The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Peter Jackson: Why I Quit "The Hobbit". (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17925)

Herald_of_Mandos 04-01-2012 07:51 AM

Peter Jackson: Why I Quit "The Hobbit".

Just wondering if anyone had seen this yet?

www.reelz.com/movie-news

Quote:

In an exclusive interview today, Sir Peter Jackson explained the reasons behind his surprise decision to end all involvement with the production of "The Hobbit".

"I've just had it up to here with these rabid lunatic Tolkien fans. What is wrong with these people? Every blasted thing I do, they say I should have done something else, and because I didn't I raped their grandmothers, or something.

'It's the themed assassination attempts that are the worst. Just this morning someone tried to shoot me with a bow-and-arrow. A black arrow. With a note on the shaft saying I should read the book to find out what it's all about."

The note was in "Cinnamon", one of the famous Elfish languages created by "Professor" JK Tolkien, Jr. Many fans learn Elfish by heart, becoming so absorbed in the fabulous world of Middle Earth that they forget how to speak any other language. According to Jackson, his Elfin experts have been working overtime translating death threats out of Cinnamon and Quango.

The director continued, "Look, I've made every effort to be faithful to the books– er, within reason, that is– but nothing will satisfy this bunch of freaks. Well, that's it. I wash my hands of the whole bloody mess. They can make their own darn movie."

Asked if anything would persuade him to return to the helm of the much-anticipated "Lord of the Rings" prequel,
Sir Peter said that he might consider it if he felt able to realise his inspiring new artistic vision for the series.

"From now on, we'll have none of this 'appease the fans' nonsense. The Eagle-Riders of Rohan will win the battle of the Six Armies. Sauron and Saruman will be the same person, which is a lot less confusing, anyway. Gandalf and Galadriel will turn out to be Aragorn's parents. Or Frodo's. Or Gollum's. Whatever ticks the fanboys off the most. Tauriel can chain Legolas up and whip him until he screams in ecstasy, before going off to fight Smaug in her leather bikini. Oh, and I'll fire the entire cast and hire six-foot-six actors to play Bilbo and the dwarves. Or actresses, even better.

'That'll teach the buggers to complain."

Inziladun 04-01-2012 08:15 AM

Despite today's date being noteworthy, you just know this is how he really feels. ;):D

Galadriel55 04-01-2012 08:31 AM

Haha, I didn't forget to click the image this time! :D Good one!

Last April Fools I took it seriously. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inzil
Despite today's date being noteworthy, you just know this is how he really feels.

Haha, yes! :D

Eruhen 04-01-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 668850)
Despite today's date being noteworthy, you just know this is how he really feels. ;):D

Of course it is. But, he wouldn't get the same widespread promotion of his plots if he didn't drag the name of a famous book through the mud with him.

Mithalwen 04-01-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herald_of_Mandos (Post 668848)
Just wondering if anyone had seen this yet?

www.reelz.com/movie-news

So what will he do now..... get involved with the Festival of the Well Made Play? Set up a film school in Port Clarendon?

Estelyn Telcontar 04-02-2012 04:43 AM

A well-known German LotR movie website posted the news that 'Blind Guardian' would be performing the title song for the Hobbit movie: click on the link to hear "The Bard's Song". I'm sure fans are disappointed that Cirdan (who runs the website and is a fellow member of the German Tolkien Society) chose April 1st for publishing the news...

Herald_of_Mandos 04-02-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 668865)
So what will he do now..... get involved with the Festival of the Well Made Play? Set up a film school in Port Clarendon?

We can only hope!:Merisu:

Although, if Sir Peter were to take part in the Festival of the Well-made Play, I'd be a little concerned that he might get, well, creative with the Cycle. Wouldn't go down well with the Flongs, I can tell you.:(

Kitanna 04-02-2012 01:00 PM

I almost believe this until
Quote:

they say I should have done something else, and because I didn't I raped their grandmothers, or something.
Then I envisioned rabid fans stalking Jackson with makeshift bows and arrows. Completely brightened my day.

Inziladun 04-02-2012 01:19 PM

I only wish he had been quoted as saying "I ate their grandmothers." The mere thought has me chortling. :D

Galadriel55 04-02-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 668895)
I only wish he had been quoted as saying "I ate their grandmothers." The mere thought has me chortling.

I filmed their grandmothers. :eek::rolleyes::D

Eruhen 04-04-2012 06:33 PM

Personally, I prefer torches and pitchforks over makeshift bows and arrows. Must be the traditionalist in me.

Mithalwen 04-05-2012 11:09 AM

He may no longer have the figure that would befit the mayor of the Shire he had durin the filming of the LOTR but I bet Peter Jackson still weighs more than a duck. Burrrrrrrrrrrn him!!!

TheMisfortuneTeller 04-12-2012 07:11 PM

Exploiting Controversy

"Controversy equalizes wise men and fools alike -- and the fools know it!" -- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes