The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
Aphrodel Baggins
Pile O'Bones

Aphrodel Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien in TTT- legolas jumping over that horse!?!?

when i was in the theater when legolas jumped over that horse everybody was like "oh my god" with a couple of ohs and ahs .and i was just wondering what the reaction in the theater was like when you guys were there !?!oh yeah,what was the crowd like when you went.i went about noon on the first day it opened .the crowd was HUGE!!!!!<P><BR>
Old 01-24-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4" TARGET=_blank>http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4</A>
Old 01-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #3
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Here we use proper spelling.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

didnt notice other reactions. too busy with my own: Oh My God. He looked ridiculous!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:43 PM   #5
Gollum
Pile O'Bones

Gollum has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Rediculous? That was cool!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

it was bad. what was worse was that he actually did it himself
Old 01-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I started a thread very similar to this question. The first time I saw it in the theatres, the people were like "What the heck??" and there were a lot of surprised remarks.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

It was ridiculous, it is simple. <P>I have forgiven PJ for everything else and find the film good (even Legolas's skating down the stairs, urgh!) but that bit just got to me.<P>Elves = cool, graceful, swift<P>Elves <> rubber boned, spring backed freaks.<P>It was just wrong, sorry!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:49 PM   #9
Blue Elf
Wight

Blue Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was over exsive, and totally irrelevant to the movie. Yes, there were a lot of gasps, and I admit, it was pretty neat, but first, it had nothing to do with anything, and second, if they're doing a cool shot like that, why half block it by everyone else??
Old 01-25-2003, 05:20 AM   #10
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Silmaril

There are some peoples thoughts on this very same topic <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001738" TARGET=_blank>here</A>

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

At the midnight premier, everyone cheered and clapped... <BR>I personally thought it was a bit fake looking, but never the less cool. :-)
Old 01-25-2003, 02:07 PM   #12
The Necromancer
Pile O'Bones

The Necromancer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really liked that part!!! My two younger cousins who went to the movie with me, both avid Legolas fans, had heard about it from some of their friends at school and kept whispering to me "I think this is where he jumps on the horse" every so often and when he did, they both yelled "Cool!" A bunch of other people clapped. I agree with Blue Elf that that didn't really have anything to do with anything but it was cool!!!!
Old 01-25-2003, 09:12 PM   #13
PsYcHo Me

Sting

I really liked it, and "Urgh" to the skateboarding scene?!?!?!?! <B>THAT WAS SOOOOOO COOL!!!!!!</B> I loved it!
Old 01-26-2003, 06:22 PM   #14
Krumbad The Slobberer

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>it was bad. what was worse was that he actually did it himself<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sorry, Meela, the "Leggy" in the shot was completely computer-generated.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #15
Nellyphantini

Silmaril

Pesonnally i like Legolas he didnt look foolish and i loved the manouvre coooooooooooool i am proud that he is a fellow Lothlorian like me i think that we should all beware of Eowyn the harlet she tries to steal Aragorn from Arwen damn her and am i the only 1 who likes the Uruk Hai
Old 01-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #16
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Lothlorien?????? Legolas is from Mirkwood..............thought I'd just point that out... <p>[ January 27, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]
Old 01-28-2003, 12:20 AM   #17
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas is in fact the prince of the elves of Mirkwood.<BR>And one more slur on Eowyn's caracter and you're not undead, you're really dead. <P>oh, and I'm pretty sure I laughed when that happened. It just didn't look physically possible.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 12:34 AM   #18
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sorry, Meela, the "Leggy" in the shot was completely computer-generated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was under the impression that it was simply filmed backwards then superimposed onto the image.<P>A CG character would have moved more precisely, but looked less human...elvish...whatever.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 08:03 PM   #19
i*love*orli
Pile O'Bones

Location: Some place in Texas wishing that i was with orlando bloom
i*love*orli has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to i*love*orli
Eye

I thought i was actually paying attention to EVERY scene with him in it, but i guess not. However--i did think the skate boarding part was cool. I mean, how could it NOT BE?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:09 AM   #20
Frieda
Haunting Spirit

Frieda has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frieda
Sting

When I went people in the theatre laughed...and I agreed, it was a bit funny.
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:06 AM   #21
Krumbad The Slobberer

Sting

Tar-Palantir -<P>Not according to one of the producers:<BR> <A HREF="http://filmforce.ign.com/lotr/articles/382/382190p1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://filmforce.ign.com/lotr/articles/382/382190p1.html</A> <P>And if it was filmed backwards, would that involve a stunt double dismounting and then swinging in front of a running horse? Tricky at best, dangerous no matter how you look at it. And definitely not something they'd ask one of the lead actors to do.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:47 AM   #22
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hello Krumbad,<P>That link says absolutely nothing about how the shot was filmed. And no, of course a stuntman doesn't jump in front of a moving horse. Just like old Legolas isn't riding a 'real' Cave Troll. He was standing on box. Whoever performed the horse stunt, if it wasn't Orlando, could have just as easily dismounted from a barrell or stationary prop some kind. It's quite common - though usually the prop is blue screened, but in this case the image was superimposed (for lack of a technical term).<P>I guess I'll have to hunt down a definitive source somewhere, unless someone wants to back me up???
Old 01-30-2003, 03:33 AM   #23
Krumbad The Slobberer

Shield

I tried Googling "weta legolas horse" and this is all I've found so far - doesn't really go into detail but it does say it's a CG shot:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/special_packages/lord_of_the_rings/4758941.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/special_packages/lord_of_the_rings/4758941.htm</A>
Old 01-30-2003, 08:26 AM   #24
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Just like old Legolas isn't riding a 'real' Cave Troll. He was standing on box. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you sure about this? It looked computer-generated to me: I didn't get the feeling that we were seeing a stunt-double doing a live-action stunt which was pasted into the troll shot.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #25
Krumbad The Slobberer

Sting

In one of the extra features on one of the dvds, Orli says that the troll shot was done using live action from the waist up and a CG for the legs - could explain why the shot looks as choppy as it does.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:00 AM   #26
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks. That shot wasn't as smooth as the others due to the nature of the action--however, it's amazing what we consider a messed-up shot these days. The whole sequence was amazing, in the Tomb. [Must wait for Extended DVD Release this year!]
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:55 AM   #27
Ithildin
Pile O'Bones

Ithildin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

yes, it was pretty cool!! some of my friends who don't have a relationship with JRRTs books, said it was pretty silly and ridicoulus... <BR>hello? he is an elf and since he's been walking the world for 2000 years, he should know this things by now <BR>right?
Ithildin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:11 AM   #28
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Thanks for the links Krumbad. I really wish I could remember more specifically what I heard of that shot. But it does sound CG from that last article you put up. cheers.<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Old 01-31-2003, 05:58 PM   #29
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I thought that it was cool hoe Legolas "jumped" up onto his horse. I mean considering the reason why they did it that way its pretty ingenious of PJ to do that. It was toataly unecpected when he did that, the whole crowd was like WHOA!! It was cool. I also liked how he slides down the stars on the shield, so cool.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:36 PM   #30
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Sting

I liked the shield bit, the horse bit, even when he runs up the cave trolls chain in the 1st one. So did everyone else due to the sounds of the.. "Whoa!!"