View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Generally speaking, neither the Dwarves of The Book of Lost Tales, nor 'Tinwelint' (Thingol) remained the same in much later conceptions, yet that said, I think we can safely say Gimli thought Galadriel very fair in any case, implying that Dwarves (or at least some) could find Elves beautiful.
In the canon works, I find Gimli's infatuation with Galadriel to be very singular. I think it's noteworthy that he alone in the history of the Dwarves (as far as we are told) is allowed to go to the Undying Lands, and it's intimated that it was his love for Galadriel that accomplished that. That love, moreover, seems to have had as much to do with her speaking Khuzdul names in Gimli's hearing as much as her physical beauty.

We don't see the Dwarves of Nogrod and Belegost falling for Melain. And even 'Lúthien returned' (aka Arwen) couldn't elicit in Gimli the reaction he had to Galadriel.