The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-10-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Big Easy MistakeTo Spot

In TTT Faramir gets a map out of Rohan, Gondor and Mordor and says to a Gondorian soldier that, "Sauron attacks Gondor from the east and Sauraman attacks Rohan from the west." But hang on, how the hell would he know this. It happened only a few days before and it took even Gandalf on Shadowfax at least two days to travel from Rohan to Gondor. Also, Theoden told Aragorn that no messengers would be sent to Minas Tirith for help at Helms Deep. Therefore Denethor doesn't know about Saurman's attack on Rohan.<P>I guess what im trying to say is this: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?<p>[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 02-10-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

possibility 1) Denethor has a Palantir<P>possibility 2) Gandalf sent a rider<P>possibility 3) Faramir is in league with Saruman<p>[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's the palatir one. This was posted on a mistake site. Chances are, if Denethor's been chatting via the palantir, he knows something about Saruman's plot.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Wouldn't Farimir know that saruman had betrayed them before the battle of helms deep
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Along the same lines, Theoden goes of in his little "where was Gondor" rant. Now, if he didnt send out riders, how could he of informed Gondor of the situation? Surley he did not know of the palantir in Minas Tirith?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A few weeks ago, during a moment of boredom, I put together a Two Towers time line. It ain't perfect, but as far as the Faramir questions mentioned above, it works.<P><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/hcisland/tttime.htm" TARGET=_blank>Time Line</A><P>H.C.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #7
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

i think Faramir might simply mean that Saruman is attacking Rohan in general terms and not actually Helm's Deep. I mean, Saruman had been destroying Rohan (Eomer said so) for some time before the battle. This must have been noticed by Gondor.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Surley he did not know of the palantir in Minas Tirith? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He wouldn't learn from Theoden. There was a Palantir in Orthanc, with Saruman. So that is how Denethor would see it.<P>And though it cannot be proven filmwise, I think Gandalf was smart enough to send word to Gondor. Remember when Eomer brought the Uruk helm with the mark of the White Hand to Theoden? At this point Saruman's treachery is common knowledge to the people of Rohan (who's villages were being sacked), Eomer and the Riders of the Mark, Theoden, Gandalf, Aragorn, etc.... Plenty of candidates to somehow get the word to Gondor. Faramir did not know Saruman was attacking Helm's Deep, just that he was attacking Rohan, which began much earlier than the battle of the Hornburg.<P>Maybe Arwen appeared in Faramir's dreams and told him!! <p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote