The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots What do you assign to Orthanc?

We have Mordor, where we may assign the things we hate. We have the Shire, a veritable repository of the things we love.

But what about the things that we hate to love? Or, more accurately, the things that we know we should hate, but which we secretly (or not so secretly) love?

Should they not be assigned to Orthanc? OK, I was inspired by the "rooting for the bad guys" thread. We know we should disapprove of Saruman. And yet it surely cannot be denied that he is a facinating character. Perhaps the most interesting "baddie" that Tolkien presents us with. Apart from Gollum, perhaps, but the "below Goblintown, the Misty Mountains" is rather too unspecific as a location.

And Saruman had his gulity pleasures too. The Halfling weed, for example.

So, I'll kick us off.

- Cigarettes (obviously)
- Big Brother (the reality show, not the Orwellian creation)
- Reality TV shows in general ...
- George W Bush (I know I should disapprove of him, but I can't help finding something endearing about him )
- Intolerance towards shtoopid people
- Intolerance towards people who dawdle (eg, the "zombie shuffle" in tube stations at rush hour)
- Checking the Barrow-Downs at work
- Playing Werewolf (and making lists pertaining thereto) at work.

OK, that's enough from me for now.

Let's hear those confessions ...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your hometown.

Cartoon shows like "Spongebob Squarepants." (The classics should just be a pleasure and not a guilty one. )

Taking part in too many roleplaying things at once and dividing your attention and then wearing yourself out...and then doing it all over again.

Procrastination.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oooh, great new scope for list-lovers.

CSI--Miami

happy hours at bars

the reports of all those mangy guys who claim to be the father of Anna Nicole's baby daughter
Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Guilty pleasures, eh? What a fun idea, Saucy! I suspect guilty pleasures may tell us more about a person than outright hates/loves do...

*chocolates from Peter's Confiserie (the finest our town has to offer, and known much farther than only locally)
*nacho-flavored tortilla chips
*sudokus (good exercise for the brain, but what a time-waster!)
*lots and lots of fabrics (all eminently practical for new patchwork projects, of course, but I do have a suspicion that I can't possibly live long enough to sew them all into quilts!)

*Georgette Heyer novels used to be in that category for me, but after coming back to reread them, I've realized how excellently written they are and have stopped feeling guilty about them. Perhaps they should go to the Shire - I bet Hobbit ladies would love them!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Meh.

I could fill up the whole thread...but for now...

I assign cars. I do not like 4x4s, these are merely expensive vans unless they are upper crust Land Rovers. No, I like sports cars such as the the Aston Martin Vantage; I like 70s cars like the Ford Cortina seen on Life On Mars (that car is seriously cool), or the purple Capri that my mother had; I love retro cars such as the Anglia; I love hot hatches like Golf Gti Mk I, and I also like chavved up, modded cars as they amuse me. I even had one once, a Ford with a full body kit, spoilers, loud stereo, the lot. Spotty oiks would stop and look at it admiringly. Strange really, as I'm always ranting about lazy people who don't catch the bus to work! I also like Top Gear now it's become some laddy humour programme.

I assign gadgets. Not for me living offline without electricity, oh no. I'm what they call an early adopter because I love my toys. I have to be surgically removed from my Zen M:Vision, and the new Nintendo DS is becoming as addictive. I've had Sky digital for 9 years - 1,000 channels of utter tripe but I love it. I have a sincere addiction to The Sims. Technology is awesome. Except for sat nav, that's naff for an expert map reader.

Tobacco is the nectar of the gods. Except I'm cutting down with a view to cutting it out.

I assign daytime TV. Trisha especially, and Jerry Springer. And all those property shows. Richard & Judy. Paul O'Grady. Countdown.

I assign the following juxtaposition of sentences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
- George W Bush (I know I should disapprove of him, but I can't help finding something endearing about him )
Heh, heheh....

And laughing evilly.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Runescape.

I have asked everyone I know to kidnap me for a year if they see me with World of Warcraft. I have made a vow not to touch that game.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
I assign the following juxtaposition of sentences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM

Heh, heheh....
Hehe, I spotted that seeming inconsistency just after I posted.

Actually, I think that Bush is a lot less stupid than popular opinion would have it. Although there is still an inconsistency here, since seeming stupidity is part of what endears him to me ...

Anyway, this issue is probably veering into areas which are probably best left alone in a Downs discussion. Suffice it to say that, by "shtoopid" people, I meant that everyday, mundane stupidity which we come across in our daily lives.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
The Sun

Irish 'Rebel' Music (Hey it's catchy alright)

Tony Blair (He has done at lot of good stuff you know...)

'California' by Phantom Planet (California, here we come...)

Scottish independence

Lord of the Rings Messageboards
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Jeremy Clarkson. I love TopGear and all its presenters - the Hamster is second only to Jon Stewart in my pantheon of small but perfectly formed adorable men on television and James May may be a terrible fusspot but he is erudite and proves that the harpsichord and the internal combustion engine are not incompatible interests .... but theoretically Jeremy Clarkson represents so many things I hate .. but I think he is brilliant....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll second that one. Why is he so funny?!

Even the residents of Rotherham agreed with what he said about the town!

I assign John Prescott. He's not popular with the press but his Yorkshire "I call a spade a spade" approach always raises a smile in our house, especially when decking egg-toting Welsh farmers with mullets.

In fact, I assign Yorkshire to Orthanc. It cannot possibly go to The Shire or I would be hung for being a traitor. But you've got to admire that inherent sarcasm, cynicism and mean-ness.

*waits for davem to see this and say something sarcastic*

I also assign typos involving the word Shire and the letter t. I'm surprised I've picked up on this regular mistake so far...
Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Pipe

Pessimism. That's a bad habit if any.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #12
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
The Barrow-Downs! Tolkien!

Western society. You know there are a heap of starving children in the world, you know there's global warming, you know there are people who end up in accounting, but you just can't turn off that air-conditioner or stop using a gazillion litres of water a day...
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Toothpaste. Obviously it can't go to Mordor since it has a vital function on a dental hygeine routine ( and yes to a certain American downer who once expressed disbelief on this subject, even English people do have these ), however it seems to be attracted by clothing especially dark clothing and won't sponge out necessitating irritating last minute changes ....

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Guilty pleasures huh? Now let me see...

-Prentending to like high culture and then watching people falling over on Youtube...

-Pulling a sicky and watching daytime TV especially The Jeremy Kyle show- "Scum!! You're scum- GET A JOB!" Hee hee

-Pretending to take the high ground in arguments about not being a fanboy/zealot, then in the same breath becoming said fanboy/zealot...

-KISS

-Dancing to Korn and Limp Bizkit in Corporation when I make out that I only like cool stuff (whilst drinking ludicrously cheap double vodka and red alerts)

-Ludicrously cheap double vodka and red alerts....

Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Egocentrism. "Yes, I am actually arrogant enough to believe that I hate being sick, rodents, administrations, and the NCLB Act more than anybody else in the world."

Starbucks. Yep. I can watch them take over the world. Sure can. But when I'm on my way to a truly crushing class or work first thing in the morning and Jaime's working and I order a hazelnut latte, bring on the corporate stranglehold.

Or how about that hazelnut latte? Zilch nutritional value so it goes against my usual inclinations, but oh it tastes so good.

The smell of toxic fumes. Yes, I'm aware this isn't a good thing. But if it's gasoline, it reminds me of spending a childhood playing hide and seek in a garage and if it's paint or paint-related it means I'm probably painting and if it smells vaguely like vinegar, I'm happily transported to a darkroom somewhere.

Carving out writing time haphazardly. Usually it means I don't get all of my schoolwork done. But when you look at a solid 70+ pages that you adore, who cares if you get a 'B' instead of an 'A'?

And the Justin Timberlake song 'Sexy Back.' Guilty, guilty, guilty.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 03-14-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: I forgot...
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
And the Justin Timberlake song 'Sexy Back.' Guilty, guilty, guilty.

Feanor, I don't think the pope himself could get into heaven if he liked that song
Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #17
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
AMV's (Anime music videos)

Country Music

Sailor Moon

Cheesy Romance Novels (Someone help me.)

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
Cheesy Romance Novels (Someone help me.)
Only if you can keep me and my notebook away from them. I adore the titles. I have a running list of my favorites for use in parody.

I'll assign sushi. I'm supposed to be a vegetarian.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #19
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Cookies, definitely cookies! And coffee too. These comprise my Achilles heel, and I can honestly say it would be easier to pass up a $100 bill lying on the ground than a plateful of cookies with a steaming mug of joe.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #20
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Posting here, playing games, watching stuff, etc. when I should be doing my homework or doing something important...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #21
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Posting here, playing games, watching stuff, etc. when I should be doing my homework or doing something important...
Ooooo!! I'll second that(^)!!

Alchoolic beverages

Siblings (Like I love her, but I hate her all at the same time....)

Hypocricy!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 PM   #22
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Loudly singing along to the radio while driving to work. Especially assigned when I have passengers in the car, though I will stop if they ask me.

It's just so much fun to sing along.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #23
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Agreed with that Celuien!! And of course dancing alone in your room and then people randomly walking in on you.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #24
Salacia Deloresista
Pile O'Bones

Salacia Deloresista has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Salacia Deloresista Send a message via AIM to Salacia Deloresista
For some reason, the Administration Building at school always comes to mind when I think of Orthanc. One never can tell whose side the administraters are on. They tell you they're your friends, then take away four days from Spring Break.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #25
Mansun

I assign politicians to Orthanc (the White House).
Old 03-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #26
Volo

Bus line 79. It never comes on time and when it does, it comes full. But it's the fastest and easiest way to get around.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #27
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy
the Hamster is second only to Jon Stewart in my pantheon of small but perfectly formed adorable men on television
I adore Richard Hammond!

Oops.

Reading back on very old blog posts (mine or anyone else's). Not only is it a waste of time to hunt down deep into blogs to look for posts that for some reason stand out in your memory and make you want to read them again, which inevitably leads to reading all posts you have to go through to get there, but it also leads to blank, wistful, or melancholic moods. Not a good state to be in if you're supposed to be writing a project proposal for Biostatistics.

The Princess Diaries. But oh, how can I resist Mia Thermopolis's rants that so mirror the ones that go through my mind! Just in form, though, definitely not in content. Well, except for those schoolwork-related ones.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #28
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

My first ever failing grade. Not just my first bad grade in college, but my legitimately first ever 'F.'

It's in Orthanc because usually I'm told people feel guilt or shame or other such feelings about nasty marks on their transcripts.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #29
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Well, there's the obvious guilty pleasures- twinkies, soda, and fried foods. But that's not all. There's also....

Figure skating! I looooove figure skating! I tell my buds that I only watch it because the girls are smokin' hot (which they are), but secretly I'm actually interested in the sport itself, which is a big no-no for testosterone filled football loving men like me.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #30
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
-Ben and Jerry's ice cream (way too expensive and way too fattening)

-swear words (yes, Brinn admits she can have a foul mouth...)

-pulling all-nighters for no good reason

-napping during the day

-sleeping til 4pm

-over-the-top films that are ridiculously violent and gory *coughGrindhousecough*

-buying new dvds (I buy on impulse and now own over 100)

-singing, rather loudly, to the radio as I'm driving my car (and I should mention I'm a terrible singer...)

-In junior high and high school, I had this knack for persuading my teachers to play certain movies in class, even if they only had a slight relation to the subject (just ask my French teacher, heheh).

And yes...I know I am a film geek.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #31
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I assign John Prescott. He's not popular with the press but his Yorkshire "I call a spade a spade" approach always raises a smile in our house, especially when decking egg-toting Welsh farmers with mullets.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.
And on the subject of politics, I assign Max Hastings. All good liberals need one token right-winger to approve of, and he's mine. In fact, I find myself so often nodding in agreement with the stuff he writes, it's scary.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #32
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
And on the subject of politics, I assign Max Hastings. All good liberals need one token right-winger to approve of, and he's mine.
PJ O'Rourke is my fave right winger - so funny and my fave lefty is Tony Benn... barking in some respects but you know where you are with him...and at least he is consistent..and sometimes quite right.....

Old 04-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #33
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm assigning the following:
Staying up really late
Sleeping in until 11 AM

These tend to be very much related to each other .

As for the latest discussions, I can't say I have a lot of right-wingers I secretly or openly approve of, probably because most of the right-wingers here in America tend to be seriously misguided at best and downright looney at worst. In fact, I think British conservatives would appear downright liberal if you compared them to somebody like Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #34
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The left-wingers aren't that great either, Menel. *shudders at the thought of Michael Moore*

I assign Art Day at school. On the one hand, clean up is awful, and I come home covered in paint. On the other hand, the kids adore it.

I also assign ignoring chores and spending the whole day doing nothing. A guilty pleasure if there ever was one.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #35
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Redefining deadlines.

I know I'm going to have to write the two papers eventually, it's just that I don't right now.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #36
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I second country music! Especially the stuff from the early 90's, the stuff my parents listened to when I was a kid, the stuff I grew up with. So cheesy, and yet so endearing. I probably drive my roommate up the wall.

Also old pick-up trucks. And Westerns, particularly The Man from Snowy River.

Returning to the 'Downs after a protracted abscence.

Political and single-issue blogs (really!). Nothing like being worked up into a proper idealogical rage.

And, of course, procrastination. Yes, I have exams tomorrow and Friday, as well as a paper, but I don't feel like working right now .
Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #37
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Esty you should try "Dorito's" then, they are the best nacho flavourse tortilia chips around. . . I hate to say it but they beat any of the Danish alternatives.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 AM   #38
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
The left-wingers aren't that great either, Menel. *shudders at the thought of Michael Moore*
Heheh, he's one of my heroes! I assign him to Orthanc for making people feel uncomfortable, but especially for the stunts on TV Nation, Roger And Me and his work on Rage Against The Machine videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
Esty you should try "Dorito's" then, they are the best nacho flavourse tortilia chips around. . . I hate to say it but they beat any of the Danish alternatives.
"Nachos! I need TP..." Which reminds me, I assign Beavis and Butthead to Orthanc - it's years since I saw any, but they were funny! And I assign South Park which I have been overdosing on lately (with heartfelt thanks to Paramount Comedy Channel) - and especially that new episode about World of Warcraft! Oh and the Lord of the Rings episode which I finally saw recently. Butters as Gollum - brilliant!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #39
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign Eurovision song contest.

It's so horrible, poor and grotesque but funny, amusing and entertaining the same time and I'm ashamed to confess that I and my frinds still listen last year's songs from my friend's iPod...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:51 AM   #40
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I and my frinds still listen last year's songs from my friend's iPod...
You can't do that! It's out of fashion!

Well, I'll assign Idols for about the same reasons.