View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Downs is different to any other forum I have ever been to. The community is very accepting of everyone, but knows a troll when it sees one. It was the first place I ever felt accepted or that people might actually laugh at my incredibly stupid jokes.

Tolkien's works are dealt with seriously, but not in an overly weird cult sort of way. Despite the massive brain power of our more academic members, one never feels out of place asking a question that sometimes feels silly.

I know my posting rate has gone down recently. I blame that on University and other work, by the way. But I do feel that this community is incredibly understanding. The people are friendly, intelligent and spread across many social and political dynamics. These 'dividing factors' don't matter here, because we are into something bigger than politics, bigger than national conflicts and grudges. We're here for TOLKIEN!

Let me give an example of why I love the Downs. Let's take a subject... urm... the Lord of the Rings films...

Generic other forum conversation:

Quote:
"LORT IS GR8! I <3 Legols and the horses!"
"ITS GAY!"
"NO ITS NOT!!"
"YOUR MUM IS GAY!"
and so on.

On the Downs... we have a whole sub-forum dedicated to serious discussion. I'd planned on quoting a bit but then thought better of it.

So, yeah. The Downs should be knighted.