View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 01:48 AM   #38
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Iarwain- Eomer, Theoden, Eowyn, Treebeard, and Saruman and many others do play parts in Frodo going to Mordor (actually Aragorn does play a larger part since he brought them to Rivendell, you see what I mean). They all provide a distraction so while Sauron is busy looking towards Gondor, he does not notice the pitter patter of four hobbit feet and a flap of two. But Tom does play a part also, he saves Frodo, once, and possibly twice. If old Tom were never there, the quest would never have started in the first place<P>I do not think that tom should be in the movies. I would like him to, believe me. But it works when you leave him out. I shudder to think how they would have butchered him if he was in the movie. And besides, Tom is my favorite part in the book. It might alter my view and ruin it if it was portrayed a certain way in the movies. It wasn't in the Bakshi film, which actually introduced me to Tolkien. It was the only part in FotR that I read unaffected by any other influence, because there were no influences. So I'm kind of grateful that Tom isn't in the movies. But I do think that if Arwen got to be in the film and have that modified part, I think Tom deserved his part.<P>Thulorongil: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> because of Pip's sword. If I recall correctly, Pippin's sword (taken from the Downs) once belonged to a Gondorian soldier (or something like that) and was a factor in Denethor being intrigued by the hobbit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And merry's sword too, with the Witch King. They probably are going to use the one Merry got from Galadriel though, as HC pointed out. And Galadriel did say the daggers had seen battle before so maybe we'll have that history of it told in RotK.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote