The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2003, 11:56 PM   #41
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

That reminds me, I liked the version of <I>Alice in Wonderland</I> that aired as a mini-series on NBC a few years back. In that one Martin Short played the Mad Hatter. Anyway, it was somewhat dark in places, which appealed to the Mad Hatter in me. I never really thought of it as fantasy, though.<P>(PS, Birdie: Sorry I haven't responded to your PM—I've been getting error messages whenever I try. And Sharku, you can't possibly reprimand me for straying off topic, as it's <I>your</I> software that's been erring for the past week or so. )
Old 04-30-2003, 11:58 PM   #42
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Funnily enough I also recall enjoying those "muppet" films, Labyrinth (with an enjoyably ridiculous David Bowie)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I came in here solely to post about Labyrinth! Takes me back...<P>Do any of the Brits remember Knightmare? That was possibly my favourite show ever, as a child.<P>Generally speaking, I don't like fantasy or sci-fi that much, Tolkien and Pullman aside. The films I've seen and enjoyed were generally silly, camp and of cult-status, like The Goonies, Labyrinth or Willow. They're fun and I like them, but before Tolkien/Pullman, I never took the genre seriously.<P>Ironic really, becase I despise Farscape.<p>[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: Cazoz ]
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:02 AM   #43
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Also i liked the 1st and 3rd Jurrasic parks. Wasnt too keen on the second one though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're my new best friend. I abhor <I>Jurassic Park: The Lost World</I>. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hey did anyone ever watch The Neverending Story?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, a long time ago. I liked the rock people, but wasn't all that impressed with the sequels.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Can you count Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast as fantasy movies even though they are animated?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>YES! And while we're on the subject of Disney, what's not to love about <I>Sleeping Beauty</I>? It's got one of the greatest Disney villainesses of all time! YES! Maleficent all the way!
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:06 AM   #44
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I liked the [NBC] version of Alice in Wonderland...I never really thought of it as fantasy, though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmmm, Birdie wonders what rabbit holes Diamond's been hanging out in? <P>But I know what you mean. People seem to have developed a stereotype about what fantasy is these days. For one thing: gotta have a wizard. Also, can't be fantasy without a quest...and swordfights...dragon or two...no women unless it's a sword-maiden who just needs a good man...<P>But people in the 19th and early 20th century would have considered most of the children's books of the time fantasy: <I>Bambi, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Water Babies</I>, even <I>The Secret Garden</I> were considered fairy tales, though they don't really contain any of Tolkien's beloved elements.<P>But then, maybe this should be a topic in Books, not movies.<p>[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:35 AM   #45
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Have to disagree with you, Gorwingel, and say I love <B>The Princess Bride</B>. It probably hits my all time favorite fantasy movie spot. How can you resist a tale of "True Wuv"?<P>I thought the BBC Narnia movies were okay, <B>The Silver Chair</B> being the best of them.<P>Also, someone who owns a life-sized cardboard standup of Han Solo couldn't leave out <B>The Empire Strikes Back</B>, the best of the SW films.<P>The 10th Kingdom was okay, Ghormenghast left me <I>very</I> confused, and Labyrinth has not grown on me. <P>In the animated realm, I'm really quite fond of the Pagemaster. Cute and not serious, but still kinda fun. <P>And finally a rousing cheer for SaucepanMan's nomination of <B>Monty Python and the Holy Grail</B>! (although, as a sidenote, my favorite Python skit is the one where the German philosophers play the Greeks in soccer )<P>Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 AM   #46
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ghormenghast left me very confused <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not getting at you, just wondering why.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:02 PM   #47
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In the animated realm, I'm really quite fond of the Pagemaster. Cute and not serious, but still kinda fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pagemaster! With that one word, you've managed to awaken a childhood memory (and that's a really, really good thing)! I saw it in the theaters with my sister and her family when I was rather young and I haven't been able to find it since! *sigh* I really wish I could.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #48
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I meant the new Mummy movies (a little late in repling, I know). But all the Star Wars movies are great as well. I also remembered X-Men and The Recruit were way up there. Jurrasic Park 1 & 2 were my favorites of the triligy. Good night! Everybody hear is talking about 'childhood memories'! That makes me feel really young at 15 years old!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:42 PM   #49
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After seeing RotK id say that the Lord of the Rings was probably the best fantasy movie i have ever seen. I like others and the LotR book was better than the film but i still think its the best. Now seeing all three films do any of you think that another fantasy movie can stand up to LotR?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:28 PM   #50
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<I>The Princess Bride</I> is, obviously, one of my favorite movies. LoTR beats PB out in terms of epic film-making, drama, and special effects (the sound effects for the ROUS in PB are really Ron Howard growling into a mircophone!); but PB definitley trumps LoTR in terms of pure humor. (now, before anyone argues, I know that LoTR was not made to be funny, while PB was) Even though PB will never stand up to LoTR in the traditional sense of rating movies, they are equally wonderful in my book!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #51
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If the matrix films are counted as Fantasy/sci-fi those are at the top f my list(which is very short mind you.) But another good fantasy film is Shrek. Though it is animated it is so Funny i almost wet my boxers.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #52
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

EXCALIBUR, I don't know if anyone has mentionned this film or not, but if it has it deserves to be reiterated. Excellant film with excellant acting, brilliant use of the music of Richard Wagner and Carl Orft. Anyone who likes LOTR will love this film. Nicol WIlliamson as Merlin is great, much more enjoyable than Gandalf the White who is too selfimportant to be charming. <P>Anaal Nakrthath!!! Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis bheatha, do thuar dhéanamh'!!!
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 03:44 PM   #53
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> EXCALIBUR, I don't know if anyone has mentionned this film or not <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually I've never seen it. I was actually going to buy it not long ago on DVD, but i didn't have enough cash. After seeing what you have said though I would definately reconsider buying it.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #54
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anyone who likes Spirited Away (the radish spirit gives me nightmares) should see Princess Mononoke <P>Willow, Labyrinth, the Empire Strikes Back, the Princess Bride and Jurassic Park (1!) are some of my favourites, but none are as well-crafted as LotR. <P>Of course it's not the craftmanship of a film that pushes it into the realm of popular myth, but the ability to capture the imagination of, shall we say, the "lowest common denominator"?<P>So while technically the three LotR films are better, they will sit on a throne along side Star Wars, Harry Potter and Indiana Jones
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote