View Single Post
Old 03-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #43
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
gives an extra dimension to the story, so that even though the quest is encompassing, it is not ALL-encompassing
That is one thing that keeps me interested and allows me to reread LotR over and over and over again without getting sick of it. And everytime I reread it, it seems I learn something new or my view on a topic changes.

Quote:
I want the story (like the road) to "go ever on and on".
It does go ever on and on, but where the book stops, our imagination, our mind, picks up. Only each version after the book is bound to be different, and there is no right or wrong since the one person with the right story no longer exists. But isn't that onw of the points of books? To leave the reader with wonder and curiosity? If a book or a story can do that, without leaving you with too much ponder at, then I view it as a great story or book. Has anyone ever read The Lady or the Tiger? There is one classic example. That aspect of a story that is unanswered or unexplained can drive some people nuts and extremly annoy them, however, it makes me feel curious and full of wonder. And even then, your imagination is not enough. So we go back to the books. We read them over and over and over again. It satisfies our hunger for curiosity. And our reading of the books can be a scrutiny to find that answer or explanation...

Well, you get the picture, sorry for rambling.

-Willie