View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 10:38 PM   #28
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
Sam had no real ambition.All the other people of were tempted by the Ring did. Maybe the Ring brings out natural ambition and expolts it.
What do you mean by natural ambition? Please explain because I don't think I understand what you mean. Sam did have Rosie as an ambition, as Lush pointed out. But, do you mean that Sam's desire to be great and powerful and famous was a natural desire? I think that's what you mean, but I'm not positive. I really don't see that as natural ambition because not everyone wants to be great, powerful, or famous. And it might be different with Sam since he is a Hobbit. I think that Sam might have wanted to be great and powerful and famous for a long time, but he just never showed it. The ring brought that desire out and amplified it. And if you think about it, it could relate back to the desire for Rosie. Often times, people think that they can get the lover of their dreams if they are any one of the three (powerful/great/famous). So maybe Sam wanted to use the ring to be noticed by Rosie. Sorry if I misunderstand you Arvedui III, please explain if I did.

Quote:
With regards to the the Ring though, why is then that only two characters actually made an attempt to take the Ring? Boromir and Smeagol.
Because they were the only ones who really wanted it and had to take it by force.

Quote:
What is it that sets these two apart?
Well, they are different races. Boromir was a man, while Smeagol was supposedly a hobbit. Smeagol was uninformed of the ring and the risks and dangers of it. The ring took full advantage of him. And Boromir, he had pride. He wanted to defend his country. He might also be spoiled since he is royalty, sort of. So, he might think that whatever he doesn't get, he takes. But that one's really far-fetched as there really are no indications of it and Boromir without the influence of the ring is honest and truthful and noble. But I really think that it was because Boromir was ignorant. He refused to take others advice about the ring. You may speak of it as men being weak, I just say ignorant. The ring played on Boromir's ignorance and desire. And the ring took advantage of him that way.

Quote:
The Ring embodies evil. Evil is a verb, more than a passive concept--it requires an object to exist, a host, in fact, since it must feed. And it feeds best on fear. However many ways our choices can be swayed away from God/Love is how it begins to work. Those who are corrupted and never answer the call to choose again are obsessed with the products of fear--defending, controlling, attacking, protecting--all centered upon the Ring.
Sorry, but evil is an adjetive, not a verb. I really don't think that the fear aspect of the ring makes sense. They are not afraid of the ring. I think it is more-so greed than fear. And all those products of fear are products of greed. Yes, it could be the fear of losing their 'precious', but that is really greed. Fear doesn't cause someone to desire the ring or make an attempt to take it. Greed does that. Greed keeps someone from giving it up. Fear is more of a feeling one gets from possessing the ring. Greed is the thing that keeps the person defending it, trying to control it (no one but Sauron can really control the ring), attacking other who pose a potential danger them losing the ring, and protecting it.

-Willie