The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2003, 03:50 PM   #1
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Original Script Review

I was cruising around OneRing when I found a <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/features/script/index.html" TARGET=_blank>review of the original two film script</A> that was submitted to Miramax, the studio that originally was going to do the film and bailed when they thought costs were getting out of hand and wanted to cut back to only one film. PJ refused to do this so the deal was squashed. He repitched the script to New Line who felt that two films was not a good idea, after all there are three films here.<P>Thank god this happened but, now that we've seen two thirds of what PJ has coming to us, it's interesting to look back at the original two script idea. I think it makes you appeciate even more what we got.<P>H.C.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow im glad they changed it! I cant imagine Arwen fighting...I mean it was suprising seeing her running from the nazgul.. but in full combat?! That would have been weird! It would have been quite confusing to me if eowyn replaced eomer!<BR>Now the elves coming to helms deep or the other changes dont seem so bad! I agree, it does make you appreciate what we have.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No Lothlorien would have been very strange. The Fellowship comes to the river, hew some canoes out of tree trunks and paddle on. It's hard to see that working.<P>One added scene that would have been kinda neet was Gollum attacking Frodo on the banks of the river and tearing the Ring from around Frodo's neck before being driven off by the rest. I can see why they would do this with only two movies because Gollum was going to become an important character before the first film was done.<P>A neat thing about this scene is that it was Boromir that picks up the Ring after Gollum's attack. You can see how they took this part of the scene and moved it onto the mountain top.<P>H.C.<p>[ April 12, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 04-12-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes and i suppose they would magically just have the gifts from Galadriel.. which wouldnt make much sense. <P>Also somes of the example lines from Gandalf and Gimli sounded really cheesy and the line:<BR>(frusterated) Arwen: "You stubborn... Man" <P>would have taken the seriousness out of their relationship in my opinion.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:48 AM   #5
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Phew! even Gimli's lines in the film sound good after that, his line on there was awful. <BR>I can't see how the Eomer thing would have worked out either, I mean, would Eowyn have become Queen? I think not.<P>I'm just glad the films are like they are, I have never moaned much about parts and my faith has now been justified.