The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2003, 09:48 PM   #1
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting Arwen or Glorfindel???!!!

hEy --<P>In the book, it was Glorfindel, not Arwen that came to help Aragorn and the Hobbits at the fords near Rivendell. So my question is:<P>Who would you rather have play that part in the story: Arwen or Glorfindell. And why, of course....
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glorfindel, simply because he was one of the coolest charcters in the book. Also, the "If you want him, come and claim him" line was poor.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
elven maiden earwen

Sting

glorfindel- i have no problem with Arwen playing the role and my little sis loves her but if i could have ether one i would have Glorfindel play it because<BR>1)hes cool<BR>2)he died defending his people <BR>3)he has been in middle earth for a long time<BR>4)and he is way cooler than arwen i mean comon
Old 02-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

Glorfindel. I like how it is in the books.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #5
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This may sound strange but my view is that a change to Arwen wouldn't have been so bad if the nature of the job was different. For instance, if Glorfindel just 'happened by' and helped Frodo get to Rivendell it would have been ok to slip Arwen in there. But it wasn't, it was a dangerous mission with Nazgul running about, hardly a job that Elrond would send Arwen out to accomplish. That is my beef. Other than that I like Arwen in the movies.<P>RotK may suffer from the same poor judgement with Arwen's delivery of Anduril, the Standard, and possible battle.<p>[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Glorfindel of course. It's the way Tolkien intended, and it's the way it should have been.<p>[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie ]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #7
Vorrothiel
Pile O'Bones

Vorrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
I think I wanted to Glorfindel to come to the fords, but why they but Arwen there instead was because they wanted to include Arwen more in FOTR.In the book Arwen is barely mentioned. And if they had put Glorfindel there it had been very many characters to relate to and that had been very confusing. (For poeple that had not read the book) In the animated LOTR, it is Legolas that comes to the ford and "rescues" them. I would have liked if it was Legolas that came to them... *thi hi*
Vorrothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I probably would go with Glorfindel, even though I do not mind Arwen, but I wish it was the way it was in the book. The book version I though was better, because there was other differences too. Like the movie made Frodo look very weak, and in the book he was weak but not that weak. He was actually able to ride the horse across the Ford. So I wish it was the way that it was in the book.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I think the best way I can express my feelings is with these two words: It works. <P>The movie version of Frodo isn't all too defiant. PJ stated that the main point of FOTR was Frodo's relationship with the ring. So, the screenwriters chose to have Eli play Frodo kinda wussy, which is fine because IT WORKS. I appreciate and LOVE Tolkein's writing, but in the provided screentime, I don't think the audience would quite understand a live-action version of Frodo - he's too complex.<P>In the books, I love Glorfindel. He's a great character and provides depth, wisdom and presence in his book scenes. In the films, I like the Arwen scene. It supports the movie-version of Frodo and at the same time helps build character, credibility and the viwer's respect for the movie-version of Arwen. Even if that has to evoke a few oooh's and ahhh's.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Given that the film-makers (for understandable reasons, in my view) chose to extend the role of Arwen, it makes perfect sense for Arwen to be the central figure in this pivotal scene in FotR. Had she not been the one to rescue Frodo, she would have had precious little to do in the film, and that would have run completely counter to the idea of playing up the romance with Aragorn in this and the subsequent films.<P>OK, so not everybody agrees with the extension of Arwen's role in the films. However, even if this hadn't been done, it still would have made little sense to introduce Glorifindel at this point, since he had no role to play in the remainder of the story. (Yes, he could have commanded the Elvish battalion that turns up at Helms Deep, but that would have made less sense than having Haldir fulfil this role.) If Arwen had not had a central role, it would have made most sense to have Legolas replace Glorfindel, as they did in the animated film. So, no Glorfindel either way.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:03 PM   #11
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Maybe it wasn't to establish Arwen as a character as early as possible. In fact, a 'grand unveiling' at Rivendell might have proven more powerful cinematically.<P>I propose that the replacement of Glorfindel was to establish Arwen's stealth, talent with a blade, bravery and equestrian skills. Now that we know she was intended to take part in the defense at Helm's Deep, and that she will appear in RotK, presumably with more to do than attending a wedding, it is not far fetched to trace back PJ's designs to her initial introduction.<P>thoughts?
Old 02-02-2003, 08:54 PM   #12
Darkside
Animated Skeleton

Darkside has just left Hobbiton.
Tar-Palantir, I completely agree with the 'grand unveiling' idea. I loved the exchange of glances that Tolkien wrote about. Peter Jackson could have still done his little 'love scenes' and Arwen wouldn't be the Little Warrior Princess. And I wouldn't have had to hear that dreadful "If you want him, come and claim him" nonsense. <P>This would also bring Glorfindel back into the flim. I don't quite see how he would be confusing to people. "Elrond sent me" or something like that would establish enough of who he was. And I also don't quite understand why he would have to show up again. Characters can, and do, have minor (albeit in Glorfindel's case, not so minor) roles to play without being in the entire film. I just don't think it would have been so difficult! <P>Sorry if that was a bit wordy. In a nutshell, I prefer Glorfindel to Arwen.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:03 PM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have prefered Glorfindel though I think it was the right decision to put in Arwen, she needed a bigger roll. In the book we have the luxery of reading the appendix to flush out her relationship with Aragorn. Jackson doesn't have that luxery.<P>I think it was better then the animated film where they replaced Glorfindel with Legolas.<P>H.C.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:11 AM   #14
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

eleniwilwarin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would have prefered Glorfindel there i think p.j. made Arwen wrong I like her more in the books than in the film....
Old 02-03-2003, 06:49 AM   #15
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Glorfindel definitely. He is the king of the Elves, both among the living and on the other side and very powerfull. Arwen is old, but not that old, and he could never have such powers, especially as Elrond, Glorfindel and Gandalf worked together to defend the ford from the Nazgul. I think Arwen's OK otherwise.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:51 AM   #16
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm sorry, I meant SHE could never have such powers (Arwen). My mistake...
Old 02-03-2003, 09:22 AM   #17
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Calavanya, what Elves is Glorfindel the King of? He was a capatain of Turgon and a lord of Rivendell, and I'm pretty sure Glorfindel is described as being a prince by Gandalf, though we know nothing of his parentage.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #18
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Well, if I was PJ...I'd go on a diet and get some exercise... No, no, no. If I was PJ I would have left Glorfindel in and had Arwen appear in splendid glory in Rivendell, after Frodo awakens. Not that people wouldn't still complain about her having lovey dovey scenes with Aragorn in Rivendell. I'm sure there would still be threads against her, but maybe it would have cut down on the death threats and such.<P>But the way PJ did do it is fine with me. Either way, I'm cool with it. Or apathetic, I'm not sure.<P>But, now to the totally evil and diabolical reason I'm making this post. If Glorfindel was in the movie, you who want to see him because of his Elven lordship and/or book faithfulness, do realize that you'd have to pay a heavy price for having him in the movie, don't you?<P>Yes, you know of what I speak...<P><B>Glorfy Gurlz!</B><P><I>*lighting bolt, thunder crash, and blood curdling scream*</I><P>A delightful little addition to the Legolusters, Haldiraholics and Figwit Fanantics, Glorfy Gurlz would come to the downs ready to drool on and on about the sex appeal of Glorfindel and the obligartorily good looking actor who would have played him. We would meet screennames such as:<P>glorfy's*gurl*4*eva<BR>glorfylicious<BR>'Fin delFan<BR>I_luv_glofi<BR>Mrs. Glorfindel<P>See new topics such as:<P>Leggy vs. Glorfy<BR>Orly vs. [insert actor nickname]<BR>Honk if you want to get jiggy with both at the same time.<BR>Legolas, Glorfindel, Haldir and Figwit; wouldn't they make a great boy band?<P>Et cetera. I mean, you know Glorfindel would be played by someone "hot", wearing a blonde wig. Haldir isn't even good looking, and <I>he</I> has a following, and I still don't know just who Figwit is! Ol' Glorfy would definitly be a chick magnet. Heck, he already is...<P>But then the backlash against that would be sissy jokes about him, gay jokes, and everything else that plagues the once cool Legolas character. Herbal Essence, anyone?<P>So anyway, this is one thing that may make the bitter Arwen pill easier to swallow for you. Just think of the Glorfy Gurlz, and if that isn't enough to give you nightmares I don't know what is... <I>*wicked laughter*</I>
Old 02-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #19
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

*jumps up and down girlishly clapping hands*<P>I *love* this concept!
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #20
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I have seen the light! Let us all join hands and thank Diamond for helping us to understand how blessed we are by the presence of Arwen! Hoorah! Long live Arw.. uh... I mean Diamond! <P>Thank you also for illustrating so expertly the restraint we fans of Arwen/Eowyn/Galadriel show on a daily basis. <P>Ps- do you know how I can change my screenname? I was thinking of either:<P>"Galadri-licious" or<P>"A*U*A" (Arwen Undomiel's Army)<P>Which one do you like?
Old 02-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #21
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Thumbs up

Galadri-licious, definitely. <P>And thank you. It came to me when reading the threads about the Legolas fangirls.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:31 PM   #22
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>A delightful little addition to the Legolusters, Haldiraholics and Figwit Fanantics, Glorfy Gurlz would come to the downs ready to drool on and on about the sex appeal of Glorfindel and the obligartorily good looking actor who would have played him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Certainly is a perspective I can appreciate! Thanks Diamnond!<P>BWUAHAHAHAHA!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:19 PM   #23
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glorfy Gurlz may still have a hope.<P>I noticed on the special edition DVD, in one of the design documentaries, they did design some sort of crest for Glorfindel even though I strongly suspect he was written out of the script at an early stage. I'm pretty sure you can spot him as a long, dark haired elf sitting next to Elrond at the council scene.<P><A HREF="http://www.classicxf.com/images/FOTR/rivendell/117council.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> might be a shot of him on Elrond's left. What do you think?<P>H.C.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:28 PM   #24
Elladan Peredhil
Animated Skeleton

Elladan Peredhil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

This will probably sound really redundant after what everyone else has said, but I'd have preferred to see Glorfindel in the movie, even if just to keep closer to Tolkien's vision of the story. While I can understand PJ's wanting to make the story a little more contemporary (since when this was written, women generally didn't work outside the home), I still think he could have found other ways to bring this about. <P>Just my two cents. *climbs off the soap box*
Elladan Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 10:56 PM   #25
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

HC, I always wondered what was so special about that Elf that he got to sit right next to Elrond.<P>Could it be??????
Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 PM   #26
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well, then which one is Fiwit? Nevermind, I don't think I even want to know....
Old 02-04-2003, 12:53 AM   #27
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Question

I think I heard somewhere that Figwit sits next to Legolas.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:26 AM   #28
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Who the hell is 'Figwit'?

Old 02-04-2003, 09:41 AM   #29
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

I think the elf to Elrond's right might be Erestor?? I certainly hope it wasn't supposed to be Glorfindel because he looks terrible (no offence...well not much much meant)
Old 02-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #30
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I personally prefer Arwen. Of course, it's just because she's another strong woman, but I loved the "If you want him, come and claim him" line, and the horses were awesome. And at least those who haven't read the books can think more than just "Oh, there's Aragorn's girl".
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:02 PM   #31
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Who the hell is 'Figwit'? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just one of those Elves that were at the Council of Elrond. I think he sat next to Legolas. But that's my point: this non-character actually has a fangirl website, imagine what we would have to suffer through for Glorfindel.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:06 PM   #32
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

So how come poor Celeborn gets no fangurlz?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:09 PM   #33
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Eight there are, but nine set out from Rivendeeeeeeeeeeell...zzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Old 02-04-2003, 07:21 PM   #34
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

And what about Gil-Galad? He is a good looking elf! hehehe... Now that I think about it, don't you think he looked like he'd make a better Elrond?