The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Its about time

Being one of the many who were outraged about the lackof Narsil/Anduril in the first two movies, i for one am ecstatic that the sword will finally be used in the ROTK. Its time for PJ to wakeup and smell the classic books before its too late...anyway,any other new items that are finally being entereed into the movies?
Old 09-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is exciting, isn't it! Ominous objects of high fate are very cool! I look forward to seeing the palantir more. The swirling Saruman scene wasn't enough! I also am looking forward to what the ring might "say" at the end.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Oh yeah, seeing Anduril, the flame of the West, will be a high point. I actually own a reproduction of Narsil, which I was enamoured with when I saw it in the movies. I thought the hilt was so totally awesome! It's like, three-handed.<P>Then I found that there would be alterations to the design for Anduril. Oh well, it's still a great show piece.<P>But I really don't think it could have had more air time in TTT - what place would it have? And I liked it in FotR. I'm actually glad Aragorn didn't carry it around like Tolkien had it - he was a Ranger, in need of a functioning sword! He wouldn't carry the priceless heirloom of Isildur around in the Wild, after all!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
kharank
Animated Skeleton

kharank has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Knight of Gondor. A hunter in the wild, and he carries around a broken sword. And whats more, a truly priceless heirloom!! I liked the idea, but i think it was more mythical and less practical that some other of Tolkiens ideas. I mean, we are told that Aragorn had fought for Gondor under a pseudonym, so he must have had a regular Ranger sword - i think the Sword that was Broken might have been noticed!!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:12 PM   #5
WarBringer
Wight

WarBringer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But I really don't think it could have had more air time in TTT - what place would it have? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It could definately have had a role in TTT-Aragorn faces his first true test in his ascension to the kinghood of men-Narsil/Anduril, the weapon of his ancestors, would be tested in his own hands, in a way testing if he truly deserved to wield it. Of course he passed the test with flying colours.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Aragorn had fought for Gondor under a pseudonym, so he must have had a regular Ranger sword - i think the Sword that was Broken might have been noticed!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Of course it would have been noticed, which is the reason it was kept in Rivendell untill he chose to carry the shards-after his battles under an alias in Rohan and Gondor.