The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2003, 07:39 AM   #1
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting McKellen on Frodo

I found this very interesting quote from Ian McKellen regarding the character of Frodo and Elijah Wood's portrayal of him. I'm curious what others think of this.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> In creating Frodo, Tolkien may well have been thinking back to the First World War and the lads who went on a terrible journey from which many never returned. Elijah reminds me of those statues of idealized young men on war-memorials throughout the world: more sublime than human and with a comlextion of molten marble.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>H.C.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HC- That is interesting, thank you for posting it. I really like that idea, for some reason it paints a pleasing picture of Frodo in my head, whether it is accurate or not. The problem for me is Elijah Wood, I think his look is decent, but I don't like his acting. But he might be being directed that way by PJ, so I'm not gonna knock him too much, but the bravery and strength departments both seem to be lacking a bit, He never really gives off that vibe. Occasionally there is resolution, reservation and joviality. <B>So far</B> there has been no demonstrable heroic quality (save for his mercy on Smeagol) so I don't see Elijah as a majestic statue, but I <B>do</B> see Frodo as one. Does that make sense?
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tar-Palantir: I understand completely what you are saying. I useually try to forget about it and just enjoy the movie. However, Elijah is good looking enouph to make up for any problems with his acting, but that is just me. And I do think that PJ probebly gave him some direction as well.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah I kind of see it that way too. That is one of the major problems I have had with these films is that Frodo has not been the Frodo that is in the books. Even when I read the books, I don't think of the movie Frodo, I think of a different Frodo. I think Elijah is a great actor, and probably most of the fault would probably fall on Peter Jackson and the screenwriters, hey in the next movie maybe it will be different (maybe, *hopes*)
Old 02-16-2003, 10:46 AM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the thoughts on the quote. I really liked it and found it very astute. Not for the heroic aspect of Frodo's character, but to represent what Frodo loses because of this war.<P>As for movie Frodo's heroism, I also felt the most couragious thing that Frodo does in the book is when he makes the decision to take the Ring alone, and I felt that was handled beautifully in the film. He was sort of robbed of his other chances and heroism thus far because of plot changes. Arwen stands up to the Nazgul, not Frodo and the way the cave troll is handled doesn't give Frodo his chance to shine either. Barrow Wights are also gone. Maybe Shelob. I guess it doesn't really bother me as Frodo was never one of my favourites, in fact, I find him starting to grate on me as he and Sam journey through Mordor.<P>My wife and I always joke about how the actors that played the hobbits were given all this sword training but the only time Frodo actually swings a sword thus far in the films is a defensive swipe at the cave troll's hand, and there isn't much more opportunity coming either.<P>H.C.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:19 AM   #6
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think I'd agree that the way in which Frodo left the Company in the movie was handled <I>well</I>, but I would say it was handled OK. Movie-Frodo left fully aware that his friends and companions were under attack by a large force of Uruk-hai - something I feel Book-Frodo would not have even considered.<P>And I agree with Tar-Palantir as well and credit Elijah Wood's lack of nobility in his portrayal of Frodo to his failure to read the book. Even if he had been given the direction from Jackson to be a weinie, I think if he had taken the time to read the book, he may have argued a little about the direction and MAYBE won a few shreds of dignity for Movie-Frodo. (Although, I must admit that he <I>is</I> pretty to look at!)<P>Like everyone else, I'm hoping for better things in RotK, but am not terribly optimistic. I don't see where Jackson left much opportunity for the redemption of Frodo and it makes me very sad to know that so many people will now view Frodo in light of this movie portrayal.
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HC - If you listen to the actor's commentary on FoTR - Extended Ed., McKellan says that in the Council of Elrond scene, when Frodo stands and announces that he will take the Ring, P.J. asked that his reaction be "like a father hearing for the first time that his son has volunteered to go to war" - which he accomplished very well. I always liked the reaction on Sir Ian's face when Elijah says that line. <P>As for Frodo's courage in the film: that was the one scene where he actually got to demonstrate it. I'm surprised that P.J., Fran, and all didn't write a scene where Gandalf and Elrond strong-arm Frodo into taking the thing.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:46 PM   #8
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, yes, I completely agree! Frodo's no hero! :rollseyes<P>After all, how can one be considered a hero unless he is swinging a long sword and lopping heads, or firing arrows with the speed of thought, or can blast his adversaries with lightning and fire?<P>Heroes are afraid of nothing! Why, Frodo does everything in a state of continuing fear, running from Nazgul, fending off a cave troll, fleeing from a Balrog, being chased by orcs, enduring the chance of Gollum's treachery, facing down Shelob, crossing the toxic plain at the feet of Mt. Doom with the Eye of Sauron bearing down upon him... Why, that miserable wimp was afraid of every little thing that came his way! Some hero!<P>All Frodo, even the movie-Frodo does is take his burden of absolute evil into the wild with only a bodyguard, er, gardener, at his side. All Frodo does is face the horrifying soul-shrivelling power of the Ring minute after grinding minute until all else fades into misery and despair. All Frodo does is sacrifice his happiness and hope for the sake of everyone else.<P>Nah. He's obviously no hero at all. <p>[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 02-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've read a lot of neat quotes, but I've never seen that one. Pretty cool. Frodo from the book is definitely more "courageous" than the movie Frodo, who spends most of his time on his back looking into the eyes of orcs, cave trolls, and Ringwraiths. Poor Fellow. Couldn't hold a sword to save his life.