The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

JenFramp has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to JenFramp
Sting Gollum's song

I've just purchased the TTT soundtrack and was listening to Gollum's Song on the last track..Does anyone have any thoughts about the lyrics? Anything to analyze? What is it about?<P>Gollum's Song<P>Where once was light, now darkness falls<BR>Where once was love, love is no more<BR>Don't say goodbye, don't say I didn't try<BR>These tears we cry are falling rain<BR>For all the lies you told us, the hurt, the blame<BR>And we will wait to be so alone<BR>We are lost, we can never go home<P>So in the end I'll be what I will be,<BR>No loyal friend was ever there for me<BR>Now we say goodbye, we say you didn't try<BR>These tears you cry, have come to late<BR>Take back the lies, the hurt the blame<BR>And you will wait when you face the end alone<BR>You are lost, you can never go home<BR>You are lost, you can never go home
Old 12-10-2002, 10:55 PM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

How sad. Poor Gollum.<P>What is it talking about? Well, it'd be easier if we could see what was going on when it's heard in the movie. It kinda sounds like he's lamenting his corruption at the hands of the ring, and saying that he wishes it wouldn't have happened, but can't do anything about it now. I don't know. Anybody got connections with Howard Shore or his buddies?<P>Despite the fact that I don't know the details of its meaning, its a very moving song. I'm going to get the soundtrack next time I'm at the store and listen to it.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's an interesting choice of a song, and I wondered just where they were going to put it in the film. I sincerely hope not in the middle of the action, like some Disney film.<P>Yet I can't see them placing it at end when the credits role, like they did with Enya's song. Wherever they place it, it sure doesn't have "Oscar nomination" written all over it. <P>As for the lyrics: when I heard it the first time it seemed to me that Gollum was "speaking" to Frodo, and came across as rather prophetic to me.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:35 PM   #4
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Good lyrics, very interesting (and I mean that in a complimentary way). It's a little difficult to figure out how some of the lines apply, though - it sounds like a self-pitying Gollum is speaking to Frodo (the bit about how no loyal friend was there for him - implication "You have Sam, I have squat" - conveniently forgetting that he KILLED his friend, oh well). Though the bit about taking back the lies would be rather rough on Frodo, who didn't do any such thing (how Gollum saw it, of course, is another matter).<P>I don't know, Birdie, maybe it could be a credits song? God knows the ending should be enough of a downer (possibly Frodo and Sam starting off into the blackness of Shelob's lair?) that it would be entirely appropriately. As you said, just as long as they don't stop things in the middle of, say, the Dead Marshes and have Gollum begin crooning sentimentally . It worked really well in "Toy Story 2" but this is just a touch different .
Old 12-11-2002, 12:26 AM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Sounds like a call for Tigerlily. <P>Those lyrics are pretty sad...man I wish I could get the soundtrack. But I put it on my "Christmas list" which consists of...it. So I have to let someone give it to me. Patience, thou art foriegn to me!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:54 AM   #6
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sounds like a call for Tigerlily.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>(Birdie sticks fingers in her ears and starts humming loudly.) No! No! No! No spoilers! Birdie doesn't want to hear any more about what's in the The Two Towers until she sits down in the theater and watches it!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 02:52 AM   #7
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

LOL Birdland.<P>Yes its a sad song and I agree that he's talking to Frodo about the corruption of the ring. I like the song. However, if it's in the movie I'll still like the song but I'll hate PJ for puttingit in. I like the job PJ did on the movies, however I don't like him adding/changing all this stuff. If he puts this song in it will be like him portraying what he feels on some controversial topics. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We are lost, we can never go home <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That part of the song makes it sound like gollum couldn't change. However, you don't know, and I disagree. I think that gollum can change. If people new to LotR hear this song, its kind of like propaganda to the gullible. But that's just how I feel. It may not be so.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Willie, just because Gollum says it doesn't mean it's true. If it's from Gollum's point of view, he may very well believe that (in fact he does: in ROTK "when Precious goes we'll die, yes, die into the dust." That sounds fairly point of no return-ish). Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #9
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> just because Gollum says it doesn't mean it's true <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's a good point! I didn't think of that
Old 12-11-2002, 01:59 PM   #10
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stick your finges in your ears, Birdie!<BR>***<BR>I read somewhere it will be playing behind the credits...So never fear. Though I personally would have loved to see a tapping&singing Gollum...
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 02:23 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sounds like a call for Tigerlily. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Tigerlily has arrived... OK, enough cheeziness...<BR>Nenya is correct... and though I have seen the movie I still have no more of a better idea of what the song is about than you do. Though, every reply in here sounds right to me. I guess it's meant to be interpreted.<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*slight spoilers<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<B R>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>*<BR>* <BR>I won't tell you the exact end of the movie... though people seem to be almost (yes, that's <I>almost</I>) guessing it.<p>[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 06:47 PM   #12
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I absolutely love that song! I just got the soundtrack yesterday, and I've listened to it at least ten times and have the lyrics memorized. Before I listened to it, I had little to no pity for Gollum, but now, I feel like hugging him! *imagines his wet, slimy skin* Uh...okay, maybe I'll just continue to feel sorry for him..<P>Anyway, I sort of had a realization that it wasn't really his fault (although he did kill Deagol), it was the ring! It's Borormir's exact situation, except he was able to redeem himself. Poor gollum.<P>It made me feel sorry for Frodo too, because I guess it never fully hit me how hard it would be to not be able to be happy or content in the shire. Poor Frodo. Poor ringbearers. *sigh*
Old 12-11-2002, 07:39 PM   #13
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When I heard this song I was determined to try and figure out who's point of view it's from and who it's talking to. <P>After a long time of coming up with the same theories you have I came up with another idea. If you notice the words in the second part are a twist on the words in the first part. I noticed this and came up with this theory:<P>The first part is from Smeogol's point of view and the second part if from Gollum's point of view.<P>I'm not quite sure yet who they're talking to. Whether to eachother like they did in the book or to Frodo or Sam. They may be even talking to the Ring.<P>But I have a strong feeling that Gollum/Smeagol's spit personalities have a part in this song.<P>Also remember that the Ring changes the way people think. So what's said in the song may not be true but just what Gollum/Smeogol thinks is true. Like when he thinks the ring was a birthday present.<P>Does this all make scence?
Old 12-11-2002, 09:13 PM   #14
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm...I can't decide whether or not I like it. I haven't heard the melody yet, but friends have said it's very pretty...it just doesn't seem quite as fitting with the movie as Enya's songs did. (But then, I'm a big Enya fan. I'm a little bummed that she didn't do the music for TT.) But it definitely screams "Gollum," right down to the first person plural. So to try and form a decision to tide me over until I get some money to buy the soundtrack, I have some questions: who sings it? And is it as...um, searching for the right word here...for lack of a better word, is it as ethereal-sounding as "May it be"?<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 12-11-2002, 09:25 PM   #15
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Rose Cotton, yes that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking that maybe he (or they) were singing about the ring as well. The Ring did have a will of it's own..
Old 12-12-2002, 08:41 PM   #16
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

Orual:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> who sings it? And is it as...um, searching for the right word here...for lack of a better word, is it as ethereal-sounding as "May it be"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's sung by Emiliana Torrini. She has a...hollow sounding voice, which I think fits very well if she's supposed to be Gollum. I would say it's as "ethereal sounding" as May it Be, but also quite different. This melody screams for pity and mourning, while May it Be is pretty hopeful. I'll probably be leaving the theater in tears.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:55 PM   #17
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I like the song, but I'd like to hear the actor who plays gollum sing it. I think that it would make it more emotional. No offense, but I think that having a woman sing it makes it seem less like 'gollum's song' ; it would be like having, say arwen's song (Iknow there is no such song but just pretend) sung by a man. It just wouldn't seem like 'arwen's song. Also, having another person sing it makes it seem lesslike 'gollum's song' also. But it really doesn't matter since its for the soundtrack and it won't be played during the movie.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 04:06 AM   #18
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thanks everyone for all your inputs..it has helped my understanding and appreciation for the song..keep them coming!!
Old 12-14-2002, 11:30 PM   #19
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I just want to say that I absolutely love this song. It made sense to me right away, well at least my version on the sense. I think its Gollum talking about himself to Frodo. I think though, that it is nice that it can have so many different interpretations, it should be like that.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:54 AM   #20
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yes I agree as well. It took me several times of hearing it before I decided that I liked it..
Old 12-15-2002, 10:57 AM   #21
The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob
Animated Skeleton

The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Daughter of Gollum and Shelob
White-Hand

aaah that is such a sweet song!!<BR>I debate that this song is showing the other side of Gollum - the softer, abused, childlike thespian. He loves the ring, but he hates it too. He is jealous of Frodo in a way, because he has friends who protect him and love him, while Gollum does not, and never did. Deagol was never too good a friend, maybe.<P>If, like me, you are a fan of Gollum, then join his fanclub that my friends and I have put up. We are working on the website, but so far, email us at<P> <A HREF="mailto:gollumfanclub@hotmail.com">gollumfanc lub@hotmail.com</A> <P>Please join!!
Old 12-15-2002, 11:40 AM   #22
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Deagol was never too good a friend, maybe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's it!<BR>Maybe that's why Gollum went so bad so fast!<BR>Perhaps he was so willing to strangle Deagol for the Ring not because of the Ring but because he never liked Deagol.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:20 PM   #23
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
Tolkien

I don't think that just because he didn't like his best friend is the reason Smeagol killed him. The ring was calling him very badly(it was lying on a riverbed forgotten for so long not doing anything evil) and Smeagol it seems was not exactly a saint in the first place.<P>But I do like the song, it's very haunting. *is listening to it now* I have to say though the fact it is sung by a woman makes it even more so. It adds to that 'ethereal feeling' mentioned above. I'm still not sure who the song is is being sung to or what. But it is as schzio as Gollum is, so it fits. Personally, I'm thinking it's the feelings of all the ringbearers. Once you have touched the ring, this thing of pure evil, you're never the same. The line you can never go home fits so well because none of the ringbearers can ever go back to the existence they had before. It's like moving from ignorance to knowledge. You see the world so differently afterwards. <P>By the way, JenFramp, on your signature, what is that quote from?
Old 12-15-2002, 10:45 PM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> By the way, JenFramp, on your signature, what is that quote from? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh oh oh! I can answer that. It's from "The Hand Song" by Sean Watkins and David Puckett, as sung by Sara Watkins of <A HREF="http://www.nickelcreek.com" TARGET=_blank>Nickel Creek.</A> I have that CD and I've listened to it a thousand times give or take a few. It's a very nice sig, Jen.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:01 AM   #25
JenFramp
Haunting Spirit

Sting

It is a song called "Thats how he hurt his hands" By the band Nickel Creek and it is on their first album..if you would like the full lyrics..pm me and i'll send them to you
Old 12-16-2002, 01:50 AM   #26
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

You know, there's a <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001232" TARGET=_blank>Nickel Creek thread</A> on this forum!<P>--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote