The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Is it possible: 1 Silmaril found: The Arkenstone

I was wondering, is the Arkenstone the Silmaril that fell into the Earth? After the mountains shifted and Beleriand went, did a Silmaril come up in the heart of a mountain, encased in stone, only to be carved back by a dwarf? This would explain everything. I'm not sure about dates and if this theory works (because the War of Wrath was before the Silmarils were recovered, though only just, I think). Does anyone know the answer?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

A quick search of the forum is always advisable. But we all do it from time to time:

An old discussion on the Arkenstone.

There are others out there, of course, but this is my favorite.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You obvioulsy have better searching powers than me. I thought I had searched well, but oviously not well enough.

And I didn't just make this thread because of my pseudonym, though its quite a nice coincidence (trying to look for what I lost, eh?)
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A good discussion. I think that the Arkenstone was somewhat informed by the pre-existing description of the Silmarils, as much of The Hobbit's geography resembles but isn't quite that of Beleriand: it's especially worth noting that in Tolkien's Anglo-Saxon translations of the Annals he uses the OE word 'eorclanstanas' to translate 'Silmarils.' But the word literally means nothing more than 'precious or sacred stones.'
Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
"somewhat informed" I like that. There are so many things from the unpublished Silmarillion that crept into the published Hobbit and LotR that one cannot help but think that Tolkien had despaired of TS ever being published and didn't want all that hard work and creativity to go to waste. The Arkenstone would look to be one. If it were an actual silmaril, though, I would wonder how Smaug, a creature of evil, would manage to keep it around without being either burned or driven mad by it.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nope, I don't think so.

To begin with the Lonely Mountain must've been very far from the place where Maedros threw the silmaril down a firery pit. I find it highly unlikely that it would have travelled under the crust of the earth to be refound countless leagues east of where it was originally lost.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
ianintheuk
Newly Deceased

ianintheuk has just left Hobbiton.
Arkenstone = Silmaril

Let's kill this once and for all the answer is NO !!!
ianintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianintheuk View Post
Let's kill this once and for all the answer is NO !!!
Thank goodness you didn't reply earlier. We wouldn't have had this interesting discussion with such an emphatic reply.

Now, since you are inclined to imperatives, did Balrogs have wings, or did they not? We need to settle this once and for all.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Stoatly Grimes
Newly Deceased

Stoatly Grimes has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Morthoron

Interesting.

I was actually referring to the "evidence" presented here:
http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

As I said previously, it is totally tongue-in-cheek; I mentioned it because I think the Arkenstone-Silmaril theory is just as ridiculous.
Stoatly Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoatly Grimes View Post
Morthoron

Interesting.

I was actually referring to the "evidence" presented here:
http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/theories/bombadil.htm

As I said previously, it is totally tongue-in-cheek; I mentioned it because I think the Arkenstone-Silmaril theory is just as ridiculous.
Stoat:

Realizing you were being tongue-in-cheek, I thought I'd be mildly impertinent in return. Anyway, it is quite hilarious the fellow @ flyingmoose.org came up with many of the same points that I did (although I thought my references to Väinämöinen and Þráinn gave my piece an almost scholarly flare ).

Ah well, you know what they say: great mimes wink alike.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #11
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Long home?

It was said in Silmarillion that:

Quote:
And thus it came to pass that the Silmarils found their long homes: one in the airs of heaven, and one in the fires of the heart of the world, and one in the deep waters.
Seemed somewhat intuitive that the Silmaril in the volcano should still be in the molten core of the Earth instead of being dug up and chiseled into some twopenny worth of heirloom...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
Stoatly Grimes
Newly Deceased

Stoatly Grimes has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
(although I thought my references to Väinämöinen and Þráinn gave my piece an almost scholarly flare ).
It certainly did give you a scholarly flare, my learned friend.
Stoatly Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote