The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Herald_of_Mandos
Pile O'Bones

Herald_of_Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Peter Jackson: Why I Quit "The Hobbit".

Just wondering if anyone had seen this yet?

www.reelz.com/movie-news

Quote:
In an exclusive interview today, Sir Peter Jackson explained the reasons behind his surprise decision to end all involvement with the production of "The Hobbit".

"I've just had it up to here with these rabid lunatic Tolkien fans. What is wrong with these people? Every blasted thing I do, they say I should have done something else, and because I didn't I raped their grandmothers, or something.

'It's the themed assassination attempts that are the worst. Just this morning someone tried to shoot me with a bow-and-arrow. A black arrow. With a note on the shaft saying I should read the book to find out what it's all about."

The note was in "Cinnamon", one of the famous Elfish languages created by "Professor" JK Tolkien, Jr. Many fans learn Elfish by heart, becoming so absorbed in the fabulous world of Middle Earth that they forget how to speak any other language. According to Jackson, his Elfin experts have been working overtime translating death threats out of Cinnamon and Quango.

The director continued, "Look, I've made every effort to be faithful to the books– er, within reason, that is– but nothing will satisfy this bunch of freaks. Well, that's it. I wash my hands of the whole bloody mess. They can make their own darn movie."

Asked if anything would persuade him to return to the helm of the much-anticipated "Lord of the Rings" prequel,
Sir Peter said that he might consider it if he felt able to realise his inspiring new artistic vision for the series.

"From now on, we'll have none of this 'appease the fans' nonsense. The Eagle-Riders of Rohan will win the battle of the Six Armies. Sauron and Saruman will be the same person, which is a lot less confusing, anyway. Gandalf and Galadriel will turn out to be Aragorn's parents. Or Frodo's. Or Gollum's. Whatever ticks the fanboys off the most. Tauriel can chain Legolas up and whip him until he screams in ecstasy, before going off to fight Smaug in her leather bikini. Oh, and I'll fire the entire cast and hire six-foot-six actors to play Bilbo and the dwarves. Or actresses, even better.

'That'll teach the buggers to complain."

Last edited by Herald_of_Mandos; 04-01-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: fixed link
Herald_of_Mandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Despite today's date being noteworthy, you just know this is how he really feels.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Haha, I didn't forget to click the image this time! Good one!

Last April Fools I took it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
Despite today's date being noteworthy, you just know this is how he really feels.
Haha, yes!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Of course it is. But, he wouldn't get the same widespread promotion of his plots if he didn't drag the name of a famous book through the mud with him.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald_of_Mandos View Post
Just wondering if anyone had seen this yet?

www.reelz.com/movie-news
So what will he do now..... get involved with the Festival of the Well Made Play? Set up a film school in Port Clarendon?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
A well-known German LotR movie website posted the news that 'Blind Guardian' would be performing the title song for the Hobbit movie: click on the link to hear "The Bard's Song". I'm sure fans are disappointed that Cirdan (who runs the website and is a fellow member of the German Tolkien Society) chose April 1st for publishing the news...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Herald_of_Mandos
Pile O'Bones

Herald_of_Mandos has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
So what will he do now..... get involved with the Festival of the Well Made Play? Set up a film school in Port Clarendon?
We can only hope!

Although, if Sir Peter were to take part in the Festival of the Well-made Play, I'd be a little concerned that he might get, well, creative with the Cycle. Wouldn't go down well with the Flongs, I can tell you.
Herald_of_Mandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I almost believe this until
Quote:
they say I should have done something else, and because I didn't I raped their grandmothers, or something.
Then I envisioned rabid fans stalking Jackson with makeshift bows and arrows. Completely brightened my day.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I only wish he had been quoted as saying "I ate their grandmothers." The mere thought has me chortling.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I only wish he had been quoted as saying "I ate their grandmothers." The mere thought has me chortling.
I filmed their grandmothers.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Personally, I prefer torches and pitchforks over makeshift bows and arrows. Must be the traditionalist in me.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
He may no longer have the figure that would befit the mayor of the Shire he had durin the filming of the LOTR but I bet Peter Jackson still weighs more than a duck. Burrrrrrrrrrrn him!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
TheMisfortuneTeller
Haunting Spirit

TheMisfortuneTeller has just left Hobbiton.
Exploiting Controversy

"Controversy equalizes wise men and fools alike -- and the fools know it!" -- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes