The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #1
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

LOTR_know-it-all55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LOTR_know-it-all55
Shield Does it bother anyone else...

that when the Three Hunters and Gandalf are about to enter Meduseld they hand over their weapons willingly!!??(save Gandalf) In the book Aragornn tells them that no other man shall handle Anduril. Then Legolas and Gimli hand theirs over only because they will be in such good company with Anduril. I don't know maybe it's only me....
Old 01-04-2003, 12:57 AM   #2
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well...not too much really, if only because Aragorn isn't carrying Anduril in this version . It's a good scene in the books, but in the movie it would seem a little odd if Aragorn starts getting portentous about a sword that up till now has never had any particular significance. This makes the argument over weapons carrying somewhat pointless and it would also take up time that could be used for other stuff, since the conclusion would be the same anyway, with them all leaving their weapons except for Gandalf. I thought they did a nice shorthand version of it by having Gandalf say that surely they wouldn't deprive an old man of his staff; it got the point across in less time.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:13 AM   #3
Armani_Elf
Animated Skeleton

Armani_Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

a book can never be the same as the film. that's all i can say.<P>peace
Old 01-04-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that that was a real missed opertunity. I mean, during the fighting scenes, they seem to have unlimited amounts of daggers, swords, arrows ect. It should have taken them a little longer to give them in.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #5
Purple Elf
Animated Skeleton

Purple Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was a bit dissapointed at this aswell, I mean these are their war weapons! they have saved their lives and slewn many of their enemys weapons in days of old were to men like cars or Games consols etc are to the men of today, they are attached to them and should of, like it was in the book made a little more fuss when giving them over. But i do still realise that the movie was an adaptation and they cant do every detail so, c'est la vie.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:42 AM   #6
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Aragorn is Isildur's heir!! He is the ONE that can weild the blade that cut the Ring from Sauron's hand! It should be a sacred blade!<p>[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: LOTR_know-it-all55 ]
Old 01-04-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
anduin angel 44
Pile O'Bones

anduin angel 44 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yes it bothered me soooooooo much!!!
Old 01-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #8
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Wield** sorry
Old 01-04-2003, 11:56 AM   #9
Haldir
Animated Skeleton

Haldir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Haldir
Sting

that did NOT bother me, but it DID bother me<BR>that the castle in Meduseld has just one room,<BR>they give their weapons outside, right after<BR>the door they're in the King's room, that's<BR>kind of funny..
Haldir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Aragorn is the heir of Isildur's heir!! He is the ONE that can weild the blade that cut the Ring from Sauron's hand! It should be a sacred blade! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, except for one teensy problem: The blade he handed over wasn't Narsil/Anduril. It was just some replacement sword. If he had made that much fuss about this little thing, wouldn't it bring down Anduril's significance? And on a happier note, Gimli doesn't look pleased at handing over his many axes, he just doesn't protest. Try to be positive, people.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:42 PM   #11
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Sting

fine mortal elf but i still don't like it
Old 01-05-2003, 12:35 AM   #12
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

*ducking from thrown objects*<P>Wow people, chill, it's cool. Difference of opinion is always appreciated, for it makes interesting conversations. Don't take disagreements as personal insults. That's the beauty of this lovely forum.<P>I agree, I was a little disappointed with the handing over the weapons stuff and what it lead to - the Exorcist revisited scene. However, that was all remedied to me when Gandalf <I>winked</I>. DUDE!<B>WINKED</B>!<P>**off-topic note**<BR>Oh hey also, we can go back and edit our messages. Feel free to take advantage of this nifty tool - it saves from having to post a new message.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
Hobbiton_Girl

Sting

I was a little disappointed but, like someone else said, (I'm too lazy to check!) the main point was maid when they hesitated for a moment, Gimli didn't look happy, and Gandalf didn't give up his staff. The movie was still really awesome!
Old 01-05-2003, 11:36 AM   #14
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Shield

TTT-"Slowly Aragorn unbuckled his belt and himself set his sword upright against the wall. 'Here I set it,' he said; 'but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay a hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.'<BR>The guard stepped back and looked with amazement on Aragorn. 'It seems that you are come on the wings of song out of the forgotten days,'he said. 'It shall be,lord, as you command.'<BR>'Well,' said Gimli, 'if it has Anduril to keep it company, my axe may stay here,too, without shame'; and he laid it on the floor. 'Now then, if all is as you wish, let us go and speak with your master.'"<P>Sorry bout that, I meant no offense and I certainly do not think that the quality and greatness of the movie or anything involving LOTR was lessened by this.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hello! They didn't have time, there was so many more important elements to the story that they couldn't dwell on a trivial scene like that. Atleast they fit Gandalf's reluctantness in.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #16
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Oh guys come on. It's just a few missing lines. I'd rather see more time spent on Faramir and Treebeard than to see those lines. By the way, we've sort of already established that the sword is Elendil's. In Ammon Huin(?,I'm not good at geograghy), Aragorn calls out Elendil at least once so we fans know. Granted it is an undertone of the soundtrack but it is there. Though seeing Aragorn's griping at Edoras(again geography) would be nice, it's not necessary to the plot. Think of what would be next too cut if they put it in .
Old 01-06-2003, 02:39 PM   #17
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

Shield

They didn't have to dwell on it or put in all of those lines.(that was just to prove a point) In my OPINION it would have made a nice addition to that particular scene.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:48 PM   #18
nevfeniel

Eye

Perhaps it will be on the extended edition. We don't <I>know</I> they didn't say it, only that they didn't <I>show</I> it.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:38 AM   #19
hollyann

Silmaril

maybe I am simplifying it but to me, "handling" means to fight with not to take and put to the side while they go in to have Gandalf reverse the spell. Handling means "to use"... in my opinion. At least thats the way I choose to explain it.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:10 AM   #20
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It does indeed bother me, knowitall. Tolkien insisted that his greatest heroes have magical weapons. Even Farmer Giles of Ham had a magic sword. In the movies it seems more necessary to have a cool looking weapon than one of great lineage and history. As for Gimli's small airyfairy axe (I think it might be one of his throwing ones), I think he should have just left it there full stop.<P>Ian McKellen's wink was excellent, though. Touch of class. The next five minutes or so I'd rather forget, though.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:28 AM   #21
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to say that such a small piece of tolkens magic missing from a great adaptation of his books is not going to or shouldn't ruin any ones oppinions of the film as if you didnt notice there was a pause in which all of the company have a discontented look in their face and when aragornn passes his sword he pauses befor letting go all be it momentarily but it was i think enough to show his feelings about this treatment the group was given. Just a thought!
Donlammenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:23 PM   #22
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cherie, if I'm not mistaken, "Elendil" was his war cry--much like Merry and Pippin crying "The Shire!" Their swords didn't come from the Shire, but it's what they were fighting for and therefore what they said before plunging into battle. I can't recall hearing Aragorn say "Elendil"--though you're probably right, because PJ does like to toss us bones like that--but it probably didn't mean that his sword was Elendil's.<P>Though I'm certainly not arguing your main point, that it's not a huge deal. Personally, I was more aggravated by the lack of the Grishnakh scene--I dearly wanted to hear Pippin imitate Gollum. (Of course, I'd have settled for Pippin doing pretty much anything--he was really shortchanged in the movie, hardly any screentime, and I missed him...) Not everything can be kept. I would've settled for Faramir being in the movie, and maybe even Treebeard. Where were they? <P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 01-16-2003, 03:10 AM   #23
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Sting

Interesting point about the battle-cries, Orual. So maybe the filmmakers were trying not to glorify weapons so much? While the main swords are all beautiful pieces of work, the only one that really gets alluded to heavily is Sting, and that is more for its fine craftsmanship than its power. This is a nice change, I suppose, from all of the modern day movies such as Blade or Men in Black that make people think, "Man, I want one of those!"
Old 01-16-2003, 07:00 AM   #24
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This didn't bother me at all, because it wasn't Anduril......I was bothered both times by the unattractivness of Theoden's sword. A great moment, he slowly grasps the sword, which is held up for considerable screen time, for all to see......Yet, for some reason, I thought the sword looked rather "clunky" compared with many of the gorgeous props I've seen in these films. Was that a heart at the base of the blade? (no "horse" motifs?) Ach! I know, Theoden's sword (does it have a name in the book? I can't remember) was not "made by the elves", that's why it doesn't seem quite as beautiful. <p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 01-16-2003, 08:03 PM   #25
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting

I like swords. I want swords.<P>Mmmmm... swords.<P>The LOTR movies have done nothing to diminish my sword-fetish. In fact, they've probably made it worse.<P>Ah, Glamdring, you will soon be mine...<P>Oh yeah, and Gandalf's wink was priceless.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:16 AM   #26
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

Sting

I think the <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> heart at the base of the blade <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>was actually two horseheads facing each other. I still can't <B>believe</B> how incredible Sting looked!! Although since it was done so appallingly (inconsistently, ugly and not done for Glamdring), I think they should have left the glowing action out altogether.<P>I'm pretty sure Théoden's sword was named in the book, but that's a good five metres away in another room. Oh, no, this thread's been hijacked by the sword freaks! Sorry, knowitall!
Old 01-23-2003, 06:33 PM   #27
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Compared to the fighting scene that follows, in the King's hall, in the presense of the King, with King's guards, with their bare hands - their 'willingness' to give up their weapons isn't so shocking at all.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote