The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2004, 06:21 AM   #1
Araswooon
Newly Deceased

Araswooon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Favourite bit from LOTR Appendix!

I apologize if this has been done before but i'm new here and would like to know what is your favourite bit from the Appendix section from The Lord of The Ring One Volume Edition?

I think the Appendix is fantastic and very interesting don't you?

My favourite bit was from Appendix A:

Here follows one of the last notes in the Red Book.

We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Gloin's son with him because of their great friendship, greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf. If this is true, then it is strange indeed: that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should receive him, or that the Lords of the West should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter.

Last edited by Araswooon; 03-28-2004 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Title was wrong
Araswooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Probably the account of the War between the Dwarves and the Goblins. Very moving I think.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
I rather like Appendix A, II, The House of Eorl,

I've always been fascinated with the whole issue of lineage, which obviously struck out at me with all LotR's family trees. The detailed mini-plots and rich tapestry that was painted for the First, Second, and Third line of Mark Marshals seemed intriguing, each immortally portrayed lord given his own epic plot, that could easily be elaborated on. Rohan was a fascinating place, and though it's roots did not run deep like Gondor, its rural facets caught my eye immediately.

The First Line, beginning with Eorl himself, was most fascinating. Each King oft mentioned, but still sort of unsung in their own rights. Eorl battled nobly and fell after years of battling Easterling raiders. Brego bested these raiders, accomplished the great task of building Meduseld, and held in his son the first expedition into the Paths of the Dead. Deor, almost completely unknown, has a similarly interesting plight dealing with Dunlendings who had taken over Isengard itself, even before Saruman lurked there. Finally, Helm Hammerhand, who I need not speak of. It was all simply and utterly intriguing for me.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the tale of Aragorn and Arwen, particularly relating to Aragorn and Gilraen. I cried a good deal.

I'm rather taken with the section on the Stewards, naturally. And being fascinated by family trees and lines of Kings, anything Gondorian, Numenorean, or Rohirric along those lines will catch my eye.

I have a borderline addiction to the chronologies.

I recently developed a taste for the language section. I frequently spend the evening huddled over the guide to pronunciation, particularly of the vowels.

I have one particular favourite line in the entire Appendix:

"It was heard after that Master Meriadoc came to Edoras and was with King Eomer before he died in that Autumn. Then he and Thain Peregrin went to Gondor and passed what short years were left to them in that realm, until they died and were laid to rest in Rath Dinen among the great of Gondor."

It sets me off into floods of tears. I don't know what it is about Eomer dying in Autumn, but it's a beautiful line and it gives me such a heavy feeling of nostalgia or something similar. I suppose Autumn, being a time of fading, seems the right time to die, and it just makes me sad.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I like the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, and the Timelines that briefly go over the history of Middle Earth. The Tale is in my opinion one of the best tales in the LOTR. Not just because it gives more detail about the two characters above, but also that it is a story that can stand alone by itself, which I think is pretty impressive, and pretty telling of the talent that Tolkien had as a storyteller. I also enjoy the timelines and just in general the passages that tell about the history of Middle Earth before and after the War of the Ring. I love how you get to know what happens to all of the members of the Fellowship, because I hate when an author just leaves you hanging about the future of a character.

It’s such a shame though that so many readers just skip the appendixes, because they really are one of the most unique things about the book.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:18 AM   #6
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Appendix E, of course!

Those runes always fascinate me.

But I also loved the leedle part about the First Age on Appendix A. Sort of alluring. Made me read the Silm.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Bronwyn

I just love the Appendix in general. I was enthralled with the book that finding out what happened to everyone was very important to me. It also made me want to read the Sil.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
The tale of Aragorn and Arwen always seemed to be the most rememberable to me but I liked alot of the appendices as it gives you alot of background on the story itself. There extremely good for reference as well, with all the family trees and maps in them they make a very useful tool.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Appendix B with all the chonologies - especially the part "later events concerning the members of the Fellowship of the Ring." From Appendix A "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" and the part about Thorongil. And the Hobbit family trees fascinate me.

Interesting - most people read the Sil because of the Appendices. It was the Sil that made me read the full of Appendices A and B.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #10
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
I liked Appendix B: The Tale of Years; I enjoyed seeing when certain things happened and how they tied into the events of the War of the Rings. Appendix C: The Family Trees were also really neat. My other favourites were The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, the Shire Calendar, the Pronunciation of Words and Names, and the Angerthas.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:43 PM   #11
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
I liked Appendix A on the Elder Days and the Númenoreans. The Tale of Arwen and Aragorn was good too, as were the family trees and the chronology of the years.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #12
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The Chronology of the Years and the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:12 AM   #13
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
I like "The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age."
tar-ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #14
dkhyrosha
Pile O'Bones

dkhyrosha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dkhyrosha Send a message via MSN to dkhyrosha Send a message via Yahoo to dkhyrosha
I like the story of Aragorn and Arwen, where it tell what happened to all the members of the Fellowship, and of course, the family trees

Dani
dkhyrosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:52 AM   #15
Etharius
Animated Skeleton

Etharius has just left Hobbiton.
This is a tough one.

The first one that I drew considerable attention to was the Angerthas table. Infact I was so intrigued that I went and learnt the damn thing. (Only our letters though= 26 runes).

Other than that i have read the tale of Arwen and Aragorn several times. Its class!

But most of the other stuff i read with difficulty because I have only read LotR.