The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-05-2004, 06:36 AM   #1
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

The Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Sauron's height

How tall is Sauron in his earthly form in the first movie?(also, what the hell is he exactly in the first movie, under his armour?)Also how tall is his 'little' tower of Bara-dur, and is this the biggest tower ever made in Middle-Earth?
The Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, there's no definite measurements, buut...<P>Tolkien said Sauron was larger than man-sized, but not gigantic, so I'm thinking around 7-8 feet tall.<P>Barad-dur is the tallest Tower at that time in Middle-earth; the power of the Ring is in its foundations, so I guess that could let it get ridiculously tall without collapsing. Again, no definate measurements, but it's always descibbred as being immsensly tall, a tower with towers of its own...<P>Sauron underneath the armour looked l;ike a hideous humanoid creature. Consdiering his hand "burned like fire" (which is how he killed Gil-Galad, High King of the Elves) I think of him as looking like he's burnt/ashlike.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I haven't read the books! But he looked bigger than 8 foot!!!He's huge!!!And now i know why Bara-dur fell down So did he build Bara-dur before or after he was dis-embodided?I guess before.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I believe that Sauron was larger than 8 feet tall. After all, the tallest Men in Middle Earth history were around 8 feet tall, so I suppose that Sauron was more like 11 or 12 feet tall, at least in his Dark Lord form.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

what did he do to GIl-Galad?Burned him or something?Why didn't he try and kill Sauron?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

He definitely built Barad-dur before he was disembodied. It existed for a verrrrry long time, dating back to the Second Age. <P>Gil-galad did indeed try to kill Sauron, that was how he died. The actual story was that both Gil-galad and Elendil fought Sauron, and managed to overthrow him, although they both perished. Gil-galad was slain by the heat of Sauron's body, meaning, he was burned to death. Isildur then crept up and cut off the Ring from Sauron's hand, and kept it for his own. The movie is very close to being absolutely wrong in that respect.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #7
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The tallest men in Middle-earth were not 8' tall...<P>Also, seems like it should be noted that Sauron had a body (much like the one he had at the end of the Second Age) at the end of the Third Age. He's not an eyeball like the movie seems to project.<P>He obviously built Barad-dur before then since the battle in which Sauron was defeated by Men/Elves was known as the Siege of Barad-dûr - the final 7 years of the 11-year War of the Last Alliance. Barad-dur was built in the early years of the second millenia of the Second Age. It was destroyed in that battle, and the rebuilding in the Third Age began just prior to the War of the Ring.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
nobody
Haunting Spirit

nobody has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elendil was just below '7"11" and was 'the tallest of the Númenóreans who escaped the downfall' implying that there were taller men who either went with Ar-Pharazôn or were before Elendil's time, and Tuor and his father Huor, the tallest of the Edain, might have been taller as well. Sauron must be taller than all of these, and I usually imagine him being about '10'.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

You are confusing me!!!So Sauron fell on that guy and burned him to death?I thought you couldnt kill him?And what's this thing about him being a great vampire who was dripping blood from the neck when he escaped the fight with that huge wolf?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:22 AM   #10
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Was that sarcasm.. I certainly hope so <P>No you see in the <I>book</I> Gil-galad and Elendil both fought Sauron while Isildur (the one in the movies that cut the ring off Sauron's hand) was err, probably just doing some other fighting of his own. Gil-galad and Elendil must have wounded Sauron somewhat but he managed to kill Gil-galad first by burning him to death, I think grabbing his head and literally just burnt him with the heat of his body, while Elendil was cast into a cliff-face (I think) by one of Sauron's blows and Narsil was broken under his fall. But Sauron himself also suffered tremendous wounds from the fight of the two kings and he fell with exhaustion or just pain. Then Isildur merely took his father's sword and cut the ring off Sauron's finger. The rest is as we say, Middle Earth History<P>And where does it say Elendil was almost 8 foot!!!<P>btw can someone direct me to where it tells of how specifically Gil-galad and Elendil died. I remember reading it.. but not where..<p>[ 7:29 AM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Maéglin ]
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I asked the question of heights of Men in another thread and the answers I got from my esteemed fellow Downers told me that the tallest Men were around 8 feet tall.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #12
nobody
Haunting Spirit

nobody has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Igot Elendil's height from UT.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:15 AM   #13
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

OK.So in the film Sauron was kickin man and elf butt, but in the book he was actually just lying there dying and weak?Did Isildur just slice the ring off or take a huge hack?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:18 PM   #14
surjay

Sting

It's rather sketchy as to whether Sauron kicked a lot of butt before he 'wrestled' with Gil-Galad and Elendil whom he slain and was 'thrown down' in the process. It was at this point that Isildur ran (or snuck) up and cut the ring off of his finger.<P>IF, Sauron had engaged anybody prior to meeting Gil-Galad and Elendil (and it's quite likely he bumped into a few people before running into them), he probably tore threw them in a similiar fashion to what PJ shown. Perhaps not AS easily, but that's open for debate.<P>He was able to take out Gil-Galad and Elendil at the same time though, which cannot be overlooked. Either of these guys would of trashed any man or elf we see on the battlefields in the movies, more then likely mowing through hosts of them. The status of these guys cannot be overlooked as I imagine a lot of people might casualy do when thinking, "oh, he took out two people but they took him out in the process?", etc. They weren't ordinary, run-of-the-mill fighters.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #15
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I could swear that I read about Sauron's height and the height of Barad-dûr in that Weapons & Warfare book but I can't find that part now.<BR>Anyway, I recall reading that Sauron was about 7-8 feet tall and Barad-dûr about 100-200 meters high. Not sure though.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

hehehe.Well funnily anough I was on another forum looking at it for research and it's 3000 feet high.Orthanc is 500feet high.