The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2002, 10:57 PM   #41
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
According to my sister, who is crazily obsessed about Mr. Bloom, he no longer smokes and is a vegatarian.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:23 AM   #42
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Given his age and inexperience, Orlando Bloom really impressed me. He seemed to really embrace his role. I really enjoyed his performance. <P>I was satisfied by the way Legolas character developed. Legolas and Gimli's relationship developed. Legolas grew more intense as the stakes were raised. I accepted the stunts as a reflection of that elvin intensity.<P>I'm not sure how I felt about his challenging Aragorn in front of the men. I tend to think, as an elf, Legolas would have seen his share of battles and would have had more of a big picture perspective on this one battle against Sauron's forces. Despite my own opinion on this Bloom managed to sell Legolas reaction to me in the movie.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:38 PM   #43
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

two things:<P>-That horse mounting was not a digital masterpiece. That's real, and possible. If the horse i going fast enough, which it is, it is very possible to do. It's not orlando bloom doing it, though, obviously. <P>-A red sun rises... blood has been spilled on this day.. <BR>ummmmm.... yeah, whatever dude. Just don't act that absolutely corny and random ever again.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:32 PM   #44
PippinSqueak
Pile O'Bones

PippinSqueak has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was really pleased with Peter Jackson improving Legolas's character. You were able to see more of his personality. He wasn't just some elf stating the obvious like in FotR..where he would yell out "Orcs!" occasionally, although the type of creature had already been established. He seemed a lot more wise and dangerous in TTT, also.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:28 PM   #45
darkrose

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought the part where he flipped over the horse's head was a little overboard, it just didn't have a believable feel to it. I was just sitting there anticpating the battle, and all of a sudden he flips. It was spectacular, but it also caused me to draw back away from the movie and go "Huh?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's exactly what my reaction was, too. Heh. It was just too eccentric and over the top. I mean...yeah, Legolas is one awesome elf, but that flip was a bit ridiculous.<P>Otherwise, I completely enjoyed Orlando's portrayal of Legolas in TTT. As stated before, his role in FotR was meager and somewhat depthless. I probably adored him in FotR so much because of his -gorgeous- looks. Blinded by a swanker, lol.<P>Anyway, yes, the wonderful character of Legolas was finally portrayed adequately. Deep lines and emotions were finally shown, instead of one-liners like: "Orcs!" "We musn't linger!" "We must press on!" I saw a different side of Legolas, and it only improved my view of the character and the movie as a whole.<P>You gotta love the part when Eomer threatened to cut Gimli's head off, and Legolas whipped his bow up and defended Gimli. That made me jump up out of my seat and yell barely discernable things like "YeeahgoLegolasgo!" Great stuff.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:58 PM   #46
Legolas*is*a*hotty

I think Legolas is a great caracter in TTT. i mean i really liked him in the first one but he only talked like 2-4 times. I think he has more of a role in this movie then walk with the fellowship and look pretty handsome. Which he did good. He got me hooked.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:49 PM   #47
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think he did an excellent job portraying Legolas. There were a couple parts, like the horse-flip move, and when he surfed on the shield during the battle that didn't seem to fit in middle earth, but all around he did a great job. I didn't really think that the scene where he gets mad (so to speak) at Aragorn fit his character, but orlando managed to make it work. Great job!
Old 12-26-2002, 12:55 AM   #48
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Eye

Orlando Bloom did a fantastic job as Legolas! Not only did he look good on screen, but his character developed dramatically and Bloom took that in his stride. I loved the way that the Gimli/Legolas relationship was unvieled in this film...I particularily liked the fighting scenes with Legolas...they were well coriographed and realistic <p>[ December 26, 2002: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:54 AM   #49
orlib

Eye

I really locved him! I love orlando, he is v. cute!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:34 AM   #50
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas was so much better in TTT than he was in FOTR. I'm so glad that his lines were actually sentences instead of corny <BR>one-liners like in FOTR. The conversations he had with Gimli were the best. I am also glad that they showed Legolas's fighting skills because it made him look like the noble warrior he was supposed to be instead of some girly elf. Anyway, Orlando Bloom did a *GREAT* job portraying Legolas and I'm looking forward to seeing more action from Legolas in ROTK.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:36 PM   #51
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>5'9" is usually too tall for a gymnast. As is 5'11". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>In metric system, that would be...how much? Anyone? I know, I know, maths just isn't my thing.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 10:57 PM   #52
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think he did a great job. The stunts were great-the horse thing and the shield surfing. When I went to the theatres the first time, there were three guys in front of us and they were like "cool!" and "oh my God!!!" It was soo funny seeing their reactions!!Anyways, I think Orly did a great job and can't wait to see him in the next movie!! <P><BR> Hail Orly!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:15 PM   #53
hipsuperstar

Pipe

After all the cool things greenleaf pulled off in FotR and tTT I can't wait to see what he'll do in the Return of the king!<BR> <BR>I'm hoping for a last scene showing what all the main chrecters are up to, f.e. gimli and legolas exploring middle earth together, sam and rosie taking care of the baby, mithrandir with his ring of fire.... ect...
Old 12-28-2002, 05:35 PM   #54
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Man, this guy is awesome. It was amazing watching him on screen. I love how they brought out Legolas and Gimli's friendship. I about died laughing on some of the scenes. But Legolas is the ultimate Elf. None better. He is so cool. Oh, and that skater boy thing he did down the steps, whooo!! Yeah I love his fighting techniques. He is so cool. I don't really know how else to describe him. <P>And as far as the actor goes, you go Orli!!! Yeah!!!!!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:22 AM   #55
novbarwen greenleaf
Pile O'Bones

novbarwen greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

i don't care how or what is his relationship with gimli (just kidding). anyway he's waaay HOT! err... GORGEOUS is the word. anyway, bloom did a very good job in TT, better than in FOTR and i love his voice... hehehe and i also like the part when he and aragorn yell at each other (???)
Old 12-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #56
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Purple Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oril was brilliant in TTT very cool & Elven altho i hang my head in shame & i expect u will all disagree, but i agree with Helkasir about the "A red sun rises many people have died this night" (or whatever i need to see it again) i actually laughed it sounded so....how can i put it, up himself, nothing on orli though i still love him dearly. Also did u notice his eyes changed colour?, i started thread about that yesterday actually its weird.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #57
Alex Chamois
Animated Skeleton

Alex Chamois has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I didn't think he sounded up himself. I thought he sounded corny and weak. Even worse than "orcs!" and "goblins!". But then he actually had an argument with Aragorn, that was great
Alex Chamois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:12 PM   #58
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Ugh, vegetarian! I bet I know where your sister got that Gorwingel! Orli Online! The scariest, sickest website there is! Ugh, that site mad me hate Orli for like 2 hours! Anyway, Orli Orli Orli...that's fun to say...so why am I typing it? Oh well. I like Legolas better, I always like fictional characters best. Maybe it's because they aren't real. That actually makes sense if you think about it. I laughed at that line too, I actually liked it but I just find Orli funny. Yeah...<P>Shade of Carn Dum! YES!<p>[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:20 PM   #59
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> According to my sister, who is crazily obsessed about Mr. Bloom, he no longer smokes and is a vegetarian. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, they talk about that on <A HREF="http://www.imdb.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.imdb.com</A> , which is <I>the</I> site to go to if you want to know about movies. So it seems to be widespread knowledge now. And it was in an article my friend showed me in Teen People...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and when he surfed on the shield during the battle that didn't seem to fit in middle earth, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was thinking: maybe that is in homage to all the time they spent surfing in New Zealand...?<P>And I think that Orlando Bloom really did make anachronistic and out-of-character comments work.<P>And was I the only one who noticed that he kept warning them that something was awry in the first, then they never listened to him, then they ended up having to fight countless Orcs and Uruk-Hai? Well, Aragorn seemed to learn better with the whole "What do your Elven eyes see?" and everything. Although, they made too big a deal about the blue eyes. It was getting to the point where I no longer said, "Ooooo...bluuuuue," but rather, "Mmmm-hmmm...we know, we know...". And yes, his eyes changed color in the first movie as well as the second. It depends on the angle whether you can see through his blue contact lenses or not. That's how most of those contacts work. Also, it depends on how bright the light is. In brighter lights, you can see right through the lenses and see the green-brown eyes that he really has...
Old 12-31-2002, 02:43 PM   #60
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orlando bloom was a great choice for Legolas. The surfing I agree just did not work, but 5 secs out of 3h? That is not that bad. I think he did a good job at the running, it was smooth and flowing.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:41 PM   #61
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think he did a good job at the running, it was smooth and flowing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Except for the one part I caught the second time where he had a misstep in one of those wide-angle shots...he tripped, almost fell, figured out how to keep his balance, then continued running like nothing happened...
Old 01-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #62
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Except for the one part I caught the second time where he had a misstep in one of those wide-angle shots...he tripped, almost fell, figured out how to keep his balance, then continued running like nothing happened... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I didn't notice that! That is actually kind of funny. Oh well, something to watch for next time!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:40 PM   #63
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ugh, vegetarian! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You saying something abotu vegetarians Durelin?<P>I was impressed this time, I really was. In the first one, I wasnt sure what the big deal was; he didnt do anything. But here....I was very impressed. Especially the scene where he stresses at Aragorn in Helms deep. I was very impressed!<P>BTW, who is the actor who plays faramir?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #64
Legolas*is*a*hotty

Silmaril

I know this doesn't have much to do with Legolas in TTT,but in FotR there are mess ups. Like when Frodo and Sam are in the cornfrield and Sam says, "If I take another step it will be the farthest from home I have ever been." Well at the top of the screen a car drives by from left to right.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:03 AM   #65
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Thank God Legolas got rid of all his one liners!!! <P><BR>But when he said "A red sun Rises, Blood has been spilt this night" I thought he sounded like a freakin' fourtune cookie!!<P>He was so much better in this film, I was amazed because I wasn't expecting much after FOTR, because his part wasn't large. Any way in FOTR why wasn't he singing??!!?? Aragorn was, well in the extended version, but still where was the singing??!!?? Maybe he can't sing.......<P>But seriously I thought Orlando did very well and I loved the little argument with Aragorn.....no matter how un- elf like it was.....
Old 01-03-2003, 02:16 PM   #66
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

The "blood has been spilt this night" line seemed fake. Not good. And yes, like a freakin fortune cookie.<P>I disagree about the arguement ebing un elf like. I thought it showed another side of what legolas might have been thinking in the book, what an elf would have felt like among short-lived humans, doomed to short life no matter what.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #67
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hmmm... Orlando/Legolas was pretty good. I'm not going to say anything great about him in this thread, nor anything great about Elijah, because when I say something great about them to my uncles, for one set of people, I'm considered a fangirl, and I'm not.<P>I know a lot of you are going to disagree with this, but I really disliked Aragorn and Legolas's arguement. As my mom pointed out, it's not always that friends start screaming at each other in a tense time.<P>His horse-mounting was pretty impressive, if you don't pay attention to how fake it looks. His shield-surfing was also neat, but I wasn't THAT impressed.<P>"A red sun rises... blood has been spilled this day." That did not impress me in the least. That was a pretty terrible line.<P>Did anyone else notice that somewhere in the beginning of the movie, during their 'Three Hunters' episode, Legolas shouted something that didn't sound very elf-like at all? I forget the line but it wasn't an elf voice that he said it in.<P>~Nurumaiel
Old 01-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #68
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Oh ouch. No nura, I would definitly not be one to say you were a fan girl in the least. On one hand we have the fan-mob. On the other we have the mob of angry people with pitchforks and flaming torches, led by you! <P>I wasnt keen on the whole "elf voice" thing. Sounded a bit fakey. Now a british accent, and a London one at that...now that is a good accent....<P>Not that Im at all bias.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:51 PM   #69
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I think that Mr.Bloom has done a wondeful job as playing Legolas. He's very lucky to have his first movie job being in Lord of the Rings. I think PJ chose the right person to play him.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #70
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

This is a little of the topic of Orlando Bloom, but I asked before and no one answered so....who plays Faramir?
Old 01-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #71
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

David Wenham plays Faramir
Old 01-03-2003, 04:16 PM   #72
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Thankyou lady elbereth. Much obliged.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #73
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Any way in FOTR why wasn't he singing??!!?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ummm...Orlando singing? That would by hysterical...<P>Ooo! The shield-surfing mystery is solved! I read somewhere that, if you listen, the music during the shield-surfing turns decidedly into sounding like the "Back to the Future" music. Last time I went to see "The Two Towers" I listened and they were right! Peter Jackson must have been paying homage to "Back to the Future" (remember the whole skateboard thing?). Giving nods to movies isn't that new to Lord of the Rings, though. They openly state that the Crebain circling was meant to be a nod to Hitchcock's "The Birds".<P>Good, so I am not the only one who was underwhelmed with Mister Bloom's Elvish? I was feeling like such a shrew that I was feeling so picky about it...
Old 01-03-2003, 11:20 PM   #74
Legolas*is*a*hotty

Silmaril

My mom says that I am obsessed with the whole LotR/Legolas. I don't think I am. Yah I read the books watched the movies talk about them and read up on them and all, but seriously I don't think that I am at all obsessed. I mean it interests me and I want to know all I can about how it was made and I read the thing about the sword inscriptions and stuff, but it interessed me. I always believed in a world like middle earth, you know?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:34 AM   #75
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

LOTR_know-it-all55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LOTR_know-it-all55
Shield

Hellooo what's not to like!!!!
Old 01-04-2003, 02:24 AM   #76
hollyann

Silmaril

oh, come on people the "horse flippy" thing was AWESOME. As a spirited elf with high sensory perception and swift feet, he would totally be able to do this. Orlando is great in this roll...he is not the greatest actor in the world but with a face like that, I guess you don't have to be. Overall, I am really pleased with his character development.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:41 PM   #77
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It seems everyone hates the "Blood has been spilled this night" line. I like it, but there should have been something afterwards. I think Aragorn looked back, but it was like Legolas was talking to himself... <P>Legolas: A red sun rises in the East. Blood has been spilt this night.<BR>Aragorn: Goddamn elf's talking to himself again! I'm surrounded by weirdos...
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:36 PM   #78
Swin

Sting

I didn't think Legolas was that great.<BR>Sure he was badass, he was cool.<P>But that's about it, really.<P>Every movie needs one of that kind, I guess.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:12 PM   #79
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I just don't see why people are "vegetarians" I love my MEAT! I've heard the shield surfing thing is a token to <I>Back to the Future</I>. What's the matter with the line? It was kinda out of nowhere but so what? It's something Legolas would say I think.<p>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:14 PM   #80
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OMG! Legolas was AWESOME! My dad, MY DAD actually laughed and said "Cool!" when Legolas did the flippy thingy! Let the records show that Legolas (although not as cool as Aragorn *sigh*) is cool enough to make my own father say "cool" (And thats saying a WHOLE lot!)
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote