Thread: Paper Topic?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Well, it looks like I'll be writing on the importance of the 3 Elven Rings to the story of LotR. This topic might be a little tricky because there isn't much explicit information given regarding the Three, but I think there are enough clues and hints for me to work up a doable outline.

There is a line in The Council of Elrond: "Those who made them did not desire strength or domination, but understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained." I think this is the key to understanding the Elven Rings - both how they work and their role in the story. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.
Impressive indeed. Perhaps you could keep us briefly informed, too? And of course, you can consult.

I pretty much envy you (of course, like probably many of us do ) to write on such topic anyway.

If I may suggest (if you wish me to, of course), I think you are right about the line - last year, I was actually also writing a paper on ethics where I discussed LotR and the problem of power, now it seems this concerns your topic as well - going around the quote you pointed out, that the Elven Rings, of all, were not supposed to dominate, but to preserve, and now you can link that perhaps to the overall decay of Arda (preservation, the "Long Defeat", whatever). Also, I'd perhaps think it worth considering to think of the scene(s) in Lórien - mainly what Galadriel says, including the fact that the Dark Lord suspects where the Ring is, but does not know - and the light sees into the heart of the darkness, but itself it remains hidden (cf. Frodo on Cerin Amroth). Well, just general ideas, perhaps it will spark some thoughts in your mind (unless you have already thought of that yourself, of course ).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote