The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What do you assign to Orthanc? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=13766)

Thinlómien 06-08-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 558520)
I assign WW games to Orthanc. They're so much fun to play and a great chance to get together with your fellow Downers, but they slow the production of RPGs!

Sorry Groin. :D I can sympathise with that assignment...

Volo 06-08-2008 05:18 PM

Eating breakfast at 2AM. Well, that's just a part of it, of course.
Sleeping, sometimes. It does make my family quite annoyed. Few days ago I slept from 8AM to 6PM. Does make one do stupid things when one has too much free time and the philosophy of "why not".

Thinlómien 06-10-2008 05:36 PM

Staying awake very late just to finish a book.

It's awesome to just read on, without paying attention to clocks or any other silly things, finishing books is satisfying, books often "taste" best when consumed in large chunks and the gradually increasing light is just beautiful.

But a habit like this really doesn't make your life easier if a) you have to wake up early (11am ;)) next morning, b) if it makes you get up outrageously late (2.30pm) if you don't have to wake up early, c) you've done it on three subsequent nights and fear it's becoming a habit and c) it is combined with playing a werewolf game the deadline of which is 2am your time.

McCaber 06-10-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 559077)

Seconded, with a vengeance. That's how I've spent my last week instead of sleeping. Now I need to go back to the library.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-10-2008 11:10 PM

This Post Makes Me A Ghost Prince of Cardolan!!!!

Quote:

It's awesome to just read on, without paying attention to clocks or any other silly things, finishing books is satisfying, books often "taste" best when consumed in large chunks and the gradually increasing light is just beautiful.

One of my very bad habits too! :o I guess that it is a good thing that I read so many books, but I read straight on through the night sometimes when I have to wake up at 5:30 the next morning... which is not good for a girl who needs at LEAST 8 hours of sleep to function properly. Just last week I was staying up until 2:30 am reading The Silver Chair and then I decided to resist the temptation to read The Last Battle, I won!:D

Thinlómien 06-11-2008 05:51 PM

Can I second my own assignment? :rolleyes:

Eönwë 06-12-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Fourthčd (looks more old-fashioned and soubds better like that).

Anyway, yeah, I have been known to do that.:eek:

Groin Redbeard 06-12-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

But the feeling you get when you finish the book is so gleeful that it erases all bad stuff. When you finish you close the book with a powerful clap, you take a deep sigh, and then jump into bed and sleep till morning light. :)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-13-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard (Post 559457)
But the feeling you get when you finish the book is so gleeful that it erases all bad stuff. When you finish you close the book with a powerful clap, you take a deep sigh, and then jump into bed and sleep till morning light. :)

Unless you live in Alaska in the summer-time, then morning light happens at 1:00 in the morning! But in the winter would be great! I love staying up late to finish a good book, after you put it down, you can go to sleep in about a minute!

Rune Son of Bjarne 06-14-2008 10:55 AM

I assign Le Mans

I do like this race, but at the same time it is a perfect showcase for Danish sports hystiria that shows whenever we are slightly good at any sport.

I guess it is because that save from Speedway it is the only motor sport we really win anything in (Tom Kristensen being the first to win it 7 times),

Anyways it is really crazy, it is estimated that between 25-30.000 Danes are down there watching it.

Mithalwen 06-16-2008 01:29 PM

I assign seeing one of my best lecturers from University (Prof. Sue Harper) being on a television programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c144x

but not speaking!!!

This woman is brilliant and funny but she was just there with a glass in her hand
.. I can assume that she outshone the presenters. :(

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-16-2008 02:05 PM

I assign Facebook, that lovely crazy site that my parents don't know that I roam...

Brinniel 06-16-2008 05:00 PM

I assign not being able to find a summer job. Normally it'd be assigned straight to Mordor, but it is kind of nice not having to be anywhere or do anything. Though at the same time, I REALLY need the money. Desperately. Plus after over a month of not being the slightest bit productive, my existence is starting to feel rather pathetic. :rolleyes:

Volo 06-16-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 560031)
I assign not being able to find a summer job. Normally it'd be assigned straight to Mordor, but it is kind of nice not having to be anywhere or do anything. Though at the same time, I REALLY need the money. Desperately. Plus after over a month of not being the slightest bit productive, my existence is starting to feel rather pathetic. :rolleyes:

Oh, I'll assign that to the Shire. :p

Thinlómien 06-16-2008 05:33 PM

Brinn - I second you absolutely. So true. :D

Brinniel 06-17-2008 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volo
Oh, I'll assign that to the Shire.

But I can't...not when I owe my parents $2,000 for my England adventures (apparently traveling can get expensive :rolleyes:). It's nice being lazy (especially since the job market is not exactly great right now), but I really do have to get a job for survival (and it doesn't help when your family reminds you everyday that you need to make a better effort...then your credit card bill shows up). Anyways, I've found that having a job is really not that bad (and even sometimes enjoyable) as long as it's a job you like. Once I do get a job, I'm sure I'll be assigning it to Orthanc...

Volo 06-18-2008 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brinniel (Post 560090)
But I can't...not when I owe my parents $2,000 for my England adventures (apparently traveling can get expensive :rolleyes:). It's nice being lazy (especially since the job market is not exactly great right now), but I really do have to get a job for survival (and it doesn't help when your family reminds you everyday that you need to make a better effort...then your credit card bill shows up). Anyways, I've found that having a job is really not that bad (and even sometimes enjoyable) as long as it's a job you like. Once I do get a job, I'm sure I'll be assigning it to Orthanc...

1. Ouch!

2. Interesting way of seeing things.

3. Good luck!

Lhunardawen 06-25-2008 05:13 AM

I assign ruined sleep cycles. While it was fun to stay up until 4 to 5 in the morning, catching up on a week's worth of what I missed online one night and watching Chuck the next, and the stormy weekend was good for sleeping in the afternoon and early evening, the headache it caused was definitely not good. And now I have to bully my body clock into getting back to the normal scheme of things lest I find myself falling asleep in class.

Mithalwen 06-25-2008 02:20 PM

The voicemail settings on my work telephone.

I like the fact that the Accounts manager did the message and since my name )or at least the bit that is used at work is androgynous, anyone who is thrown to be speaking to a woman instead of the owner of the light baritone has clearly not spoken to me before. This is useful.

I dislike the fact that the password is 9999 and on collecting about the 20th message of the day I forgot to hit the voice mail button... now as with most office networks you have to dial 9 to get an outside line..... The Brits at least will see where this is going.... :o

Fortunately the operator accepted it was a mistake .....

Thinlómien 07-08-2008 06:59 PM

Semi-accidentally staying up too late. I always do it, and it's not nice because then the first half of the next day is spent sleeping, but I actually enjoy this and feel probably most creative at night, so no can do... and no, it's not more than 4am here yet, but I'm toying with the idea of writing to some RPG instead of going to sleep...

Groin Redbeard 08-01-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlomien
Semi-accidentally staying up too late. I always do it, and it's not nice because then the first half of the next day is spent sleeping, but I actually enjoy this and feel probably most creative at night, so no can do...

Same here, except I don't regret staying up late. It's so much fun when your brain seems to function to it's uttermost limits. :D

Family reunions! It's so much fun to get together after so long of not seeing everyone, but you always have that one aunt, or uncle, that gets on everyones nerves (especially when you're together in the same house for a week). They always pull some prank that use to get their siblings mad when they were young, and then thing start going downhill from there! :(

Lindale 08-08-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 562060)
Semi-accidentally staying up too late. I always do it, and it's not nice because then the first half of the next day is spent sleeping, but I actually enjoy this and feel probably most creative at night, so no can do... and no, it's not more than 4am here yet, but I'm toying with the idea of writing to some RPG instead of going to sleep...

Same here. I love working at night. Usually during the afternoons I take long naps, which last until eight inthe evening, and from then on until five in the morning I'd be reading or working on a paper. Sometimes, I take my nap in the public transport on the way to the campus, and I miss my stop, which annoys the hell out of me. But then I couldn't sleep in my first class during Tuesdays and Thursdays, lest the professor metamorph into some hideous cross of a Balrog and an Uruk Hai and send me out of the classroom. Then again, nobody could sleep in his class anyway, given his darling disposition...

Another thing: gaia online. My, I think without it I would spend only a quarter of what I normally do in front of the PC--papers and reading online texts included. Damn that Fishing!

And I thought of something else. JRR Tolkien. I just couldn't resist rereading at the wrongest moments, like before exams. Beren and Luthien in particular. T_T

Mithalwen 08-13-2008 02:53 PM

Getting soaked to the skin scampering about 30 yards to your car.

Being a raingoddess has its off days ;)

Eönwë 08-14-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 564510)
Getting soaked to the skin scampering about 30 yards to your car.

Being a raingoddess has its off days ;)

Well I was in Cornwall for the last week and it always rains there (It's August!).

That can go here too.

Nerwen 08-16-2008 10:23 PM

When you take an instant, completely irrational dislike to a new acquaintance... and later it turns out you were right.

Nogrod 08-17-2008 02:52 PM

I will assign to Orthanc the beginning of school after 2˝ months of holidays...

It's great to be on vacation when you do not need to pay heed to the clock or any "civilised rhythm" of the society around you, but in the end it wears you down indeed, and it's nice to meet the students and colleagues after a long while for they are dear to me. But waking up at six o'clock is just impossible after you have woken up at midday the earliest for the last months... :eek: ... even if I can see it will do me good to get myself organised after the lazy summer...

I really love to hate it and hate to love it. :D

Mithalwen 08-26-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 564615)
Well I was in Cornwall for the last week and it always rains there (It's August!).

I would say it didn't when I went there as child but I know it did - one year in particular we drove for about an hour to the nearest leisure centre which was about the only thing under cover. And I remember watching the rain drops trickling down the car windows which were steamed up from hot cornish pasties. But I also remember loving it and I can't wait to go back. So Cornwall can't go to Orthanc.

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-26-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 564891)
I will assign to Orthanc the beginning of school after 2˝ months of holidays...

Ditto. I haven't had a legitimate class since early April, and that was finals week. So really, it's been since March... The idea of sitting still for the duration of my classes is freaking me out a little.

Oddwen 09-12-2008 07:07 PM

I would like to assign a part-time job which involves working very early in the morning.

It's not a fun thing, but hey, getting off in the middle of the afternoon and still having eight or so hours off? It's like I'm doubling my weekend. And the several dead hours which I use to read don't go amiss either.

Plus, it almost seems to reset my internal clock and for a while, I can actually get to sleep.

FeRaL sHaDoW 09-13-2008 06:07 AM

I assign, going to the dentist I know I have to but there is always that dread of going.

Thinlómien 09-13-2008 06:31 AM

I assign reading through a couple of Book threads after not having the time or the enthusiasm to do so before and ending up with having a list of 17 reps I would like to give out while being unable to give any reps at the moment... It's a bit annoying but rather amusing too, and the threads were most interesting. :D

Laurinquë 09-16-2008 12:01 AM

I assign reading the Downs until late at night (like right now) and thinking "Oh well, a night with only three hours of sleep won't kill me!".

I also assign my teapot, it doesn't hold nearly enough tea.

Lindale 09-16-2008 03:16 AM

I assign my violin E string, which has snapped again for the nth time. Quite annoying, because sometimes the store where I get replacement strings don't have them. Oh and my violin recital a couple of weeks ago, where a very lovely mezzo-soprano sang a Kundiman while I played. She was magnificent, but when I looked at the audience I got a bit nervous and paused, but she still sang. Good thing I was able to catch up. :D

Eönwë 09-16-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 567920)
I assign reading the Downs until late at night (like right now) and thinking "Oh well, a night with only three hours of sleep won't kill me!".

Know how you feel! ;) :D

Brinniel 09-16-2008 10:57 PM

The Boston T (or what others would know as the subway). When I first came to Boston, I loved how convenient public transportation is and the T is easy to use. But during my time in Europe, I must've gotten spoiled by some really good public transportation (particularly the Underground)...because while I still love the convenience of the T, there's a few things that annoy me that didn't before:

1) The sound the trains make...it resembles nails on chalkboard and makes you want to tear your ears out. For those who have used the T all their life...I don't know how they haven't gone deaf yet.

2) The inconsistency...one thing I loved about the tube was that I didn't have to wait long for a train. In Boston, I'll sometimes wait a few minutes and other times 25 minutes...there's no set schedule, or at least not one I can see.

Laurinquë 09-17-2008 08:32 PM

I also assign Winter. It's terrible in Alaska. And frost too, killing all my lovely flowers before many have even bloomed. And my poor pumpkin! It will never ripen before the first hard frost.

Boromir88 09-17-2008 08:39 PM

-The 1960's Batman starring Adam West

-Speaking of Batman, the 90's animated TV series

-I can't believe I'm going to admit this one, Tila Tequila. She makes anyone who watches her lose brain cells, but she's always on right when I want to go to bed, and no one knows how addicting that is.

Mithalwen 09-18-2008 06:19 AM

*googles*, Boromir, REALLY!:rolleyes:

But I remember the early Batman with affection (though not from the Sixties !)

Lindale 09-18-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 568157)
-I can't believe I'm going to admit this one, Tila Tequila. She makes anyone who watches her lose brain cells, but she's always on right when I want to go to bed, and no one knows how addicting that is.

My God! Finally I found someone who admitted that. Every male I know has denied such things, when all along I know that they're too embarrassed to admit to such. XD

Feanor of the Peredhil 09-18-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 568157)
-The 1960's Batman starring Adam West

Zowemjee. I spent like an hour last night talking to my father about Caesar Romero's Joker laugh. =Awesome.