View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

To exonerate Melkor is... well... doesnt it sort of defeat the point? Tolkien called him the 'Dark Lord', 'Black Enemy', 'The Constrainer' and other such 'not particularly nice' terms. He's quite obviously the 'bad guy'.

To use his 'charismatic skills' in being able to subdue his servants is not a great argument. It is commonly known that people like Hitler, Genghis Khan and others who wanted great power (and aren't considered terribly nice fellows) were very charismatic and were able to subdue their followers.

I will not deny that this is a skill that could be put to good use if the bearer so chose. The bottom line is that Melkor chose not to and so fell from might. Admire such qualities in themselves, if you wish, but it by no means justifies slaughter and war.