can only think of one scene that I didn't want in the movie at all: the wizard battle. Are two beings of incredible spiritual (but rather limited physical) power really going to fight in a way that we can see? Are they going to do it indiscreetly, onscreen? If they do, are they really going to accomplish this by throwing each other across the room? I much prefer the simple mention of it as backstory, at which we can shudder at the thought of the mighty struggle it must have been, and not really know what happened. It seems unlikely that any director could try to show us any such thing in a way that wouldn't seem somehow... well... cheesy.<P>On the other hand, I loved that scene's juxtaposition of the two staves: Gandalf's, gnarled and organic, and Saruman's, geometrical, perfect, and artificial, both in the power of Saruman. That was a very nice touch. <P>--Belin Ibaimendi<p>[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]

Roquen
08-16-2002, 04:42 AM
Well, heres my 2 cents worth. As for Lothlorien, To cold and hard for my liking. It doesn't matter that half the scenes weren't there 'cause they will be back in the Nov DVD. It's just the colouring of the place! All blue and cold! I thought it was supposed to be golden/brownish to indicate the passing of Galadriels realm. Plus the fact that Jackson wanted the films to have a real world quality to them. If you watch early trailers for FotR you'll see Lothlorien without post-production. Much better!

orredyns
08-16-2002, 11:29 AM
Overall, I thought PJ did an incredible job bringing a massive book to the screen and still for the most part maintaining the essence of Tolkien's work. That said though I had 3 real beefs with LOTR. Actually two of them are sort of related. <P>First, there is the whole Lorien thing. That's been well stated by others here so I don't need to belabor the point. <P>Second and somewhat related is it seems to me that the elves come off as pretty arrogant and not overly likeable. Galadriel I was especially disappointed in. Gimli was so moved by their meeting that his whole view of Elves was changed. (Obviously, that combined with his blossoming friendship with Legolas.) Somebody pointed out the missing gift scenes and the one where Gimli askes for but a single strand of her hair is especially poingant. Somehow it's hard to imagine the cold portrayal by Cate Blanchett inspiring that kind of reaction. The other elves too just seemed too arrogant to me. Elrond's disdain for men. Even Haldir as they enter Lorien. I pictured the Elves as a much more noble race, not so petty and arrogant. <P>Third and probably the biggest thing philosophically is the portrayal of Aragorn and his destiny. I have read the books countless times and never noticed a hint that Aragorn was reluctant to assume his destiny as future king of Gondor. Aragorn knew precisely who he was and what his destiny was. It was simply a matter of waiting for the proper time. It does make some sense as portrayed in the movie. Tying Aragorn to Isildur and he fearing that he will fall to the same temptations that Isildur did. Makes some sense, but it just isn't there in the books. And I think Aragorn loses a little of his nobility because of it.<P>I really didn't object to the Arwen stuff. Thought Liv Tyler's performance wasn't exactly Academy Award material, but in general, I understand that they wanted to build the love story part up a little and I can live with that. <P>The were some other minor things that I don't understand why they changed when there really doesn't seem to be any good reason for it. For example, in the movie Gandalf feared going to Moria whereas Aragorn favored it. In the books it is exactly reversed. Why change it? What's the point. <P>All in all though I thought the movie was very well done.

Lothiriel Silmarien
08-16-2002, 11:43 AM
I loved every part of it!! But if I had to pick, then the part that had Arwen in it. All her parts. Bring back Glorfindel!!! But to introduce Arwen to the movie, so in the last movie no one gets confused with who she is, I understand. They could leave that part when she gives him her necklace in. But to add her to TTT also...?? Oh well, can't get started on that!<p>[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Lothiriel Silmarien ]