View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 01:18 AM   #20
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

The Saucepan Man:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It would have been confusing to (non-Tolkeinite) audiences to have Glorfindel appear just for this sequence. In fact, sticking totally to the book, he would not even have ridden with Frodo to the Ford, but merely turned up and provided the use of his horse, giving him an even smaller (and therefore less justifiable in film terms) role. And there was really no opportunity to develop his character elsewhere in FotR or in TTT. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Glorfindel could have been at the Council of Elrond, as he was in the book (did they have him there in the movie? or did Arwen take his place there to? ). But all they had to say was something like, "And here is Glorfindel, the great elf whom you already met. it was his horse that bore you here to safety, Frodo." And yes, Legolas took his place in Bakshi's film, but at least we were going to see a lot more of him later on. Yes, you're right, it would have worked.<P>But mainly what I did not like about her there was that it took away from w=my view of Middle-earth. Luinalatawen put it well: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> very un-Tolkienesque. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It just wasn't something that Tolkien would have written. If he was going to make Arwen's role bigger, I don't think that's anywhere near how Tolkien would have done it. It is so un-Tolkienesque, but it doesn't stop at the dream, I think that it applies to the part where Arwen first appears, and then the horse riding scene, and also when they got past the ford.<P>I think that if they wanted to have a strong female character, they should focus a lot on Eowyn. They can do that in TTT and especially in RotK. But in FotR, they could have given a brief history of Glaladriel. I think that would have sufficed. But what's done is done, adn sadly we cannot do anything about it. I just hope that in RotK, they don't screw up.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote