The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-31-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Corniest lines in LOTR

Which line do you think was the corniest in any of the Lord of the Rings movies and why? Sorry, I can't think of any right now, but I'm just curious to see your opinion.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:28 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

its not a line, but that Shadowfax bit... *shudders*<P>those lines legolas kept on spurting out. eg.<BR>"they runs as if the very whips of their masters were behind them"<P>oh, and this is one of my favourite lines, but it deserves a Corny Award:<P>"Let her take the ship to the undying lands. there it will be evergreen!"
Old 03-31-2003, 03:15 AM   #3
ElephantTIG&Co

1420!

hmmm... well i cant think of any either at the moment but i'll be interested to see what some ppl come up with <P>
Old 03-31-2003, 03:48 AM   #4
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Let's hunt some orc." *cringes*
Old 03-31-2003, 05:22 AM   #5
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Hmm, so many.<BR>Legolas: "A shadow and a threat have been growing in my mind..."<BR>"A red dawn. Blood has been spilled this night."<BR>Pretty much anything he says. (I did sorta like the "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" phrase)<BR>Aragorn: "Let's hunt some orc."<BR>"What do your elf eyes see?"<BR>Merry: "Tree herders! The shepherds of the forest!"<P>I could name a whole lot more, but it makes me angry.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:44 AM   #6
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"If you want him, come and claim him!"<P>I hate to pick on the movies, but basically anything Arwen says.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:20 AM   #7
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think one of the worst lines is when Galadriel says in Frodo's head<P>"Welcome, Frodo Baggins of the Shire. One who has seen the eye!"<P>Basically because they made Galadriel WAY too creepy in the movie, and in the books, Frodo NEVER saw the eye until he looked into the Mirror.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #8
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In TT when the Uruks have taken a breather and the one says something about maggotty bread, then that other one goes, "Yeah!" Just the way he says it makes me cringe. Corny city.<P>And then Merry and Pippin's whole forest-dialogue. Oh, I can't believe I'm criticizing them! But it's <I>so stupid!</I><BR>Especially the part where he's all "Trees that could whisper, talk to each other, even MOVE." I absolutely HATE the way he says "Even MOVE!"
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:44 AM   #9
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality." I just wanted to jump up and shout, "WAAAH! Somebody call the WAAAAH-mbulance!" (why not counter a corny line with an even cornier one?) Not that I have anything against Faramir or anything, but... guh.<P>Another one that had me itching to jump up and shout, "Naaaah, REALLY!?" was: "There is a foul voice on the air!"
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:00 AM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli-"Not the beard!"<BR>And many others, the "Let's go hunt some orc" was the line that when I first saw the movie I was saying to myself that it was the cornest line in the entire movie. Additionally how did Merry get all smart about the ents, he just seemed to know everything about them. I forgot how much that "and MOVE" line annoys me.<p>[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-31-2003, 12:05 PM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Just about anything Arwen says. Especially when she shows up to help "rescue" Frodo. I just wanted to stand up and scream, "WE KNOW HE'S NOT GONNA LAST!! JUST GET YOUR PASTY BUTT ON THAT HORSE AND GET OUT OF HERE!" Honestly...
Old 03-31-2003, 12:26 PM   #12
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*laughs* I know exactly what you mean, SF. I'm thinking "Maybe if you hadn't spent so much time teasing Aragorn and trying to slit his throat, and taunting Ringwraiths, you might have gotten Frodo to Rivendell before he threw up all over himself

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:47 PM   #13
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In TT when the Uruks are taking a break, and they have that fight amongest themsevles. The head Uruk says, "Looks like meat is back on the menu boys!!" OMG I just don't see them saying that. <BR>Oh yea and when Legolas says, "A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." Its like oh please!!!<p>[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Evenstar the Fair ]
Old 03-31-2003, 05:59 PM   #14
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

"You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring..."<P>Ai Elbereth Githoniel, but I cringe everytime Elrond says that!<P>BTW, I like the <I>"Let's hunt some orc!"</I> line...<P>Another cringe-wronthy line even if it's more gross than corny is <I>"Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!"</I> I mean can they make the orcs <B>MORE</B> disgusting than that???<p>[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 PM   #15
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Toss me. You gotta toss me."<P>Corny moments:<P>Lurtz licking his own blood off the elvish knife.<P>Gandalf on a rearing Shadowfax in front of the rising sun.<P>-Lily
Old 03-31-2003, 07:10 PM   #16
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

<B>Arwen:</B><BR>The light of the Evenstar does not wax and wane. It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart. Go to sleep. <BR><B>Aragorn:</B><BR>I am asleep. This is a dream. <BR><B>Arwen:</B><BR>Then it is a good dream. Sleep.<P>That whole part was just so... ick...
Old 03-31-2003, 08:31 PM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about the line that Galadriel says to Frodo of "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future", when I heard that one I was like "duh!"
Old 03-31-2003, 08:50 PM   #18
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

'Go to sleep.'<P>I always start cracking up when they get to that part!! The lines are just sooo stupid! Another one:<P>'Ohhh, but you are alone.'<P>Seriously, once I stood up and shouted, 'No she's not! You're right there!'<P>Here's my favorite line:<P>'You're supposed to be dead!'<P>The way Viggo says that is hilarious!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:07 PM   #19
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

You guys are going to trample me dead when I post this, but I don't think that any of the <I>lines</I> are actually corny. I thought there were maybe 2, 3, maybe 4 lines that the actors didn't deliver well, but not the lines themselves were the problem.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:34 PM   #20
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah, I like most of the corny lines too, especially Legolas's. "Meat's on the menu" was great! I do snicker over "One who has seen the EYE" hee hee!
Old 03-31-2003, 10:53 PM   #21
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The corniest line has to be<BR>a red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night.<BR>oh and the whole this is a dream stuff, I mean how stupid can you get?<BR>there are loads more but I can't think of them right now
Old 03-31-2003, 11:17 PM   #22
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I do snicker over "One who has seen the EYE" hee hee!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I enjoy messing with mom's head that way. "Welcome, my mother. One who has seen the EEEEEEEEEEYE!" and I get this really freaky look on my face and kinda hiss it out. So much fun. One of my favorite lines to quote.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:05 AM   #23
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, I liked the Gandalf-Shadowfax thing, but only cuz it looked really neat!<P>Then there was the whole "Theoden King stands alone." Um, no he doesn't! There's about 13 people on horseback riding out with him, dolt!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:26 AM   #24
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring" was indeed a truly god-awful moment. Straight out of Enid Blyton. "you shall be the famous five!"<BR>Also, the whole of Sam's speech at the end of TT. Cheeeeesy.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:53 AM   #25
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, the whole of Sam's speech at the end of TT. Cheeeeesy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Urrrgh... I almost ran out of the cinema.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:28 AM   #26
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Even though Sam's speech at the end was one of the best bits?<P>Anyway, you guys have picked some lines that are right out of Tolkien. The corniest line is easily "If you want him, come and claim him!" It just cannot be beaten!
Old 04-01-2003, 09:25 AM   #27
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The knife-licking is right out of Tolkien, only it was Gorbag or Shagrat. But it's pure orc.<P>The corniest stuff to me was the stuff that the real Frodo Baggins would NEVER say. For instance, Book-Frodo doesn't lie. Ever. <P>To Faramir about Gollum: "There was no other." 'Scuse me? <P>His line to Aragorn in Bree: "I carry nothing." 'Scuse me?<P>Book-Frodo NEVER lies, and if he even has to twist things (as in, Gollum at the pool) he feels guilty as heck. He doesn't lie. To Faramir: "I told no lies, and all the truth I could."<P>As usual, I think Elijah Wood did the best he could with what he had-- but I thought PJ relied way too much on Elijah's mastery of facial expressions and robbed him of a lot of good lines. Elijah Wood can act and act well, but PJ didn't let him very often. Anyway, that's the thing I find corny-- Movie-Frodo is **less** than Book-Frodo. And he didn't have to be.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:03 PM   #28
Finwen
Animated Skeleton

Finwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"You shall be the Fellowship....of the Ring!" <P>Ack... It was just horrible! Especially the music playing at the same time! The cheese was running down the screen and pooling at the bottom... <P>And, of course, "If you want him...come and claim him!" and, "Let's hunt some Orc!", but they go without saying... <P>I think that corny lines largely depend on the way that they're delivered, but some of the lines in FotR and tTT are corny <B>whoever</B> says them!
Finwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #29
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the funniest thing in the movie wasn't a line, but that look elrond gives merry and pippin when they run into his "Secret meeting", he looks like he's thinking "burst into flames, burst into flames, burst into flames"
Old 04-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #30
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

One axe- LOL! <P>I thought Legolas's lines came out sounding very fake. And the whole Aragorn and Arwen dream sequence...just...no. Just...no.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #31
Ascuwen

Sting

Well, i think smas speech atthe eend of TTT wasn't that great. That's a pitty, because in the books it is really great.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:17 PM   #32
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

Another one was when pippin and merry volunteer to join the fellowship, and pippin says "So, where are we going?"
Old 04-01-2003, 01:21 PM   #33
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

HOBBIT BUM RUSH!!!!!<P>3 times in FOTR merry and pippin do what i call the "hobbit rush"<P>Once when merry get's cut by boromir right before the ravens come by<P>Once when they think frodo's dead by the cave troll<P>Once when boromir dies and they attack the Uruk-Hai
Old 04-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #34
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Another one was when pippin and merry volunteer to join the fellowship, and pippin says "So, where are we going?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I thought that line was perfect for that moment. It completely defuses a truly corny (but ultimately necessary) "You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring".<P>I don't know what you mean by the "hobbit rush". Your examples don't clarify it.<P>H.C.<p>[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 04-01-2003, 03:23 PM   #35
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I also liked Pippin's "So, where are we going?" accompanied by <B>that</B> look...makes me laugh every time! (And also a perfect end to the first disc in the extended edition)<BR>One line which does make me cringe is Galadriel's "Even the smallest person ......." Delivered in such a patronising way!
Old 04-01-2003, 03:25 PM   #36
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One line which does make me cringe is Galadriel's "Even the smallest person ......." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I now have images in my head of Frodo slowly getting smaller and smaller and looking up at Galadriel in bewilderment as she says that.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:15 PM   #37
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>he looks like he's thinking "burst into flames, burst into flames, burst into flames"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You make me laugh too hard.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:37 PM   #38
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ElephantTIG&Co: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>ill say tig.. then youll say tag.. then ill say tigtag.. and youll say tug.. but then ill say no! you cant tug on a tigtag.. so youll say tog and ill say tug.. and youll say tigtig.. and ill say tag and youll say tug.. but ill say you cant tug on a tig if you said tigtig before it..get it?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>both you and I watch the Extended commentary to much.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #39
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

One ax to reule them all: <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...Once when boromir dies and they attack the Uruk-Hai...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They <I>do</I>help Boromir before he dies, but it's only shown in the Extended.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 08:05 PM   #40
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The corniest line is easily "If you want him, come and claim him!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Okay, I'll have to contradict this statement by me: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You guys are going to trample me dead when I post this, but I don't think that any of the lines are actually corny. I thought there were maybe 2, 3, maybe 4 lines that the actors didn't deliver well, but not the lines themselves were the problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> But only by a little. I did think the whole "if you want him, come and claim him" thing was cheesy, corny, phony, fake....you get the gist, don't you? But I feel insulted at all of the other ones you guys are saying. I mean, some of the others are slightly corny, but certainly not all. If there were that many corny lines, all that the movie forum would be is a bemoaning of PJs works. Some of these lines that you posted make me crack up when I see them (such as the look on Elrond's face) and I think they're slightly corny, but in a bad way. Still, I don't agree with you people. *dodges rotten eggs*