The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Obi-Wan And Gandalf

DOn't you think that Obi-Wan Kenobi(Episode 4) is exactly Gandalf. They are exactly the same! If I didn't know better I would think they are played by the same guy, but Obi-Wan died...
Old 07-13-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

Ok, what exactly are you getting at? i'm gonna go fast so that i can be the first to post! ok, their characters are very similar, dress, and mannorisms. But, no, they do not look alike, if that's what you meant at all. and, just for the books, GANDALF is soooooo much better than obi-won.
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:34 PM   #3
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

They remind me of each toher sooooooo much. And Obi-Wan might beat Gandalf. He has the power of the force.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Actually they are more similar than you think. Obi-Wan was "defeated" in Ep. IV but returned to guide Luke. Gandalf does return after the first "episode" to guide the other members of the fellowship who are perhaps as mismatched as the group in Star Wars who set out to stop their very own Dark Lord.
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #5
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

And why exactly are we discussing something of this matter in a LotR forum??? Oh well, Obi may hjave the Force, but Gandalf has the power of Eru on his side.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #6
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

As for who would win? Obi-Wan indeed has or had the force but Gandlaf has a force of his own, don't forget his actual purpose in ME and the power he himself possesed.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, but The Force had both a light and a dark side, whereas Eru had only light...<P>There ARE similarities between Istari and Jedi, between Gandalf and Obi Wan, but only superficial ones. The entire concept of how they derived their power -- which is kind of the underlying basis of Tolkien -- is very different.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:17 PM   #8
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Goro, you are right. Both 'died' and came back stronger than before. If they hadn't 'died' they wouldn't have defeated the nemesis.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #9
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Evenstar1 i do believe that the underlying value of Tolkien's work is how the power derived, as you put it, but the plots are similar. I don't mean to offend anyone and of couorse i find Tolkien's books far superior to that of the Star Wars galaxy but both tell of a time other than now and how a group of unlikely heroes defeat the evil power in their world, be it that the evil power is Sauron or the Sith. Both stories are about corruption of good and the innocent in want of total control or domination of their world in it's entirety. In LOTR we see the Dark lord put his power into a ring which he uses to corrupt the races of ME and in SW we see a Dark Lord corrupted with the Dark Side try to turn others and control what he believes his, just as Sauron does. Granted though Sauron was of course more sucessful and that story far deeper.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:50 PM   #10
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If you're all saying Lucas copied Tolkien, I heard Lucas was actually inspired by a Japanese movie (by the guy who did <I>The Seven Samurai</I>)
Old 07-14-2002, 03:47 PM   #11
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lucas based SW around ideas drawn from multi-cultural sources (including the Seven Samurai guy) and the "hero's journey". Its a basic structure derived from myth and legends all over the world, which are found to have common plot structure: heroes, loss of innocence, mentors, sacrifice, etc. Obi-Wan and Gandalf are both terrific examples of the "Mentor" model: strong, wise characters who have to be lost so the "hero" can achieve a sense of independance and be pushed on to further action. but they have to come back and achieve peace and fulfilment. I'm not saying either writer has plagarised anyone; this model is found the world over and is one of the most natural to us, as every fairy-tale has one. Obi-Wan and Gandalf are two spectacular examples of a simple template given a great depth and individuality.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:36 PM   #12
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good points, Gorothlammothiel! And well-summarized, Gayalondiel!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:49 PM   #13
ElfEarz
Animated Skeleton

ElfEarz has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

no no no gandalf is not better then obi-wan i dont know who would win cuz gandalf is powerful but obi-wan has the force plus his lightsaber could melt gandalf's sword so weapons wouldnt do anything but gandalf is powerful like i said. i think they are equal. and isnt gandalf in Lotr? duh! so this topic does have to do with lotr.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:25 PM   #14
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

Ok, I admit they are closer than i had thought. They whole death and stronger thing, and the power of whatever, and then the helping of someone...you catch my drift. But still, Gandalf is by far better. LOTR is By far better than SW, ya know???
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:15 AM   #15
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

Anorien I don't think that is to be said in here (your last comment) as you will start a possibly heated debate on how no one can like both LOTR and SW, which of course is nonsense because they are different in thier own rights (not that I mean to contradict what has already been said in here because now it's a different matter).
Old 07-23-2002, 08:25 AM   #16
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Gandalf not only hasd the power of Eru, but he's also a Maia and has power of his own. Plus, he would need a sword to degeat Obi Wan.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:11 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

But anyway, what would happen, is that Obi-Wan and Gandalf would look each other in the eye, and Obi-Wan would say something like "The Force is strong in you, " and Gandalf would say something like "I am Gandalf The Grey, I have come to bring you aid!" And then they'd say a few more polite things, sit down, put their heads to gether and discuss the political/ military/ spiritual rammifications of the current situation. Then they'd team up, and "whomp-the-whey" out of the bad guys.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:20 PM   #18
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

Or, if there were no bad guys, sit down with a cup of tea/kava and have a long, involved discussion on the role of the spirit in the universe.

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Naaramare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 08:02 PM   #19
Knight_Link

Pipe

yes, they are kinda alike the ay of giving council and getting inecennt ppl involved in dangerous things, but OBI WAN IS THE BEST!!!! im sry, but i REALLY dont like gandalf that much (sry to nobody if she reads this!!!) i dont think they looks very much alike obi wan looks young when you look at him...well, not young, but not old and gandalf is just....well, lets just say he looks like hes been around longer than the valar...:P
Old 07-23-2002, 08:51 PM   #20
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Ring

Gandalf reminds me of a lot of people cuz hes an old smart guy and lots of movies have old smart guys
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:50 AM   #21
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Unfortinately there are so many of them, I've actually had someone tell me Tolkien used nothing new.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:18 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I don't like the religion of Star Wars. Too New Age, versus the basis of LotR was Tolkien's Christian roots. <P>And besides, Gandalf was impowered by Eru, Illuvatar, and had purpose. Ob-Wan used some old "Force" battery. And also, Gandalf fights better. He also has a staff besides his sword. He would win in a fight. (Though Obi-Wan having superior technology, I suppose the light-saber could cut right through the blade...maybe not, if it's a Gandalf blade...dunno)<P><Dave Ducks lest he be hit by vegatables thrown by angry Star Warped Fans...>
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:57 PM   #23
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my opinion, Gandalf is better for two simple reasons:<P>1. He doesn't need a sword, and he definitely doesn't need the Force. Maia vs. human (even if that human is a Jedi) is pretty much no contest at all. If Gandalf had a notion, Obi-Wan would fry.<P>2. None of his students turned to the Dark Side while under his tutelage. You could argue that Frodo eventually gave in to the Ring...but that was after Gandalf "died". Obi-Wan's first student turned to the Dark Side and basically helped destroy the galaxy, and his second very nearly turned (or, if you read the books, did eventually turn) and would have continued where the first one left off.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:22 PM   #24
Gorothlammothiel

Pipe

I'm sorry to go right into Star Wars now but Emni Windrunner, you say that Obi-Wan failed both the Padawan learners he taught.<P>Although Anakin is undisputed, Luke was another matter. He was not taught in the Jedi arts by Obi-Wan. It was Yoda with the assistance of Obi-Wan. And on that topic, recently revealed is that not only did Luke go to the Dark Side having been trained by Yoda, but Count Dooku having been Yoda's padawan also turned and was responisible for Anakin's later choices. <P>However I do still believe that Gandalf had the superior power, just had to point that out and defend Obi-Wan.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:01 AM   #25
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

cookie_crazy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forget it buddy! No one is better than Obi Wan(that is the young one). But noooooo Alec Guiness looks soooooo much more convincing as Obi Wan(no make-up)than Ian McKellen with Gandalf. Sorry to everyone but it's almost true.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:37 AM   #26
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like sw and obi-wan but i never thought of how alike obi-wan and Gandalf are. both die and get stronger, give advice clouded in mystery ... But obi can't compare with Gandalf

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:24 AM   #27
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm...I used to be a huge StarWars fan....but now I'm 100% LotR. I'd have to say Gandalf is much better. But there are many similar things between them both.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 03:03 PM   #28
Emni Windrunner
Haunting Spirit

Emni Windrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not saying that Obi-Wan failed both of his students. I'm saying that he had a knack for choosing bad material to work with. Not having seen Ep. II, I can't comment on Yoda and Dooku, but having read many of the SW EU books, Luke relies much more on the guidance he received from Obi-Wan than on his instruction from Yoda. He looks back and remembers what Yoda taught, but "Ben" made much more of an impact on him. IMHO, if Obi-Wan landed in Middle Earth, he wouldn't have hesitated to take on Boromir as a student, and instead of trying to teach Boromir some humility and farsight, he would teach him a few handy tricks, then be shocked and horrified when Boromir gave into the temptation of the Ring. Gandalf, by contrast, saw it coming a mile away, and while he certainly hoped for the best, had he been at Amon Hen, he wouldn't have been surprised at what happened there.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:38 AM   #29
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I was gonna start a thread on similarities between SW and LOTR, but it looks like I might get booed off the stage! However many comparisons you make between Lucas' and Tolkien's worlds, the most important similarity is that they were both trying to create a modern myth. Some stories that people would enjoy, could learn from, and would pass on. They both succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. In fact, if Tolkien had any idea how it would all turn out, I wonder if he still would have written the book? <P>I'm one person who strongly believes you can love both Tolkien and Star Wars, I know of one or two others, as well, you just need to be open-minded. The similarities are endless, especially after you've seen LOTR in movie form. Whenever I watch FOTR I keep expecting Gandalf to say "Before the dark times. Before the Empire... I mean, Sauron!"<P>As for Obi-Wan versus Gandalf, wouldn't Gandalf versus Darth Vader or Obi-Wan versus Sauron be more appropriate? I don't think anyone in Middle-Earth could possibly stop a lightsaber-wielding Jedi. Maybe Ulmo.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:11 PM   #30
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh yes... Obi Wan and Gandalf have so much in common. They were both played by gay actors.