The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #1
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Eowyn and Aragorn

o.k, this might seem strange, but i am kind of dissapointed at how much they toned down eowyns love for aragorn. in the book, it CLEARY states that. i m not criticizing PJ (i m forever i his debt) but i dont understand it! they go on and on with aragorn and arwen, but eowyn they just snuff out? does anyone else have thoughts to share on this issue?
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:53 AM   #2
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I think it was done really well in the film. I mean, the book is written in the third person, so you can say "she loved him" without anyone in the story hearing you, or actually saying anything. But the film is sans-narrator, so, as you can't have Éowyn saying "I love him but he loves an elf-maiden" you need to show that she loves him, but not actually say it. So, in that sense I thught they did it well, and in instances like <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> So few...so few of you have returned... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> you can feel what she is getting at without her actually saying "Where is Aragorn, I love him". <BR>
Old 01-04-2003, 06:06 AM   #3
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the way they portrayed her was good cuz other wise it would just be sooo.... hollywoodlike if you get me. It would draw away attention from the real story, everyone would be like, ooh heard about that love triangle?? ya know?<BR>
Old 01-04-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

oooh.. didnt think of that, you guys are right. and i forgot all about the "so few" part. she had a major freakout!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think they did a pretty good part of showing that Eowyn loves Aragorn. They also showed that he kinda liked her a bit, too, and that was good.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I thought all her scenes were done tastefully. If her love for Aragorn had been exaggerated any more or any less, it would've been terrible, but I think PJ found a happy medium. I was VERY glad to see that at the end when she hugs him, he smiles but he DOESN'T hug back. Way not to go in for temptation, Aragorn!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also think they did a good job with it especially showing not just liking him but also showing him as a chance of escape from her shrinking world.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:06 AM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too believe it was tastefully done, although I wish they had made her even sterner. Icy.<P>I love that one line of Aragorn's when they are walking to Helm's Deep, and as he fingers his medallion Eowyn says "Who is she?". So Aragorn 'drifts off' for a few minutes, then comes to and says "She is sailing to the undying lands with all that is left of her kin." What on Earth do you say to that?? "Oh really? Does she sail often? I've never really liked the water myself." All she can do is slink away thinking this guy's nuts!
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:17 AM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

They did a very good job, the film makers showed that they cared for eachother, but that they did not love eachother romantically.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:30 AM   #10
Calenamarthiel
Pile O'Bones

Calenamarthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that they were able to show Eowyn's regard for Aragorn very effectively. Aside from the previously mentioned scene "so few... so few of you have returned...," Eowyn's love for Aragorn is shown when she constantly looks back at him while Gimli tells her a funny dwarf story, when her face clouds with disappointment after she learns who "the woman who gave you that jewel" was, and just after the battle at Helm's Deep when a very tired Aragorn walks up to her and she hugs him. So I really don't think that Eowyn's love for Aragorn was not shown sufficiently in the movie.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:17 AM   #11
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the joy she so evidently demonstrates when he returns and greets Legolas at Helm's Deep, the way in which Aragorn's reaction to the Evenstar being handed back to him clearly halts her from going any further, all go to show that she 'loves' Aragorn.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:29 AM   #12
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'm a bit baffled by some of the comments in this thread. Of course, if you haven't read the books you might have expected more of a romance but in fact the romance element was hugely OVERdone in the film, compared to the book.<BR>Tolkien's Eowyn fell in love with Aragorn at first sight but she was, as someone else has pointed out, icy and reserved. She would not have giggled and bantered with Gimli, or hugged Aragorn. And Tolkien's Aragorn was also much more formal and reserved with Eowyn. <BR>This isn't some Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks rom-com. It is (or is meant to be) a heroic epic.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:20 AM   #13
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm...it seems that LoTR was a little bit too much 'Hollywoodised' in TTT. Though I can see Eowyn staring lustfully at him in the books, I can't see her giggling like a schoolgirl at Gimli's stupidity.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:42 AM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well, she certainly wouldn't have laughed at Gimli's stupidity in the books, because in the books, Gimli wasn't stupid.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #15
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli isn't stupid in the movies, he's just vertically-challenged and a bit full of himself. Weakness in Gimli was displayed in the books when he succumbs to the terror of the Paths of the Dead. He's got a few flaws, but he's trustworthy, mostly brave and hardy, sort of like a dog.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:01 PM   #16
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>She would not have giggled and bantered with Gimli, or hugged Aragorn. And Tolkien's Aragorn was also much more formal and reserved with Eowyn. <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>exactly! i agree. dunedain_aragorn, try and get over it! (I go to school with her) I mean, this gal loves Aragorn too much! She practically fumes every time there is a woman in the books or movies that doesn't swoon over him!
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 09:09 PM   #17
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Sting

Eowyn and Aragorn were perfect in the films.<P>Gimli, well.. Jon Rhys Davies has a natural flare for being a Dwarf, check through the additions on the DVD; why would anyone wish to silence this ability? Anyway, Gimli isnt stupid, its just he seems to enjoy everything and finds it amusing..