The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Éomer (Karl Urban)**

Did you like Éomer's role and Urban's acting?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:00 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Eomer had an extremely small role. No dialogue of note whatsoever. He did look ferocious in battle though.<P>Not even a mention of his new title 'King of Rohan' either.<p>[ 3:00 PM December 17, 2003: Message edited by: Eomer of the Rohirrim ]
Old 12-18-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I expect that to be fixed.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:27 AM   #4
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Karl Urban's portrayal of Eomer was one of the most satisfactory for me in the whole trilogy - he simply *was* Tolkien's Eomer. And he somehow conveyed the impression that he had horses in his blood, you got more sense of the Rohirrim's horse-based culture from him than from any of the other Rohan flok.<BR> There was far too little of him in RotK. I do hope to see more of him in the EE.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

His role was too small for me to say much about him, but I did like his line about Merry quite a bit. It was one of the only real laughs I had in the movie. I'm sorry the Witch king scene was changed so that Eomer didn't find Eowyn "dead" on the battlefield. That would have been a great scene for him.<P>-Lily
Old 12-18-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Karl Urban showed himself to be an excellent actor in <I>The Two Towers</I>, capable of making the role much larger and more noticeable than the writers gave it credit for. I'm still miffed to say the very least about him going north for absolutely no reason while his people are being butchered at Helm's Deep. Just another send 'em away, bring 'em back Peter Jackson gag.<P>Anyway, I admit that the filmmakers had their hands full with a huge number of characters. It wasn't until I saw <I>The Return of the King</I> that I understood (although I still don't forgive) Imrahil's disappearance. There was very little time to deal with Éowyn, Faramir, Legolas or Gimli, and I'm happy to wait until the extended (i.e. real as opposed to condensed) edition. <P><B>But</B> leaving out Éomer's ascendance, and his role as Aragorn's brother (not literally) in the future of Gondor and Rohan was criminal. It could have been accomplished with no more than two lines, at Aragorn's coronation. Éomer had even less emphasis placed on him than in the previous movie, and that seemed to be inconsistent to me. Surely his future is at least as important as seeing who Pippin is going to get married to?<P>Alas for Éomer, who will make a much better king than Bernard Hill did!
Old 12-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think Karl Urban was a wonderful Eomer. I went to see <I>The Two Towers</I> with an image of Eomer in my mind from when I read the books, and Karl Urban fit every single part of that description. He was a Horse-Lord to the core.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Indeed <B>doug</B>, the complete absence of his relationship with Aragorn was pretty bad. The worst part about this version of RotK for Eomer, as has been pointed out, was that we couldn't see his dismay over the 'death' of Eowyn and subsequent rage up the hill where he would meet Aragorn. (I really could cry over the missing out of this scene.)<P>Of course, it was inevitable that certain characters would miss out and that Eomer would be one of them. A real pity.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #9
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eomer is one of the greatest characters brought to us by Tolkien. He deserved more than he got. But saying that, Jackson butchered the whole trilogy. Let us hope that he does not get his filthy paws on any other Middle Earth stories.<P>Mr Urban did a fantastic job of delivering the role he was given by the ****** writers. I salute him!
Old 12-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #10
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Kar Urban was brilliant, but there was far too little of him! I'd have loved to have seen more, greif at Theodens death, relationship with Aragorn, and so on. But I love how he was portrayed in the films.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:36 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Eomer had an extremely small role. No dialogue of note whatsoever. He did look ferocious in battle though.<BR>Not even a mention of his new title 'King of Rohan' either.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><I>WHAT!</I><P>Dear lord say it is not so! Cant wait till boxing day, 4 days to go! we here in Australia are deprived until then!<P>As for Karl Urban, my fave. Actor, i thought he was great in TTT and i have been expecting more in ROTK, if not, it has spoiled christmas.<P>Is it strange to be more excited about ROTK than Christmas?

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 06:24 AM   #12
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What's Christmas?

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Thats when you get all your Return of the King toys.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #14
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><B>Everdawn:</B> Is it strange to be more excited about ROTK than Christmas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have been working like a Trojan for weeks. Our family plan was to wait until January to see RotK so we could fit in Christmas shopping and enjoy some holiday time with the little free time I have. <P>Instead, on Sat. afternoon of opening weekend, we saw the movie as a family. We were very moved. It was well worth it.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:27 PM   #15
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> What's Christmas?<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you serious. Well, it's a christian event that celebrates the birth of the person known as Jesus. But anyway.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Thats when you get all your Return of the King toys. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>TOO TRUE! I want the Helms Deep battle set so i can wage war on my barbies! (yes, at 16 i still <I>love</I> barbie!