View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #58
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe Cross posting this on FaceBook, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I don't think so. If we have a huge cottage for only a couple of people (while everyone else has either already left or attends the seminar), it's going to be freakish expensive. Personally I think hiring one for weeks 1-2 (or then just until the 16th) would be best. After all we can go to another Downer's/hostel/hotel afterwards: not everyone has to stay in the same place all the time!

I say yes to cottage hire but no to three weeks of it.
You're probably right here. But we need to sort this out ASAP.
Given how expensive the cottage hire is likely to be, and given the fact that I own a very, VERY large tent, I would propose that the third week be either, as Aganzir says, split up and go to another Downer's/hostel/hotel or some sort of camping trip. Those don't have to be booked so far in advance, I don't think.

With regards to the cottage thing, I've been doing some sniffing around the old internets and have come up with a few options.

I think Lalwende made a good point about Loughborough not being terribly easy to get to, especially for those coming by plane. So I'm expanding the search, given that weeks 1 and 2 don't require Loughborough proximity, really. We also want to be doing fun stuff and want somewhere it's easy to do that from.
So, here's what I've found...

Chimney Farm Barns - Oxfordshire

Pros
It's in Oxfordshire (near the actual Buckland, so that's fun) and looks fairly neat. Oxford is fairly accessible from London and from the North, so hopefully this will mean weather you're landing in Heathrow or Manchester or some more exotic place, it should be get-to-able

Cons
It's still a tad out of the way and will probably require the drivers among us to pick people up from Oxford train station. Also, it's expensive.

PRICE = £1,555 per week

Lydon Barn Lodges - Lancashire

Pros
I have actually seen this place on my travels and it's fairly large, if memory serves. It's in Lancashire - hurray for me - and is very close to a train station. We can get around pretty easily from it and there's stuff to do in Lancashire... Not as much as Yorkshire, as I'm sure Lalwende is about to point out, but Yorkshire can be gotten to from here with only a few changes by rail or a couple of hours by car.

Cons
A tad expensive and it'll be a bit of a squeeze if we get the kinds of numbers I'm hoping for. It'll be no more awkward than the tightest it got at Finland, I don't think, but bring sleeping bags and stuff, anticipating some sort of crazy arrangements.

PRICE = £1,650 per week

Town Cottage - Yorkshire

Pros.
It's in Yorkshire, north of Bradford, and is very easy to get to from the train station. Same implications as the ones above. Being in Yorkshire means there are a fair few tourist things we can do. Also, it's very cheap.

Cons.
It's supposed to be for 6 people, so it'll be a squeeze for all of us to get in. More so than the others.

PRICE = £860 for two weeks

The Wheelhouse - Yorkshire Moors

Pros.
Anothe one in Yorkshire. More space, nice scenery, close to the coast for those of you who like the coast.

Cons.
More inaccessible than some of the others. Will require a bit more travel for most people.

PRICE = £1,389 (for two weeks)

Birchwood House - Peak District

Pros
Middle of England, so we can get to it and from it to anywhere without too much hassle. Plenty of space, plenty to do near by, shops and pubs not too far away. It's also very near to Alton Towers theme park, if we fancy that - it's very child friendly, I seem to recall, and what's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes?

Cons
Still not within walking distance of a train station, but it's manageable. The trains themselves aren't a single trip to London or anything, so it may be a bit of an upheaval for those coming from Heathrow or the South. It's fairly expensive, as well.

PRICE = £3,880 for two weeks

Lawns House Farm - York

Pros
Another Yorkshire one, I'm afraid. But Yorkshire IS bigger than the entire world, so...
It's very close to York, so, accessible to all the things. Lots of space, lots of stuff near by - shops pubs etc.

Cons
Pricey and a bit further away from the city than I'd like. But it seems good otherwise, to me anyway.

PRICE = £2,010 for two weeks

Crooks Cottage - Derbyshire

Pros
Central, accessible, roomy etc. I think it's the usual stuff.

Cons.
Again, will need some organisation to pick up and drop off at train stations.

PRICE = £1,726

Right, now my eyes are hurting.
Those were the ones that caught my eye, anyway. We really need to make a decision on this fairly soon. I'd be happier if we decided before the end of the year and could get it as sorted as possible. At the moment, I am leaning towards Lydon Barn, but I may be biased.
What would be the best way to decide on where to go, guys?

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote