The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #1761
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
So this means you got it then, Hookbill?
It does indeed. Thanks!

Right, now Oddwen's little epic finishes off in style! Goodbye squishy!

It's been stored in the Comic Archive.

Fun times are ahead, I assure you. With volume three on the horizon, who knows what adventures await our heroes?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #1762
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Haha, hey, Oddster, that was quite good! I liked the "My stömách" referrence
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #1763
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Haha, hey, Oddster, that was quite good! I liked the "My stömách" referrence
Me too! Good ol' Puts Accents Over every Vowel Man!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #1764
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

A tad late, I'm afraid. I've only just got back from Scotland.

Is this the final Downer? Maybe. I haven't decided yet. Whatever happens, I'm taking a break. If you still have stories to send me, please do so. I will try and put together one or two papers before I go back to the regular updates. In any case, don't expect more than a couple in the next, say, month.
I may post up the odd 'Barrow' tabloid or 'Ye Downer' if I feel up to it. But at the moment I feel very creatively drained and want to focus my efforts on P&A 3 and my own novel.
I thank you all for supporting The Downer and I hope the following is strong enough to endure a little break. Perhaps it will even become a good paper, as opposed to something thrown together in the last hour...

Now, back to Phailain!! It's time for another guest comic. This time from TheGreatElvenWarrior. A life-long P&A fan. I think. So, many thanks and buckets of cheese to you.

Check it out in the Comic Archive

Aganzir, how is yours coming along? I'd like to get Volume Three started soon. The Prologue is already up on the archive website, but I may post it here for comments on Friday. In any case, the official start of Volume Three will be next Monday.

Volume 3, episode one: Peter Hampton.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #1765
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh, that really sounds sad and gloomy. But at least P&A will be here with us... hey, and TGEW, I actually liked your Alien! He looks quite good!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #1766
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
EDITORIAL REPLY

To the Editorial Staff:

I must take exception to the notion that the Barrow Downs is to be airlifted off the face of Arda with the intention that it shall be tossed 'into the void'. What did the void ever do to deserve such a transgression? The whole point of having a void is that it remains empty -- void meaning, of course, 'vacant'.

From an ethical standpoint, tossing something as toxic as the Barrow Downs into a perfectly pristine void presents an environmental nightmare. Perhaps, if this dubious venture is an eventuality, the large population of wights and the corpses they inhabit could be disinterred from their barrows, and buried in some place suitable for dead things. Like in Lobelia Sackville-Baggins' undergarments, for instance.

Thank you for your timely cooperation in this matter,
Lacuna Holloway
Barren Gulf, Miss.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #1767
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
*should probably start planning it soon*
Any chance we could see this soon?

For now, the phantom and skip spence continue to take us through the weird world of spourterz!!!

Just to remind you all...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN VOLUME 3 OFFICIALLY BEGINS ON MONDAY THE 1st OF JUNE!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #1768
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Any chance we could see this soon?
On the 30th of May?

Sorry, I've been both busy and lazy (how typical).

But really, you'll get it!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #1769
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Gandalf Uncloaks
New Offensive
Strategy
I'm sure I speak for most people when I say that I didn't see the second two lines until afterwards.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #1770
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Hookbill, I admire your noble efforts to give us a newspaper every week. It never ceases to cheer me up when I feel depressed.
I will send you articles!
Quote:
hey, and TGEW, I actually liked your Alien! He looks quite good!
Hooray! I have completed my goal in life! (Not really, no) But, thank you, I worked long and hard to make my Phantom and Alien look like... well, Phantom and Alien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
EDITORIAL REPLY

To the Editorial Staff:

I must take exception to the notion that the Barrow Downs is to be airlifted off the face of Arda with the intention that it shall be tossed 'into the void'. What did the void ever do to deserve such a transgression? The whole point of having a void is that it remains empty -- void meaning, of course, 'vacant'.

From an ethical standpoint, tossing something as toxic as the Barrow Downs into a perfectly pristine void presents an environmental nightmare. Perhaps, if this dubious venture is an eventuality, the large population of wights and the corpses they inhabit could be disinterred from their barrows, and buried in some place suitable for dead things. Like in Lobelia Sackville-Baggins' undergarments, for instance.

Thank you for your timely cooperation in this matter,
Lacuna Holloway
Barren Gulf, Miss.
The void is not 'clean', do you remember all those Cybermen and Daleks that got thrust in there?

... Oh, nevermind!

EDIT: The fact that Hookbill really does not like doing this 'Sport Paper' thing makes it even more funny, because he is so not enthused about it! You can tell just by looking at the top!

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 05-27-2009 at 10:48 AM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #1771
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Hooray! I have completed my goal in life! (Not really, no) But, thank you, I worked long and hard to make my Phantom and Alien look like... well, Phantom and Alien.
Well, the main point is that you gave him also a bit of a personalized look, kind of look you made on your own, so he's not just a copy. I like that one.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #1772
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Right, I'm posting this now because I can't wait any longer!!

The prologue to The Legend of the Golden Bus Ticket!!

New adventures for The Phantom and Alien to get their teeth into. You may have already seen it on the website, but please comment about it here...

It's a whole new format. A new artist and a new setting. But, the same old writer and the same old style of humour. Hope you don't get bored with it...

THAT'S RIGHT, EVERYONE!! VOLUME THREE IS... A PREQUEL!!!

So, you'll have to wait until Volume 4 to find out what happened to Alien, I'm afraid. But there will be clues in this volume.
What to expect in the next year-or-so...

- Action
- Explosions
- Sick
- John Fillis
- Formy!!
- Bus Drivers
- Alien's Mother!
- John Fillis!
- Alien's Father!
- BABY ALIEN
- Death!
- JOHN FILLIS!

And much more.

Follow the story in the comic archive, as usual.

Will there be a legend involving a bus ticket, golden or otherwise? Probably not...

It's going to be a big ride, folks.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #1773
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Ooooh!

Excellent first installment, Master Hookbill. Looking very much forward to seeing more. Death as the narrator is awesome.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #1774
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I really cannot believe The Downer is being discontinued temporarily or otherwise! It is by far my favourite thread and one that will be sorely missed by all Downers. This is the first bad news that you have ever published!

However, I do understand your reasons. I could have never put together ONE Downer, let alone 150. I admire your perseverance and constant hilarity, The Downer has provided distraction material for many a study hall and homework session, diversions for which I am eternally grateful.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #1775
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I really cannot believe The Downer is being discontinued temporarily or otherwise! It is by far my favourite thread and one that will be sorely missed by all Downers. This is the first bad news that you have ever published!

However, I do understand your reasons. I could have never put together ONE Downer, let alone 150. I admire your perseverance and constant hilarity, The Downer has provided distraction material for many a study hall and homework session, diversions for which I am eternally grateful.
Don't worry yourself over much. For the next few weeks I'll be doing other Newspapers! That's right, The Barrow is making an unexpected and unwanted return. Followed by several other newspaper parodies, from the broadsheet to the crayon drawings of a three year old.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 AM   #1776
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Did I mention that I liked the prologue?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #1777
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Did I mention that I liked the prologue?
I wonder why...

So what do you all think of The Phantom's look? You'll never guess what picture he's based on.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #1778
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:

So what do you all think of The Phantom's look? You'll never guess what picture he's based on.
I have to say that I love it. Quite wonderful indeed.

I'm very much looking forward to a baby Alien, I'm sure he'll be absolutely adorable! <3
Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #1779
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:

I think he looks a bit like you hooky

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #1780
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I think this Phantom version looks like a cross between Doctor Who and Harry Potter...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #1781
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Before you get too excited, here is Aganzir's quite excellent guest comic! Golly gosh! I'm in awe of the effort!

It's been stored in the ARCHIVE.

Thanks a bundle to all you who made special comics for me. It's always nice to see how you each interpret the characters. They all seem to have one thing in common; Alien is destructive. But, that's how the comic works anyway, isn't it.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #1782
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
aww Alien is so cute!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #1783
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #842

Wow. Good work Aganzir and Hookbill! I loved both of the comics.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #1784
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Aganzir inspired me to make some little icons.

Gardening Alien:

Peter Hampton is pleased

Now he's not so impressed.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #1785
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Haha thanks everybody.

And aww Hookbill those small icons are cute! Phantom could take one of those for his avatar.

Anyway I want to say I like their new looks... although Alien's a bit less. He looks better with fangs than with rabbit teeth. And I absolutely love Legate, that looks so much like him! The face, the expressions! He even speaks like Legate!
Old 05-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #1786
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Anyway I want to say I like their new looks... although Alien's a bit less. He looks better with fangs than with rabbit teeth.
He IS supposed to be younger. It was the best way we could think to represent him as being more juvenile. BUCKED TEETH.... Tooth... Whatever...

Eventually, the origins of THE CLOAK will be disclosed. But for a long while, you'll have to get used to Peter Hampton and his tuxedo - purple flairs combo.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #1787
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Holy...I would not even be able to trace that well, nice drawing and cartoon Agan.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #1788
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post

First of all, I quite agree. It saddens me that the Downer is being discontinued. Secondly, I agree with your second statement as well. Many a study hall has been wasted because of the inevitable hilarity. And homework not being done...

Anyway, I rather like this Peter Hampton bloke, where can I get one?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #1789
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Not only uninformative, but also unpunctual...?

The Barrow is the Downs' premier tabloid newspaper. Providing you with shock stories, celebrity 'gossip' and pointless prises. Enjoy this for the next three weeks, why don't you?

And now... THE ADVENTURE REALLY BEGINS!
Episode one of the new volume of The Phantom and Alien. Let's meet this Peter Hampton and find out just haw awesome he thinks he is...

It will, as usual, be stored at the old Comic Archive.

So, let speculation fly!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #1790
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Yes. I love the ending to that! "...another blasted.... bus driver."
Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #1791
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, just to get you all excited about Volume Three, I made a quick little trailer for you. I'm still pretty new to video editing, so it's not great. But it does it's job... sort of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blTWCMq-uuI

I hope you liked John Fillis' cameo.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #1792
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hool, cookbill! Or... hook, coolbill? ...whichever way it should be...
We is looking forward to upcoming P&A...

Just, concerning this horrible "The Barrow", makes me a bit sad we lost our reliable "The Downer", it is obvious that "The Barrow" is really a far worse sort of newspaper. If you can call it news. If you can call it paper.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #1793
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Just, concerning this horrible "The Barrow", makes me a bit sad we lost our reliable "The Downer", it is obvious that "The Barrow" is really a far worse sort of newspaper. If you can call it news. If you can call it paper.
I was tempted to use the usual tabloid response of "but so many people read it", then I remembered that it's not exactly true in this case.

Glad you liked the trailer. I don't think it gives too much away about future episodes...
Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #1794
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Loving the new P&A

Quote:
If you can call it paper.
Who says its printed on paper? I always thought it was "Printed on the finest fell beast skin since 1876".

I also laughed the phrase "ruthlessly taking food in exchange for currency". Great work, Hooky!

Last edited by Eönwë; 06-03-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #1795
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #589

Wow...that trailer was pretty epic. Especially the soundtrack. And the "stuff."
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #1796
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Nice trailer, Hookbill! I couldn't have done something that good with any program. It made me giggle, and my brother was not even there to see it.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #1797
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The phantom and Skippy are still forcing sports on you.

And now we turn to everyone's favourite green-slime creature! Oh, and introducing his accomplice for most of this volume, FORMY!!

You can go back to the Archive and see what's going on!

I'll update the characters page at some point...
Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #1798
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up !!!

Wowwww!!! Fantastic!!! Are we going to uncover something of Alien's past? SO COOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, yes, okay, there is some Form as well. Interesting

Old 06-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #1799
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Wowwww!!! Fantastic!!! Are we going to uncover something of Alien's past? SO COOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, that's mostly the whole point of this volume. To see The Phantom and Alien's back story.
But remember, things are not always what they seem. Formy ISN'T out of waffles.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #1800
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Yes, that's mostly the whole point of this volume. To see The Phantom and Alien's back story.
But remember, things are not always what they seem. Formy ISN'T out of waffles.
*Jaw drops, starts shaking uncontrollably!*
YES, YES, YES!!!!