The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question Valinor = Heaven for Elves?

The Undying Lands remind me alot of what Heaven on Earth for the Elves. I believe that when the mortals died, the men , dwarves, hobbits, and goblins, that they would go to Heaven. The Elves who are immortal and therefore cannot die would have to have some resting place for them and so there is Valinor. Does it sound right? And another thing.. Luthien Tinviel game up her immortality and became mortal so did she give up a mortal heaven for a immortal Heaven? Did she give up immortality of the materialistic kind for a more spiritual immortality? Anyone know?
Old 07-20-2003, 02:49 AM   #2
Malhwesta

Sting

I found this as I was searching the web:

The realm of the Valinor is a magical land, far beyond the western seas, where Elves and angels dwell. It is not heaven, not for humankind, and really not for Elven kind. It is simply a paradise which has been denied to Men (although another paradise was set up for Men). Heaven is where God dwells, Iluvatar, Eru, the One, the All-father. In the end we may all meet up there, Elves, Men, Dwarves, and Angels. Or we may not. We don't really know for sure.

I have no idea how true it is but I hope it helps [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!
Old 07-20-2003, 05:02 AM   #3
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The continent of Aman (which Valinor was on) was used by the Valar as a haven from Morgoth. When the Elves awoke they took them there to protect them from him. I can't remember why they didn't take the men there too, but I think it had to do with the "doom of men", i.e. mortality. Where men go after death was an unknown factor. If Elves die they go to the Halls of Mandos, but they can be "reincarnated". The length of time they have to wait for this varies, according to the good they have done in their lives.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In some sense, the Undying Lands are the Heaven for Elves. As Elves cannot leave the Circles of the World this is the closest thing to Heaven that we can reach, at least, before the Dagor Dagorath [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

But, strictly speaking, I think that the Undying Lands are closer to the Lost Paradise (the Garden of Eden) which is a material 'Heaven' that now is forbidden to Men [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 08:36 AM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Almaren is closer to the Garden of Eden.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:57 AM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I believe that when the mortals died, the men , dwarves, hobbits, and goblins, that they would go to Heaven.
First of all, I don't think that the goblins will be going to heaven or paradise anytime soon [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Perhaps Tolkien envisioned a purgatory for the servants of Morgoth and Sauron (and evil beings in general), between the world and the place where mortals go when they die. Secondly, I believe the dwarves go to the halls of Aule, their creator. If anyone can find any text to support or debate any of my arguments I would welcome it... I shall do some research myself.

[ July 20, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 07-20-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

quote:
--------------------------------------------
First of all, I don't think that the goblins will be going to heaven or paradise anytime soon
--------------------------------------------
Why do you think that burrahobbit? I don't believe that all goblins are bad. No entire race is evil.. well besides the orcs that is.. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kiah, dear, Goblins ARE orcs. Goblins and orcs are essentially the same in Middle-Earth.